Vancouver Coastal Health
Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Review

Can take some time to find the right area/unit that fits

17 July 2020
I started out at VGH casual and worked my way through various areas/units as I got my footing. At first it was pretty discouraging as the first unit I was hired in was very poorly managed and the patient/employees both were extremely unhappy. Once I became determined to try different areas I found units that worked and were managed much better. It can be disappointing seeing the lack of resources for both employees and patients at times. I now work in an amazing unit though and really appreciate it after experiencing what I did in the beginning! Healthcare is rewarding and it's nice to be a part of a good team that works together for the health of our community :)
4.0Job security/advancement
22 April 2021
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) - Vancouver, BC
Managers don't care about how badly the budget cuts effect their employees. Since I started, they have added many more responsibilities on to my job role without appreciation or compensation. Their attitude towards employees is that we are disposable and that we are expected to comply without having any say in what is an appropriate and reasonable amount of work. Many people end up with injuries because there is not enough time to do things properly. Everything is rushed to try and finish the work that multiple people should be handling.
Pros
job security
Cons
extremely stressful
15 April 2021
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) - Vancouver, BC
The day is often stressful, but that is what it is like working in Mental Health. However, management has not been making good decisions lately, and the workplace culture is filled with bullying. If it weren't what I wanted to do for my future, I would have left a long time ago. Recently, budget cuts have harmed so many!
Pros
Some awesome co-workers
Cons
Long hours and little value
12 March 2021
Medical Imaging Billing Clerk (Current Employee) - North Vancouver, BC
Has thus far been a rewarding choice to work for Vancouver Coastal Health, not only have I learned a lot I find the work load to be reasonable as well. We have a great team with positive attitudes and there proves to be opportunities to educate ourselves every day.
Pros
The hours of my position are a perfect fit to my schedule.
  1. Can take some time to find the right area/unit that fits