Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Nursing Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2018
I have been working with VCH for only a few years now, and I don't have anything negative to say. They are a great company to work for, with lots of opportunities for advancement and education.
Great place to work: if you want to be bullied to suicide
drug and alcohol counsellor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 April 2018
Vanccouver Coastal Health excels in bullying its front line staff and promoting and overpaid bullying human resources, corporate staff, and managers. They even give anti-bullying merit awards to bullies in positions of power who have bullied staff to the point of permanent injury. And then, if you file a a bullying and harassment claim, Vancouver Coastal Health will collude with WorkSafe to actually accelerate the bullying.

If you ARE a bully, you will be highly successful, promoted, and awarded in this environment.
Pros
some of the benefits, but you will be worked to near death, so you don't have a chance to use them.
Cons
bullies, bullying, pro bullying, happy bullies
recently adopted business model over client care
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2018
Vancouver Coastal Health is one of the several health authorities that has focused more and more on business model undermining authentic and caring team approach
Pros
Vancouver Community
Cons
business model focused on profit
Good Workplace, but management needs work
Program Assistant, Mental Health & Substance Use (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2018
Good Workplace to work, but management needs work. Training manuals need to be updated and workplace drama and politics should not be inflicted onto others.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Management lacks and workplace drama and politics
VCH is a great place to work. It is a team environment and there is always support available.
Clerical Support Clerk (MOA) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2018
I love working for VCH. It is a great environment. It is very supportive of all of it's employees. I work in the downtown eastside community and awareness, safety and compassion are always important issues.
Pros
team environment
Cons
shift work
Large organization with a small office feel
Employee Engagement (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
I really enjoy working and collaborating with my co-workers on a daily basis. Although VCH is a large organization, our office still maintains a small community feel, which makes coming to more enjoyable! VCH promotes a great work-life balance and provides awesome benefits :)
Pros
Work-life balance, benefits, co-workers
Great work environment and co-workers
Employee Engagement (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
Fantastic place to work. Lots of work available for staff. Only problem is that the organization is quite hierarchical, which creates a lengthy approval process.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers, culture
Cons
Approval process, slow to make decisions
Great Starter Place
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2018
I enjoyed the health background; you had a lot to learn and a lot of challenges to understand. Very busy but also very rewarding and challenging. Lots of variety.
Pros
Good Organization, flexible hours
Cons
Medical System can be difficult at times.
Great learning environment
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 February 2018
I have enjoyed my time working for this company in the last 10 years. Working environment is comfortable and employees do their work effectively. I've learned to be vocal about my needs and wants.
My day
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (Current Employee) –  Squamish, BC18 January 2018
My typical day at work include checking the slate for what lies ahead for my to organize my time. As the only person in my department I'm responsible for decom, sorting, wrapping, sterilizing and putting away. I've worked part-time for 6 years. Most days are very routine, being in a smaller hospital there's a relationship with the whole team. My family is looking to move to the Pentiction area in a few months.
Great People
Senior Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
Excellent pay, benefits and people that you work with. At certain times it can get very busy so it is important to stay very organized. The hardest part of the job is can get very demanding as we enter the healthcare environment to help, and one learns that it is a team effort.
Good workplace culture
Employed Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 December 2017
The mixed acuity unit has a very supportive work culture. Resources are readily available. I take on 75% of a nursing workload and complete tasks such as assessments, documentation, medication administration, development of care plans, and collaborating with other members of the health care team to meet the patient's needs.
Friendly environment, great staff
Medical Radiation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Whistler, BC22 December 2017
Great trauma facility to work in. Site is small and you get to know pretty much everyone that works in the building. Many Orthopedic doctors cycle through making it for interesting radiology work.
Needs improvement
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 December 2017
Issues with organization culture, I'd almost go so far as to say toxic. Huge disconnect between directors and management and the front line staff. Healthcare is hard, there is not a lot of spare money or time, but improved leadership and management could help make the most of what is available.
avareage
Child & Youth Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 November 2017
Start at 9 am. Job is stressful and everyone at work seem tense. Job demands are hard to meet. Working under stressful atmosphere. It inhibits your capacity to work to your full potential.
Pros
helping clients
Cons
stressful work load
Stressful enviornment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 October 2017
very busy offices
I definitely have learned to multitask as management believes one person can perform duties that would normal take two people.
Workplace can be negative as management is unable to deal with staffing issues adequately.
Met a few great staff members
Dealing with the public.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Stressful work environment
Great staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2017
Nice place to work with great nurses. Good stepping stone for further career development. Happy with where it has lead me, but excited to see what's next in my career
Work-loads and assignments there of require evaluation and assessment.
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Operating Rooms31 August 2017
Working conditions are such that there are not enough staff members assigned for planned work-load (elective surgeries). For example inadequate personnel are assigned when executing procedures such as a complex case where nursing support needs to be provided for anesthesia as well as for the surgical team performing surgery (elective or emergent).
There is one anesthesia assistant available on day shift and one for partial coverage during the evening shift. This coverage does help nurses and anesthesia but does not adequately provide coverage on an elective surgery day when there are two or more acute surgeries commencing simultaneously.
Educational opportunities are provided and some funds are available for studies off the hospital campus.
Staff are encouraged to participate in team-building activities when off-duty and these are successful events with very spirited involvement by the nurses working in surgical services.
Personnel are assigned to specialty services according to their skills and interests. Individuals may ask for assignments where they may expand their skills and knowledge according to their educational needs. All of the Clinical Resource Team Leaders are very capable of supplying support for those who wish to expand their ability to perform scrub and circulating roles. Strong support is provided for these efforts by the OR Educator. The OR itself is a dynamic and challenging environment suited to those who wish to test their learning abilities and stamina.
However leadership roles from amongst the "ranks" should be encouraged. Other than
  more... the extra responsibility of charge duties
on the week-ends, evening and night shifts there is no opportunity or incentive to take on this onerous task which is not adequately compensated in monetary terms when comparing the work-load and degree of stress involved.
Pros
Excellent peer support and rapport.
Cons
Inadequate staff assigned to execute planned work-loads.
productive
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2017
All employees makes the place of work more enjoyable . Vancouver Coastal Health has good management good work culture.The place where I am working have good environment. I learned to be compassionate with every body.and team work culture is there.all employees working there are helping hands to each other.I did not have hard time while working there.
live work place and guided suppport
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2017
excellent company with efficient management skills. great place to learn and enhance life and work skills. work ambiance is good along with the good work culture.
Pros
free snacks and teas
Cons
favourism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.