Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews in Richmond, BC

VCH in principle takes care of their employees and have been a fairly good organization.

My transfer to RH has been less than stellar with a non-experienced manager. Unfortunately, a poor manager leads very little room for an employee.

Vancouver Coastal Health tries to have a people first culture, but due to stress for management, many managers fail employees.
Very poor management with no individual or team support
Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare.

Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves.

Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged.

Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them.

Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic.

You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.
Pros
union protected
Cons
very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation
Poor
I came back from maternity leave to find out that i am getting laid off just because my job description was "changing". its a revolving door new managers come fire old assistants and find new ones.
benefits
Cons
micro management, lack of communication, lack of support for women and their children.
Busy fun environment to work in
When the AIF fee first commenced I started working at the Vancouver Airport and sold to travellers. I worked fluctuating hours, at times graveyard shifts. I had a 4 on 4 off schedule and my French Italian skills came in handy. I enjoyed the interaction with international people as well as celebrities that came through. Busy yet enjoyable and varied environment to work in. I handled large sums of cash, therefore my credibility and honesty played a large part in my position. Overall enjoyed the customer service I utilized well and making a difference helping people.
Pros
Meet many international people
Cons
Shift work was a bit trying at times
Enjoyed the opportunity to expand in my knowledge and experience.
My job was all about multitasking various duties, such as printing needed materials, answering the phone/redirecting calls, answering colleagues' questions, setting up groups (booking rooms, confirming attendance with clients, preparing manuals and CD's for use within group, keeping Excel waitlist up-to-date), scoring and entering self-report measures in computer program, running reports and collecting stats. I also took meeting minutes, as well as maintained supplies and kept electronics in working order. Not to be overlooked is that I trained the new secretary in her position in the psychiatry clinics. I provided support with client appointments, etc. and transcription.
I actually enjoyed the adrenaline rush (if I may put it this way) that came from accomplishing various duties and being productive. I specifically enjoyed learning and applying desktop publishing skills, used to prepare manuals and working with Excel spreadsheets.

Unfortunately, I found management personnel to have a high turnover rate. On the one hand, I missed certain individuals that left; on the other hand, I enjoyed sharing information in order to bring new ones up to speed on my work duties and program procedures. I enjoyed working many years with certain ones of my colleagues.

What I found to be the hardest part of my job was the sometimes unpleasant work atmosphere that arose from communication difficulties between some of my colleagues. I personally enjoyed a good work relationship with each of them though.

I truly loved my job and would never have left! But I eventually found myself alone in
 - more...
productive fun workplace
take out the garbage
dust the table

vacuum the carpet

i work with my parents

nothing hard about it

gives me some experience
Pros
fast and easy
Cons
no cons
Both social and fun place to work.
Learned something new everyday.
Multi-tasking at all times makes the day fly by.

Awesome Supervisor.

Co-workers became good friends.
Pros
Pot-Luck lunches, after hours social activities.
Cons
My commute.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Vancouver Coastal Health?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.