Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Do not work on ortho/trauma

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.

Good Workplace, but management needs work

Good Workplace to work, but management needs work. Training manuals need to be updated and workplace drama and politics should not be inflicted onto others.

Pros

Salary and benefits

Cons

Management lacks and workplace drama and politics

VCH is a great place to work. It is a team environment and there is always support available.

I love working for VCH. It is a great environment. It is very supportive of all of it's employees. I work in the downtown eastside community and awareness, safety and compassion are always important issues.

Pros

team environment

Cons

shift work

Used to be a great place to work before management changed for the worst

I used to love my job, then favoritism was brought in and everyone kept hiring people they know and would give other people opportunities. Ruined the work environment. It seems like everyone is related to everyone or were friends before VCH on every floor and unit. plus, after a while, there is no more room to grow. The benefits aren't even that great. My husband works in a bank and his benefits are better (95% coverage) and costs less.

Pros

lots of places to work

Cons

management, low pay raise, bad benefits plan, hostile work environments.

Large organization with a small office feel

I really enjoy working and collaborating with my co-workers on a daily basis. Although VCH is a large organization, our office still maintains a small community feel, which makes coming to more enjoyable! VCH promotes a great work-life balance and provides awesome benefits :)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, co-workers

Great work environment and co-workers

Fantastic place to work. Lots of work available for staff. Only problem is that the organization is quite hierarchical, which creates a lengthy approval process.

Pros

Benefits, co-workers, culture

Cons

Approval process, slow to make decisions

Great Starter Place

I enjoyed the health background; you had a lot to learn and a lot of challenges to understand. Very busy but also very rewarding and challenging. Lots of variety.

Pros

Good Organization, flexible hours

Cons

Medical System can be difficult at times.

Great learning environment

I have enjoyed my time working for this company in the last 10 years. Working environment is comfortable and employees do their work effectively. I've learned to be vocal about my needs and wants.

My day

My typical day at work include checking the slate for what lies ahead for my to organize my time. As the only person in my department I'm responsible for decom, sorting, wrapping, sterilizing and putting away. I've worked part-time for 6 years. Most days are very routine, being in a smaller hospital there's a relationship with the whole team. My family is looking to move to the Pentiction area in a few months.

Great People

Excellent pay, benefits and people that you work with. At certain times it can get very busy so it is important to stay very organized. The hardest part of the job is can get very demanding as we enter the healthcare environment to help, and one learns that it is a team effort.

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

Good workplace culture

The mixed acuity unit has a very supportive work culture. Resources are readily available. I take on 75% of a nursing workload and complete tasks such as assessments, documentation, medication administration, development of care plans, and collaborating with other members of the health care team to meet the patient's needs.

Friendly and Clean Workplace

The staff are very friendly and collaborative. The Nurse Educator is also very supportive and always available and ready to help the new nurses about different nursing skills if they need more training and practice to fulfill their assigned tasks.

Pros

Friendly work environment

Cons

one hour drive from Vancouver

Friendly environment, great staff

Great trauma facility to work in. Site is small and you get to know pretty much everyone that works in the building. Many Orthopedic doctors cycle through making it for interesting radiology work.

Needs improvement

Issues with organization culture, I'd almost go so far as to say toxic. Huge disconnect between directors and management and the front line staff. Healthcare is hard, there is not a lot of spare money or time, but improved leadership and management could help make the most of what is available.

avareage

Start at 9 am. Job is stressful and everyone at work seem tense. Job demands are hard to meet. Working under stressful atmosphere. It inhibits your capacity to work to your full potential.

Pros

helping clients

Cons

stressful work load

Stressful enviornment

very busy offices I definitely have learned to multitask as management believes one person can perform duties that would normal take two people. Workplace can be negative as management is unable to deal with staffing issues adequately. Met a few great staff members Dealing with the public.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Stressful work environment

management was good easy to talk to

management was good easy to talk to , with any job there was up and downs...but hey i worked there for a long time , i was a porter in various departments main hospital , xray , CT . by far my favorite job was the x-ray porter , got to deal with patients nurses and doctors , i loved my ED nurses and doctors ,

Pros

communication

Cons

higachy

Great staff

Nice place to work with great nurses. Good stepping stone for further career development. Happy with where it has lead me, but excited to see what's next in my career

Work-loads and assignments there of require evaluation and assessment.

Working conditions are such that there are not enough staff members assigned for planned work-load (elective surgeries). For example inadequate personnel are assigned when executing procedures such as a complex case where nursing support needs to be provided for anesthesia as well as for the surgical team performing surgery (elective or emergent). There is one anesthesia assistant available on day shift and one for partial coverage during the evening shift. This coverage does help nurses and anesthesia but does not adequately provide coverage on an elective surgery day when there are two or more acute surgeries commencing simultaneously. Educational opportunities are provided and some funds are available for studies off the hospital campus. Staff are encouraged to participate in team-building activities when off-duty and these are successful events with very spirited involvement by the nurses working in surgical services. Personnel are assigned to specialty services according to their skills and interests. Individuals may ask for assignments where they may expand their skills and knowledge according to their educational needs. All of the Clinical Resource Team Leaders are very capable of supplying support for those who wish to expand their ability to perform scrub and circulating roles. Strong support is provided for these efforts by the OR Educator. The OR itself is a dynamic and challenging environment suited to those who wish to test their learning abilities and stamina. However leadership roles from amongst the "ranks" should be encouraged. Other than -

Pros

Excellent peer support and rapport.

Cons

Inadequate staff assigned to execute planned work-loads.

productive

All employees makes the place of work more enjoyable . Vancouver Coastal Health has good management good work culture.The place where I am working have good environment. I learned to be compassionate with every body.and team work culture is there.all employees working there are helping hands to each other.I did not have hard time while working there.

live work place and guided suppport

excellent company with efficient management skills. great place to learn and enhance life and work skills. work ambiance is good along with the good work culture.

Pros

free snacks and teas

Cons

favourism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement