Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.
Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.
Pros
job security
Cons
extremely stressful
I loved working for VCH and wanted to stay for ever but denied permanent residency which was very sad, was really ambitious and the company was just right, it was one of the best employments in my career. I miss that environment, very friendly people.
Working on the frontlines is rewarding personally, but not professionally at VCH. The upper management are all about the talk but little trickles down that is helpful. The management is clueless to the product of heath care. Everything is top down with little input heard. Input is asked, however it is totally disregarded.
There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.
I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.
Great benefits & pay, but you pay for it with your mental health. So many burned out staff; unable to give quality care with the workload, but still is expected of us. Stressful environment, managers not supportive, very punitive. To succeed, you need to be highly organized, super efficient, really caring, assertive, able to handle high degree of stress, high cognitive function
Great first learning experience for inpatient psych care. Able to secure full time employment and management supportive every step of the way. Morale was great on the unit.
Nice place to work with great nurses. Good stepping stone for further career development. Happy with where it has lead me, but excited to see what's next in my career
Working conditions are such that there are not enough staff members assigned for planned work-load (elective surgeries). For example inadequate personnel are assigned when executing procedures such as a complex case where nursing support needs to be provided for anesthesia as well as for the surgical team performing surgery (elective or emergent). There is one anesthesia assistant available on day shift and one for partial coverage during the evening shift. This coverage does help nurses and anesthesia but does not adequately provide coverage on an elective surgery day when there are two or more acute surgeries commencing simultaneously. Educational opportunities are provided and some funds are available for studies off the hospital campus. Staff are encouraged to participate in team-building activities when off-duty and these are successful events with very spirited involvement by the nurses working in surgical services. Personnel are assigned to specialty services according to their skills and interests. Individuals may ask for assignments where they may expand their skills and knowledge according to their educational needs. All of the Clinical Resource Team Leaders are very capable of supplying support for those who wish to expand their ability to perform scrub and circulating roles. Strong support is provided for these efforts by the OR Educator. The OR itself is a dynamic and challenging environment suited to those who wish to test their learning abilities and stamina. However leadership roles from amongst the "ranks" should be encouraged. Other than - more...
Pros
Excellent peer support and rapport.
Cons
Inadequate staff assigned to execute planned work-loads.
Don't become their employee if you have a disability or get sick often because they will find any way to fire you. They will persecute you and interrogate you on your illness. Then they will fire you instead of supporting you to go on disability. Work for someone else!!!
Such a big hospital with cool stuff going on. There is something for every aspect of nursing. Very organized and lots of support from management.
Pros
New hospital.
Cons
High cost of living in the city
Busy and sometimes exhausting but rewarding in the end. Had an opportunity to work with a different mix of people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Such a diverse range of patients with a rich vibrant culture which helped me not only to grow professionally, but also as a human being.