Vancouver Coastal Health
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Working at Vancouver Coastal Health: Employee Reviews

vancouvercoastalhealthsupporthospitalorganizationteamcommunity

Good salary, benefits, managers, admin support

Featured review

Vancouver Coastal Health selected this as a representative review
Overall great experience compared to other health authorities. Primary care culture makes it hard to have good work-life balance. Managers in my area were very supportive and helpful

2 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience. Kind regards.

Professional

Great pay; high standards. Large team. Usually get breaks. Lots of PPE and supplies. Lots of parking but it is paid parking. Cafeteria is open long hours

Insights into Vancouver Coastal Health

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Flexible schedule and work load is not that heavy compared to longterm care

Its an honor to be a part of this team. Workers are highly train, making sure to give the best quality service to their clients. Staff are very approachable, supportive and always ready to help.

Recruitment process

Am not sure how to put this however the VCH recruitment team needs to get feedback on their hiring process. There is a shortage yet some positions have not been filled for years. People are eager to work for the company yet they simply never get recruited or selected for jobs applied more more than half the time. I think the company needs to come up with solutions towards this.

management is poor

Management is very poor and often lies to their employees. Union and management do not work things out and the employee looses. They will not accommodate you if you have an accident at work. Your left out of everything. No autonomy and you are just a number.

Pros

location

Cons

everything

Free job on training opportunities.

I hv good experience with Vancouver coastal health. It’s been year since I’ve working on this job. It was govt sponsored program, mean job on training program. We are truly thankful to our employer Vancouver coastal health that they gave us this opportunity.

2 August 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thank you.

Not the best culture

Management & Senior Executive teams do not care about retaining staff. They are so inflexible & always want you to work in the office so they can micromanage you. They talk about DEI but it’s all for show because they don’t walk the walk (just talk the talk). I’ve worked here for over 10 years and enough is enough!

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. If you have any concerns or complaints about your experience we would encourage you to contact your HR Advisor or email employeeexperience@vch.ca. Kind regards.

meh

management could be better. staffing could be better. some support for new grads. various paid educational opportunities offered. dedicated new grad support.

Pros

educational opportunities

Cons

long hours, inadequate staffing

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Please take care.

Collaborative team with open communication

It was an overall positive experience with supportive staff and management. There were team-building activities and periodical training. Management was responsive and life-work balance was encouraged.

2 August 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thank you.

It's okay, depends on the site you are at.

Some sites are not to bad and you feel like you are doing well there with some great colleagues. However, depending on where you get hired it can be very cliquey(sp?) between the staff. The clients/patients for the most part are good and you can feel like you really made a difference in their life.

Cons

Cliques

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. All the best.

Never enough staff. Management is grossly incompetent.

There never seems to be enough money in the budget for actual ataff on the floor. But the well never seems to run dry when hiring more management. This organization is way too top heavy.

2 August 2022
We’re disappointed to read that you felt your experience with VCH was not a positive one. We’d like to hear more about what your experience was. Can you please email employeeexperience@vch.ca so that we can discuss further? Take care.

Fast pasted work environment.

Good co workers but bad management. Pay is low for the amount of stress you work under. Must be able to multi task. Always working short staffed. Benefits could be better.

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. All the best.

Terrible Leadership and Management! Top down culture.

Wow! I truly have no words after completing a contract at the Corporate office. I’m an RN sing the folks up top are wildly out of touch with the realities of the front line. The organization values quantity over quality of work and you feel like you are spinning in a hamster wheel of meetings and working groups and committees without actually having space to reflect, research, talk to experts etc. It’s bureaucracy and risk management at its true finest and I felt totally unsupported. I

Pros

Fine pay, great clinicians, some great admin and management

Cons

No work boundaries respected, Top down leadership and micromanaging, unsupportive of mental health

2 August 2022
We're sorry to hear you felt you had a bad experience during your time at VCH. One of our strategic goals is to come together to build a better workplace and in order to do so, we take all feedback such as this seriously. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Booking Clerk

Good work environment but low pay. Good benefits and vacation. Hoping once they negotiate a new contract for us, the wages will increase. Benefits are fantastic and you accrue vacation and sick days.

Pros

Benefits and vacation

Cons

low wage

2 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Please take care.

Lots of opportunities for continued education from the Union. Great extended health benefits.

Required to be at work for more than 8 hours, but paid for 7.5 hours. Management is great and always approachable. Staff very supportive of each other.

Front line staff are not valued

Very stressful and a lot of work place bullying. Management is terrible and they do not care about the patients. Low opportunities for advancement. Resistance to positive change. Blatantly discriminatory culture.

Nice place to be employed

Awesome company. Great house. Management is very good. Great team work. They work with you and are very understanding if you need time off. Coworkers are also very understanding

Pros

Great hours. Great team work

Cons

Can be hectic at times but very doable

Nurse work

Hardest part of job is handling the increasing workload and commute. Other coworker's are nice and get along well. Managers tend to focus on profit vs patient care

Vancouver Coastal Health Authority does not value its employees

My overall experience working for the company for over 20 years, the pay is OK for my job position but not high enough to be inline with inflation. The medical, dental and extended benefits are excellent. They do have a Municipal Pension Plan and new employees start out on 18 days vacation. As for stress, it depends on which worksite you work at and which job an employee is doing. I personally did not feel valued as an employee by the organization. The organization has a punitive approach towards dealing with issues. It’s a union company but they have jobs that are union and out of contract which is non union.

Relaxed work environment. Decent pay.

A typical day involves arriving at 7:30 am. Picking up clients, calling clients, running activities. Driving around the city to perform other duties involving the bus.

Great Place to work

Great Place to work. The only downside is the bright lights that give me a headache. Scheduling is online so no annoying phone calls through out the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement