Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Do not work on ortho/trauma

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.

Terrible management and educators

Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.

Pros

job security

Cons

extremely stressful

Has its ups and downs

The day is often stressful, but that is what it is like working in Mental Health. However, management has not been making good decisions lately, and the workplace culture is filled with bullying. If it weren't what I wanted to do for my future, I would have left a long time ago. Recently, budget cuts have harmed so many!

Pros

Some awesome co-workers

Cons

Long hours and little value

Great team to work with

Has thus far been a rewarding choice to work for Vancouver Coastal Health, not only have I learned a lot I find the work load to be reasonable as well. We have a great team with positive attitudes and there proves to be opportunities to educate ourselves every day.

Pros

The hours of my position are a perfect fit to my schedule.

I loved working for VCH and wanted to stay for ever but denied permanent residency which was very sad, was really ambitious and the company was just right, it was one of the best employments in my career. I miss that environment, very friendly people.

Official response from Vancouver Coastal Health

8 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Kind regards.

Managers of larger residential care homes do not consult with frontline staff

Front line staff are great; helpful, friendly and respectful. However management often bullies staff and are off-hand and rude to staff when families or residents are not around. Management sometimes lacking in ability to communicate plans, and do not consult with staff regarding any upcoming changes they wish to make, which is very disappointing and can inadvertently lead to feeling of your opinion does not matter.

Pros

Positive environment when management not interfering

Cons

Management tends towards bullying

Some great staff and coworkers. Management not so much.

I worked for Vancouver coastal for 35 yrs. Management comes and goes. Many long time management were treated poorly as well as.On a positive note there was much more atonomy for staff nurses to go about their work with out being followed by superiors micromanaging. Senior staff are often treated poorly and many retired early as a result. Working with some fantastic staff made things better.

Pros

Excellent co workers

Cons

Chronic fatigue and turnover. Of staff

Its okay

Management was not great and didn't give you the support needed. If you had an issue with something, they wouldn't even be listening to your problems. Also, most management are friends and will do everything possible to stab you in the back

Pros

Medical benefits

Cons

No support needed, short staffed

fun workplace.... great coworkers

it's a great place to work and make friends... management supports you. There is training provided.... and you have the support of your co-workers well. we are Unionized... our benefits and wages are pretty good

Pros

allowed to currently work from home

Cons

6am starts take some getting used to.. in the winter... parking is expensive

Can take some time to find the right area/unit that fits

I started out at VGH casual and worked my way through various areas/units as I got my footing. At first it was pretty discouraging as the first unit I was hired in was very poorly managed and the patient/employees both were extremely unhappy. Once I became determined to try different areas I found units that worked and were managed much better. It can be disappointing seeing the lack of resources for both employees and patients at times. I now work in an amazing unit though and really appreciate it after experiencing what I did in the beginning! Healthcare is rewarding and it's nice to be a part of a good team that works together for the health of our community :)

Jobs at Vancouver Coastal Health

See more jobs

horrible employer to work for

Management is inefficient and abusive. Anything goes. I have seen many people destroyed by managements abusive behaviors. They preach a people first philosophy but it is not true at all. As an employee you have no where to go. Human resources department is ineffective, sides on management. Managers kiss up and kick down and get away with it. It is each man for himself, teams are untrusting as the fear is you might be the next target. CEO preaches improvement but there is none. Unfortunate these staff are required by the public as health care providers. Difficult as the staff are just trying to survive the abuse they deal with on a day to day basis. Unions are ineffective as there are so many obstacles in the way. Best is just to hide from management wherever possible. Most of the lower mainland is VCH so if you need a job you just have to suck it up.

Pros

not many

Cons

untrained management- bullying culture

Good but could have been better

Good but could have been better. Not enough hours. But they keep hiring. No benefits until you're regular but goodluck getting that regular job. Im just there for the money I guess. I need to survive.

If you want to be a peon, this is the place for you

Working on the frontlines is rewarding personally, but not professionally at VCH. The upper management are all about the talk but little trickles down that is helpful. The management is clueless to the product of heath care. Everything is top down with little input heard. Input is asked, however it is totally disregarded.

The work experience relies completely on the team lead of the department you are working in.

Vancouver Coastal Employs many highly skilled and professional people. The management of the human resources in Vancouver Coastal is in need of a great overhaul and new life and positive influences need to be instituted.

Fun Workplace

A great workplace, a very nice and friendly environment. Easy to communicate to managers, supervisors and co-workers. The most enjoyable part was going filming on set

Toxic Workplace

Too much favoritism, too much stabbing of the back, too much politics, too much incompetent, to much laziness, sucking up is the norm. If you are incompetent and lazy but you are a master of sucking up, you'd be favoured and get away with everything, you can screw up million times, you are still be best employee. Kudos to incompetent Managers, they thrive in Vancouver Coastal Health.

Stressful at times. Rewarding at others

Teamwork is essential. You have to care about people. Cant be afraid to get your hands dirty. Be a forward thinker. Anticipate what the team needs. There is a lot of Type A personalities here. If your feelings get hurt easily then carefully consider this job.

Excellent Workplace

There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.

Great workplace environment & culture

Have worked at multiple locations within Vancouver Community teams (Mental Health and Substance Use [both Adult and Child & Youth], palliative care). The culture is similar between all and very warm, welcoming coworkers and management at all. Benefits package is decent. Overall a good place to work!

Watch your back ladies

Everything there is punitive - everyone stabs each other in the back. Everyone gossips, and everyone uses managers like a weapon. They have all these feel good policies that make them look like they are a great employer, but those policies are not used to support staff, but rather to sneak attack them with and intimidate.

clinical

it was a clinical placement i enjoyed it was a far commute for me so I dont know if I will apply for a job there or not. a good experience over all. good learning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement