Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Do not work on ortho/trauma

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.

Good starting out job

Learn basic skills as a health social worker. There is little room for growth, however, seeing as there are about 100 social workers and only two supervisors. No funding for professional development.

Toxic work climate

terrible work environment full of toxic people. No two-way communication exists from management to workers. Onboarding and training process is ineffective, and does not facilitate a high-learning climate. I do not recommend working here

Friendly and supportive workplace

The people here always try their best to help each other out and try to be friends with one another. There are moments of urgency and stress and during those moments, people are always willing to try their best to make it work.

Productive and fun workplace

worked Full scope as a Licensed Practical Nurse, excellent place to work in different settings such as: nursing home, assisting living, rehabilitation

Very poor management with no individual or team support

Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.

Pros

union protected

Cons

very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation

Great Place

the team I am working with is amazing and very organize. from the time i start to finish i enjoy it. it is interesting every day, definitely get to learn something new everyday.

benefits

Cons

not flexible

Working with VCH gave me a greater understanding towards assisting patient care. It gave me a general of how the system works in the hospital. I felt that there are a decent amount of opporunities toward workers who work in the industry a lot longer vs those who are very new to the company. I have been experiencing a lot of drama lately and coworkers talking behind each others back....

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Toxic coworkers with bad habits

Great Vacation and Benefits; Poor Management Practices

Arrive to work on-time and leave on-time. A fantastic vacation package consisting of 4-weeks to start, and fully paid benefits (deductibles present for most services). The workplace culture is poor. Management understands this is a problem however not much is done to rectify the issue. Management stated room for growth and advancement opportunities during interview process, however once you are on-board, opportunities are few and far between and given based on seniority (even in excluded environments).

Horrible Management

Management doesn't cares about Employees at all just a terrible Company. I won't recommend Vancouver Coastal Health to anyone there's zero work life balance.

Benefits

Cons

Management is just a disgrace

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

Best workplace and i feel honoured to be a part of the team

A huge previlege to work in an environtment Rehabilitation setting that i felt that i belong! Such compassion, staff expertise and kindness rolled into one.

Pros

Complete Medical benefits and vacation entitlement, paid sick times and paid special/compassionate leave

Cons

long commute to and from work, & skytrain issues/delays

I started as a casual float employee at VGH and have had almost no drama at work. Majority of the people I have worked with have ranged from either pleasant to enjoyable. The work load varies from very light to very busy and most days feel quite fulfilling in terms of feeling valued and needed. The hardest part is witnessing the loss of loved ones. The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by people you are happy to see every shift you work, the stories you share and the friendships you build, especially if you find the unit where you feel you most belong. The only set-back in terms or my position is that there is no real opportunity for job advancement.

Supportive

Vancouver Coastal Health is a very supportive organization and caters well to their employees. The work culture is swamping to be around as other employees are all hard working and professional.

Very fun to work at!

Very fun to work at! It is an engaging environment and my managers were very helpful. It is a valuable opportunity to work as a coop and full time. I really enjoyed the experience.

Hard Word but very rewarding

I loved working at the Extended Care Unit in Powell River. Being a Care Aide is a very hard demanding job but worthy every minute! I moved away and that is the only reason I left ECU in Powell River and would go back there in a heart beat!

Pros

Job stability

Cons

Hard work Mentally and Physically

Productive and fun work place

Very cooperative and considerate employees. Lots of learning opportunities. I enjoyed working in cross-functional teams with diverse backgrounds. Company culture allows lot of employee driven initiatives.

good place to work

I loved working for VCH, love the community support supervisors all way willing to help. and always asking about how the worker is feeling with any new client.

Overall a great experience

I gained valuable skills while at VCH, and I am very grateful for the support and mentorship that I received during my time with the organization. I will miss working with my colleagues at VCH!

Great Place to Work

I have been working with VCH for only a few years now, and I don't have anything negative to say. They are a great company to work for, with lots of opportunities for advancement and education.

Rewarding individuals with bursaries designed to enhance their artistic endeavors. to

Daily take and receive calls regarding applications and awards of bursaries. Record all applications and awards documented on paper and computer. Tabulate monthly amounts issued. Take in documentation to head office monthly for review.

Pros

Meet new people. Experience the results of seeing art projects of clients.

Cons

Not enough hours. Challenges with people with mental illness.

recently adopted business model over client care

Vancouver Coastal Health is one of the several health authorities that has focused more and more on business model undermining authentic and caring team approach

Pros

Vancouver Community

Cons

business model focused on profit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement