Vancouver Coastal Health
Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Review

16 February 2020
VCH in principle takes care of their employees and have been a fairly good organization. My transfer to RH has been less than stellar with a non-experienced manager. Unfortunately, a poor manager leads very little room for an employee. Vancouver Coastal Health tries to have a people first culture, but due to stress for management, many managers fail employees.
4.0Job security/advancement
2 May 2020
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) - Richmond, BC
Good but could have been better. Not enough hours. But they keep hiring. No benefits until you're regular but goodluck getting that regular job. Im just there for the money I guess. I need to survive.
5 January 2019
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) - Richmond, BC
Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.
Pros
union protected
Cons
very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation
26 April 2017
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) - Richmond, BC
I came back from maternity leave to find out that i am getting laid off just because my job description was "changing". its a revolving door new managers come fire old assistants and find new ones.
Pros
benefits
Cons
micro management, lack of communication, lack of support for women and their children.