Vancouver Coastal Health
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, BC136 reviews

vancouvercoastalhealthsupporthospitalorganizationteamcommunity

Good salary, benefits, managers, admin support

Featured review

Vancouver Coastal Health selected this as a representative review
Overall great experience compared to other health authorities. Primary care culture makes it hard to have good work-life balance. Managers in my area were very supportive and helpful

2 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience. Kind regards.

Recruitment process

Am not sure how to put this however the VCH recruitment team needs to get feedback on their hiring process. There is a shortage yet some positions have not been filled for years. People are eager to work for the company yet they simply never get recruited or selected for jobs applied more more than half the time. I think the company needs to come up with solutions towards this.

Insights into Vancouver Coastal Health

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Not the best culture

Management & Senior Executive teams do not care about retaining staff. They are so inflexible & always want you to work in the office so they can micromanage you. They talk about DEI but it’s all for show because they don’t walk the walk (just talk the talk). I’ve worked here for over 10 years and enough is enough!

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. If you have any concerns or complaints about your experience we would encourage you to contact your HR Advisor or email employeeexperience@vch.ca. Kind regards.

Collaborative team with open communication

It was an overall positive experience with supportive staff and management. There were team-building activities and periodical training. Management was responsive and life-work balance was encouraged.

2 August 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thank you.

It's okay, depends on the site you are at.

Some sites are not to bad and you feel like you are doing well there with some great colleagues. However, depending on where you get hired it can be very cliquey(sp?) between the staff. The clients/patients for the most part are good and you can feel like you really made a difference in their life.

Cons

Cliques

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. All the best.

Never enough staff. Management is grossly incompetent.

There never seems to be enough money in the budget for actual ataff on the floor. But the well never seems to run dry when hiring more management. This organization is way too top heavy.

2 August 2022
We’re disappointed to read that you felt your experience with VCH was not a positive one. We’d like to hear more about what your experience was. Can you please email employeeexperience@vch.ca so that we can discuss further? Take care.

Fast pasted work environment.

Good co workers but bad management. Pay is low for the amount of stress you work under. Must be able to multi task. Always working short staffed. Benefits could be better.

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. All the best.

Terrible Leadership and Management! Top down culture.

Wow! I truly have no words after completing a contract at the Corporate office. I’m an RN sing the folks up top are wildly out of touch with the realities of the front line. The organization values quantity over quality of work and you feel like you are spinning in a hamster wheel of meetings and working groups and committees without actually having space to reflect, research, talk to experts etc. It’s bureaucracy and risk management at its true finest and I felt totally unsupported. I

Pros

Fine pay, great clinicians, some great admin and management

Cons

No work boundaries respected, Top down leadership and micromanaging, unsupportive of mental health

2 August 2022
We're sorry to hear you felt you had a bad experience during your time at VCH. One of our strategic goals is to come together to build a better workplace and in order to do so, we take all feedback such as this seriously. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Lots of opportunities for continued education from the Union. Great extended health benefits.

Required to be at work for more than 8 hours, but paid for 7.5 hours. Management is great and always approachable. Staff very supportive of each other.

Front line staff are not valued

Very stressful and a lot of work place bullying. Management is terrible and they do not care about the patients. Low opportunities for advancement. Resistance to positive change. Blatantly discriminatory culture.

Relaxed work environment. Decent pay.

A typical day involves arriving at 7:30 am. Picking up clients, calling clients, running activities. Driving around the city to perform other duties involving the bus.

Great Place to work

Great Place to work. The only downside is the bright lights that give me a headache. Scheduling is online so no annoying phone calls through out the day.

Not Great for Newcomers

Workload is insane for the low pay. Minimum 5 ventilated patients in ICU for example, but could go up to 8. Paper charting, taking ABGs after every small vent change. Most coworkers were nice but some just treat you as if you're beneath them. My orienteer would sometimes laugh condescendingly when I made mistakes and assumed I was deliberately ignoring patients when I forgot a task. Management can easily come off as insensitive with their attitude or word choice. They will also have a "mistakes list" filed on you in secret when starting. It not only compiles serious infractions, but minor errors like going for lunch an hour late (they do not bother asking you to explain the situation). If this list grows sufficiently large it will be brought up in front of all the charge RTs and union, and you'll be quizzed in all future shifts. You'd better be able to answer these questions or you're at serious risk of termination. This questioning makes up a bulk of the "support" they promise you if you need it. They really want to emphasize how much they support you but they make up their mind about you pretty early on, and I suspect they only emphasize it due to the union getting on their case about all the RTs who have quit/been fired in the past year.

Pros

The city itself, and some staff are very nice.

Cons

Curt management, low pay, hectic work environment with little room for error.

Fun friendly staff and residence

I have work in 3 facility and by far VCh is the best place to work. Staff are friendly and helpful. I am always happy to be at work and I like how the manager managing and reminding staff to be careful during this time.

Pros

Staff and residence are friendly

Cons

Long drive for me and hard to fine parking

Had a great time working there too many managers

Good fair pay. Too many Managers changing schedules or asking you too spy on fellow workers and report back. Nurses and co workers are great. If you can handle 12 hour shifts this is a good place to work.

Pros

Decent pay, great team work, everyday is differant

Cons

Too many managers

Awful

Working here was ok at the beginning. Work environment was toxic and unhealthy. Some management were very good and some were not. Some employees were treated unfairly.

Great work environment

Absolutely fabulous place to work. Even though I was on a temporary contract I was fully supported in my role by management. Great opportunities for learning and advancement.I would highly reccomend them as an employer.

Pros

Experienced dedicated managers

Cons

It was only a temporary contract

Disastrous !

Working at VCH as a temporary hire is a real eye-opener. One would have never thought how chaotic and poorly managed this organization is; scheduling, payroll, work duties, training. Everything is a complete mess. Work duties, work hours, work schedule, work locations keep changing, the only thing that remains unchanged is your wage rate. On the upside, it does motivate you to find a "real job".

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours, no benefits, low wage, hostile work-environment

Terrible management and educators

Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.

Pros

job security

Cons

extremely stressful

Has its ups and downs

The day is often stressful, but that is what it is like working in Mental Health. However, management has not been making good decisions lately, and the workplace culture is filled with bullying. If it weren't what I wanted to do for my future, I would have left a long time ago. Recently, budget cuts have harmed so many!

Pros

Some awesome co-workers

Cons

Long hours and little value

Do not work on ortho/trauma

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement