Vancouver Coastal Health

Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

It is so mismanaged on T7 and management is extremely toxic and unsupportive. The patients are acute but that is pretty much the same everywhere. The manager often discredits your feelings and make you feel bad about yourself. do not work here if you can avoid it.
Has thus far been a rewarding choice to work for Vancouver Coastal Health, not only have I learned a lot I find the work load to be reasonable as well. We have a great team with positive attitudes and there proves to be opportunities to educate ourselves every day.
Pros
The hours of my position are a perfect fit to my schedule.
I loved working for VCH and wanted to stay for ever but denied permanent residency which was very sad, was really ambitious and the company was just right, it was one of the best employments in my career. I miss that environment, very friendly people.
Front line staff are great; helpful, friendly and respectful. However management often bullies staff and are off-hand and rude to staff when families or residents are not around. Management sometimes lacking in ability to communicate plans, and do not consult with staff regarding any upcoming changes they wish to make, which is very disappointing and can inadvertently lead to feeling of your opinion does not matter.
Pros
Positive environment when management not interfering
Cons
Management tends towards bullying
I worked for Vancouver coastal for 35 yrs. Management comes and goes. Many long time management were treated poorly as well as.On a positive note there was much more atonomy for staff nurses to go about their work with out being followed by superiors micromanaging. Senior staff are often treated poorly and many retired early as a result. Working with some fantastic staff made things better.
Pros
Excellent co workers
Cons
Chronic fatigue and turnover. Of staff
Management was not great and didn't give you the support needed. If you had an issue with something, they wouldn't even be listening to your problems. Also, most management are friends and will do everything possible to stab you in the back
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
No support needed, short staffed
it's a great place to work and make friends... management supports you. There is training provided.... and you have the support of your co-workers well. we are Unionized... our benefits and wages are pretty good
Pros
allowed to currently work from home
Cons
6am starts take some getting used to.. in the winter... parking is expensive
I started out at VGH casual and worked my way through various areas/units as I got my footing. At first it was pretty discouraging as the first unit I was hired in was very poorly managed and the patient/employees both were extremely unhappy. Once I became determined to try different areas I found units that worked and were managed much better. It can be disappointing seeing the lack of resources for both employees and patients at times. I now work in an amazing unit though and really appreciate it after experiencing what I did in the beginning! Healthcare is rewarding and it's nice to be a part of a good team that works together for the health of our community :)
Good but could have been better. Not enough hours. But they keep hiring. No benefits until you're regular but goodluck getting that regular job. Im just there for the money I guess. I need to survive.
Working on the frontlines is rewarding personally, but not professionally at VCH. The upper management are all about the talk but little trickles down that is helpful. The management is clueless to the product of heath care. Everything is top down with little input heard. Input is asked, however it is totally disregarded.
Vancouver Coastal Employs many highly skilled and professional people. The management of the human resources in Vancouver Coastal is in need of a great overhaul and new life and positive influences need to be instituted.
A great workplace, a very nice and friendly environment. Easy to communicate to managers, supervisors and co-workers. The most enjoyable part was going filming on set
Too much favoritism, too much stabbing of the back, too much politics, too much incompetent, to much laziness, sucking up is the norm. If you are incompetent and lazy but you are a master of sucking up, you'd be favoured and get away with everything, you can screw up million times, you are still be best employee. Kudos to incompetent Managers, they thrive in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Teamwork is essential. You have to care about people. Cant be afraid to get your hands dirty. Be a forward thinker. Anticipate what the team needs. There is a lot of Type A personalities here. If your feelings get hurt easily then carefully consider this job.
There are many stressful elements to Emergency Nursing and I always feel supported in my position there. There are amble opportunities for education, advancement and collaboration.
Have worked at multiple locations within Vancouver Community teams (Mental Health and Substance Use [both Adult and Child & Youth], palliative care). The culture is similar between all and very warm, welcoming coworkers and management at all. Benefits package is decent. Overall a good place to work!
Everything there is punitive - everyone stabs each other in the back. Everyone gossips, and everyone uses managers like a weapon. They have all these feel good policies that make them look like they are a great employer, but those policies are not used to support staff, but rather to sneak attack them with and intimidate.
it was a clinical placement i enjoyed it was a far commute for me so I dont know if I will apply for a job there or not. a good experience over all. good learning
Good experience ,working with residents at facilities ,and learn how to work as a team to solve the problems,very good and , friendly atmosphere ,share our experience with co worker,
Pros
Share our experience with others
VCH in principle takes care of their employees and have been a fairly good organization. My transfer to RH has been less than stellar with a non-experienced manager. Unfortunately, a poor manager leads very little room for an employee. Vancouver Coastal Health tries to have a people first culture, but due to stress for management, many managers fail employees.
I highly recommend VCH. They are very supportive for new hired employees. The culture is very welcoming and there's always room for growth and opportunities.