Vancouver Coastal Health logo
Vancouver Coastal Health
View all Vancouver Coastal Health reviews

Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Review

Busy fun environment to work in

When the AIF fee first commenced I started working at the Vancouver Airport and sold to travellers. I worked fluctuating hours, at times graveyard shifts. I had a 4 on 4 off schedule and my French Italian skills came in handy. I enjoyed the interaction with international people as well as celebrities that came through. Busy yet enjoyable and varied environment to work in. I handled large sums of cash, therefore my credibility and honesty played a large part in my position. Overall enjoyed the customer service I utilized well and making a difference helping people.

Pros

Meet many international people

Cons

Shift work was a bit trying at times

3.0Job security/advancement

Same location

Good but could have been better

Good but could have been better. Not enough hours. But they keep hiring. No benefits until you're regular but goodluck getting that regular job. Im just there for the money I guess. I need to survive.
Same location

VCH in principle takes care of their employees and have been a fairly good organization. My transfer to RH has been less than stellar with a non-experienced manager. Unfortunately, a poor manager leads very little room for an employee. Vancouver Coastal Health tries to have a people first culture, but due to stress for management, many managers fail employees.
Same location

Very poor management with no individual or team support

Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare. Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves. Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged. Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them. Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic. You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.

Pros

union protected

Cons

very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement

Compare Vancouver Coastal Health with

• Vancouver Coastal Health
  • Busy fun environment to work in