Vancouver Coastal Health Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  601 West Broadway, Vancouver, Britsh Columbia8 January 2019
worked Full scope as a Licensed Practical Nurse, excellent place to work in different settings such as: nursing home, assisting living, rehabilitation
Very poor management with no individual or team support
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 January 2019
Too many layers of management within one department with no one taking accountability. When they hit a glitch, they start to point fingers at others. No support from managers for their team. Too much red tape and beaucracy which frustrates patients. They say People First, but it isn't people first for patients and certainly not for employees. Under the Ministry of Health, they take millions of dollars of taxpayers money to profit in healthcare.

Pay is not good for administrative staff and there is no room for promotion but only horizontal moves.

Those who call under casual or temporary full-time are most disadvantaged.

Mgmt only appreciate you because they are short in staff and desperately need to keep you working. Once they get what they want, you become just another employee #. I have not met one manager who actually cares about the employees after them.

Young managers have power ego choosing to intimidate and bully rather than communicate in an effective way. You may say this is an exaggeration but believe me, you will only experience this throughout Richmond VCH once you are in the system. Then you become just another statistic.

You will only regret it if you work for Vancouver Coastal Health. If you are, it is because you have fallen into the union umbrella and fit right into it all.
Pros
union protected
Cons
very poor management who don't support; not flexible for vacation
Great Place
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2019
the team I am working with is amazing and very organize. from the time i start to finish i enjoy it. it is interesting every day, definitely get to learn something new everyday.
benefits
Cons
not flexible
Clerk (Current Employee) –  VGH16 December 2018
Working with VCH gave me a greater understanding towards assisting patient care. It gave me a general of how the system works in the hospital.

I felt that there are a decent amount of opporunities toward workers who work in the industry a lot longer vs those who are very new to the company. I have been experiencing a lot of drama lately and coworkers talking behind each others back....
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Toxic coworkers with bad habits
Great Vacation and Benefits; Poor Management Practices
Recruitment Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 December 2018
Arrive to work on-time and leave on-time. A fantastic vacation package consisting of 4-weeks to start, and fully paid benefits (deductibles present for most services). The workplace culture is poor. Management understands this is a problem however not much is done to rectify the issue. Management stated room for growth and advancement opportunities during interview process, however once you are on-board, opportunities are few and far between and given based on seniority (even in excluded environments).
Horrible Management
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 November 2018
Management doesn't cares about Employees at all just a terrible Company. I won't recommend Vancouver Coastal Health to anyone there's zero work life balance.
Benefits
Cons
Management is just a disgrace
Best workplace and i feel honoured to be a part of the team
Rehabilitation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laurel street, Vancouver, BC29 October 2018
A huge previlege to work in an environtment Rehabilitation setting that i felt that i belong! Such compassion, staff expertise and kindness rolled into one.
Pros
Complete Medical benefits and vacation entitlement, paid sick times and paid special/compassionate leave
Cons
long commute to and from work, & skytrain issues/delays
Nursing Unit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2018
I started as a casual float employee at VGH and have had almost no drama at work. Majority of the people I have worked with have ranged from either pleasant to enjoyable.

The work load varies from very light to very busy and most days feel quite fulfilling in terms of feeling valued and needed.

The hardest part is witnessing the loss of loved ones.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being surrounded by people you are happy to see every shift you work, the stories you share and the friendships you build, especially if you find the unit where you feel you most belong.

The only set-back in terms or my position is that there is no real opportunity for job advancement.
Supportive
Mental Health Worker/Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 October 2018
Vancouver Coastal Health is a very supportive organization and caters well to their employees. The work culture is swamping to be around as other employees are all hard working and professional.
Very fun to work at!
Accounting Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2018
Very fun to work at! It is an engaging environment and my managers were very helpful. It is a valuable opportunity to work as a coop and full time. I really enjoyed the experience.
Hard Word but very rewarding
RCA (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC25 August 2018
I loved working at the Extended Care Unit in Powell River. Being a Care Aide is a very hard demanding job but worthy every minute! I moved away and that is the only reason I left ECU in Powell River and would go back there in a heart beat!
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Hard work Mentally and Physically
Productive and fun work place
Management Consultantt (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 August 2018
Very cooperative and considerate employees. Lots of learning opportunities. I enjoyed working in cross-functional teams with diverse backgrounds. Company culture allows lot of employee driven initiatives.
good place to work
COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKER RCA (Former Employee) –  N.Vancouver25 July 2018
I loved working for VCH, love the community support supervisors all way willing to help.
and always asking about how the worker is feeling with any new client.
Great Place to Work
Nursing Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2018
I have been working with VCH for only a few years now, and I don't have anything negative to say. They are a great company to work for, with lots of opportunities for advancement and education.
Rewarding individuals with bursaries designed to enhance their artistic endeavors. to
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 April 2018
Daily take and receive calls regarding applications and awards of bursaries. Record all applications and awards documented on paper and computer. Tabulate monthly amounts issued. Take in documentation to head office monthly for review.
Pros
Meet new people. Experience the results of seeing art projects of clients.
Cons
Not enough hours. Challenges with people with mental illness.
recently adopted business model over client care
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2018
Vancouver Coastal Health is one of the several health authorities that has focused more and more on business model undermining authentic and caring team approach
Pros
Vancouver Community
Cons
business model focused on profit
Good Workplace, but management needs work
Program Assistant, Mental Health & Substance Use (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2018
Good Workplace to work, but management needs work. Training manuals need to be updated and workplace drama and politics should not be inflicted onto others.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Management lacks and workplace drama and politics
VCH is a great place to work. It is a team environment and there is always support available.
Clerical Support Clerk (MOA) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2018
I love working for VCH. It is a great environment. It is very supportive of all of it's employees. I work in the downtown eastside community and awareness, safety and compassion are always important issues.
Pros
team environment
Cons
shift work
Used to be a great place to work before management changed for the worst
Clerk - Film Library (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
I used to love my job, then favoritism was brought in and everyone kept hiring people they know and would give other people opportunities. Ruined the work environment. It seems like everyone is related to everyone or were friends before VCH on every floor and unit. plus, after a while, there is no more room to grow.
The benefits aren't even that great. My husband works in a bank and his benefits are better (95% coverage) and costs less.
Pros
lots of places to work
Cons
management, low pay raise, bad benefits plan, hostile work environments.
Large organization with a small office feel
Employee Engagement (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
I really enjoy working and collaborating with my co-workers on a daily basis. Although VCH is a large organization, our office still maintains a small community feel, which makes coming to more enjoyable! VCH promotes a great work-life balance and provides awesome benefits :)
Pros
Work-life balance, benefits, co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vancouver Coastal Health. Our community is ready to answer.