Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Canada152 reviews
I started out at VGH casual and worked my way through various areas/units as I got my footing. At first it was pretty discouraging as the first unit I was hired in was very poorly managed and the patient/employees both were extremely unhappy.
Once I became determined to try different areas I found units that worked and were managed much better. It can be disappointing seeing the lack of resources for both employees and patients at times. I now work in an amazing unit though and really appreciate it after experiencing what I did in the beginning!

Healthcare is rewarding and it's nice to be a part of a good team that works together for the health of our community :)
Good but could have been better. Not enough hours. But they keep hiring. No benefits until you're regular but goodluck getting that regular job. Im just there for the money I guess. I need to survive.
Working on the frontlines is rewarding personally, but not professionally at VCH. The upper management are all about the talk but little trickles down that is helpful. The management is clueless to the product of heath care. Everything is top down with little input heard. Input is asked, however it is totally disregarded.
Vancouver Coastal Employs many highly skilled and professional people. The management of the human resources in Vancouver Coastal is in need of a great overhaul and new life and positive influences need to be instituted.
A great workplace, a very nice and friendly environment. Easy to communicate to managers, supervisors and co-workers. The most enjoyable part was going filming on set
Too much favoritism, too much stabbing of the back, too much politics, too much incompetent, to much laziness, sucking up is the norm. If you are incompetent and lazy but you are a master of sucking up, you'd be favoured and get away with everything, you can screw up million times, you are still be best employee.

Kudos to incompetent Managers, they thrive in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Teamwork is essential. You have to care about people. Cant be afraid to get your hands dirty. Be a forward thinker. Anticipate what the team needs. There is a lot of Type A personalities here. If your feelings get hurt easily then carefully consider this job.
There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.
Have worked at multiple locations within Vancouver Community teams (Mental Health and Substance Use [both Adult and Child & Youth], palliative care). The culture is similar between all and very warm, welcoming coworkers and management at all. Benefits package is decent. Overall a good place to work!
Everything there is punitive - everyone stabs each other in the back. Everyone gossips, and everyone uses managers like a weapon. They have all these feel good policies that make them look like they are a great employer, but those policies are not used to support staff, but rather to sneak attack them with and intimidate.
it was a clinical placement i enjoyed it was a far commute for me so I dont know if I will apply for a job there or not. a good experience over all. good learning
Good experience ,working with residents at facilities ,and learn how to work as a team to solve the problems,very good and , friendly atmosphere ,share our experience with co worker,
Pros
Share our experience with others
VCH in principle takes care of their employees and have been a fairly good organization.

My transfer to RH has been less than stellar with a non-experienced manager. Unfortunately, a poor manager leads very little room for an employee.

Vancouver Coastal Health tries to have a people first culture, but due to stress for management, many managers fail employees.
I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.
Leads/Managers/Directors are inexperienced and promoted into positions without possessing the education or knowledge of managing teams and people. Instead they focus only on how fast staff can produce without regard for quality and accuracy. There is a systemic problem that stems with the management that creates a culture of fear, intimidation and disrespect. Staff is not valued, hence the reason everyone working in Decision Support are temporary employees and always refused the opportunity to become a permanent employee. If VCH valued its employees, indefinite temporary employees would be allowed to move into permanent roles after 2 or 3 years. Unfortunately, there are many temporary employees working 4, 5 and 6 years without any hopes of becoming a permanent employee.
Great benefits & pay, but you pay for it with your mental health. So many burned out staff; unable to give quality care with the workload, but still is expected of us. Stressful environment, managers not supportive, very punitive. To succeed, you need to be highly organized, super efficient, really caring, assertive, able to handle high degree of stress, high cognitive function
VCH has changed over the years I was employed there. Many opportunities for learning are there for staff. Management varied but, for most part was open and collaborative.
Very Professional and fair. I have had nothing but a positive experience working for Vancouver Coastal Health. I will continue to offer the high standard care.

Lana Obrigavitch
Vch is a very dysfunctional organization with many errors occurring constantly in payroll and administration as well as a toxic work environment with manager who are deceptive unkind unfair and completely incompetent and unprepared to oversee programming on a regular basis much bullying and favouritism as well as manipulative hiring and employee treatment
It's hard to get your initial job with VCH, but once you do, there is lots of room to grow and for internal transfers so that you can find a job that is the best fit for your interests and skill set. Unfortunately, job security can be double edged in that some of your co-workers and manager may be out paced by their current role and responsibilities, and are not meeting the challenge as well as some others might.

It's unfortunate that despite the innovation that occurs, many of my coworkers are burnt out and jaded working for the health authority, but the money and benefits are good so they are reluctant to give up their position.
Great first learning experience for inpatient psych care. Able to secure full time employment and management supportive every step of the way. Morale was great on the unit.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.