Vancouver Aquarium Employee Reviews

Fun and Educative Environment to work at.
Showtime Pictures Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 April 2019
Learn a alot about Mammals and Oceans working there. Only challenge was in the slow season and less traffic for visitors. Overall , a great place to work at.
Pros
Happy Place for adventure
Cons
Slow days
great volunteer experience
Practicum (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 April 2019
The biologists and coordinators really appreciate the volunteers and they help they give to the facility. There are many different roles available, and once you have the minimum amount of hours, you are permitted to change roles if you wish to learn something new. I love learning about the animals there, and in turn being able to educate the public.
Pros
free admission
Cons
Great atmosphere and awesome opportunity
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC17 March 2019
I loved working at the Vancouver Aquarium for the few months that I did. The staff was extremely friendly and the other volunteers were kind as well. It was amazing to be able to see what happens behind the scenes and the preparation needed for the school programs.
Pros
Friendly Staff and Fun Atmosphere
Cons
n/a
Very caring about staff
Customer Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2019
The Vancouver Aquarium is an excellent place to work. They care about their staff and animals, as well as try to make the guests feel at home. Management is supportive of staffs needs.
Customer Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2019
Workplace culture is very nice, if you enjoy a fast past setting.There is always lots to learn about the job and the animals. Visitors are understanding during peak seasons, and special events.
An awesome place to work at
Customer Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 November 2018
Work with amazing team, very supportive team members.

You get learn about conservation, ocean wise initiatives, how plastics affect our oceans today and marine wildlife.

During holidays and weekends, it gets really busy to the point that its way too crowded in galleries sometimes.

Adorable sea otters make your day so much better.
Not the most positive experience
Food Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 November 2018
While staff were mostly fantastic, the management needed improvement. Shift leaders and supervisors were often showing favouritism towards certain employees that made the environment less welcoming.
Pros
Discounted meals, tickets for family and friends
Great company, low wages
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 November 2018
Working for the Vancouver Aquarium as a Sales Associate can be fun as well as very stressful.
The environment is positive and friendly, yet there were some downsides I did not expect prior to working there.

Depending on the team, sales targets can be incredibly high, you won't have many weekend days off (which I guess is expectable in a Retail position) and sometimes it can get extemely loud.

Something else I found a little disappointing was that staff will usually be given short-term contract roles which will be renewed over and over, rather than a casual contract or regular PT/FT - so if someone is looking for a long-term perspective this might not be the right place, depending on their role.

Besides that you get to work with super nice and cool people, there's fun events and great food in the restaurant to which you get a staff discount!

The HR Manager cares a lot about each employee and does a great job.

Generally speaking I'm sure in every department you'll be able to find friends - whether you're a part of their team or not.
People usually work really close together, everybody is very supportive and it can be a great opportunity to learn more about our oceans and marine life.
Pros
free admission for friends&family, great staff, discounts on merch and food, Otters!
Cons
barely any weekends off, long hours, repetitive tasks, low wage
a great place with interactive work enviornment
Child Educator volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 October 2018
overall the Vancouver aquarium was a delightful place to work, my co-workers and the manager was very nice and kind. I got a lot of hands-on experience and was able to learn a lot.
Pros
discount on lunches
Volunteer Position Great for Students
GALLERY EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 June 2018
I had a volunteer position as a gallery educator. Great experience for young people looking to add something to your resume. Wonderful staff and you receive excellent training.
Pretty Cool
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2018
I did the work experience program there and it was super fun. I learned a lot and the people I got to volunteer with were amazing. Overall I am really glad that I volunteered here and I would gladly do it again.
Great place to work, learn lots about the ocean!
Visitor Experience (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2018
Love working here, always learning about ocean issues and hanging with the sea otters. Not a long term place if you want to be able to support yourself in this city.
Pros
Animal co workers
Cons
self supporting = low wages
Very educational working environment
Gallery Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 April 2018
While working at the aquarium you are constantly on the go. Your co-workers are very helpful as everyone wants to achieve the same goal. I learned a lot about the animals as well as the goals and priorities of the organization itself.
Semi-Productive Kitchen atmosphere
BBQ Chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 February 2018
9-5 shifts, opening and closing.
Usually busy.
I learned a lot about working in a kitchen and how to work with a proper team.
It was always hard during lunch rush when we would have to pump out food.
I liked it because it taught me how to work and always stay on my toes.
Pros
Free lunches, 2 breaks
Cons
Long commute, bad management
amazing
Membership Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 December 2017
great people, friendly environment, always helpful with schedule, people always talking, really calming with all the animals and especially the great people you talk to
great place to work
Mechanical Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 November 2017
great place to work, but not much advancement unless you have a degree. Very nurturing environment and friendly people. Great location, not good pay. If you can live simple, no worries.
Great place to work!
Photo Experience Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 September 2017
Great management and amazing co-works!

I really enjoy working at the Vancouver Aquarium

Take nice photos of the guests, sell, answer questions related to the Aquarium and Stanley Park.
Pros
Great and easy going co-workers
Great place to volunteer
Gallery Educator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 August 2017
The Vancouver Aquarium is a great and dynamic place to volunteer, with each shift cleanly laid-out. As a Gallery Educator, I learn something every day regarding the animals and the organization every single time I volunteer. The management and staff are welcoming and flexible, far nicer than what I first expected when joining. The hardest part about volunteering there as a Gallery Educator, I believe, is being able to communicate perfectly. As a fluent English speaker, it can be difficult to word my sentences to maintain guests' interest and be informative at the same time. That being said, I really enjoy volunteering there. They provide you with everything from discounts to volunteer jackets and lockers. Seeing the animals and staff every shift (especially the sea otters and dolphins) make my day. I have volunteered at large social events, in kitchen environments, etc, but I honestly do not think I have had a better volunteer experience elsewhere.
Pros
Discounts, free admission, and able to see the animals on shift.
Cons
Being outside regularly.
An enjoyable work experience that offers a variety of knowledge on sea life
Gallery Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2017
Volunteering with the Vancouver Aquarium was a very rewarding experience as I welcomed and interacted with many visitors. Retaining a positive work ethic along with a pleasant attitude was a key aspect to succeeding in this position. Having a basic knowledge in marine biology and keeping calm in stressful situations was mandatory.
Pros
The work culture was very exuberant
Cons
The hours were very long and the placement dates were on back to back days.
Great people, amazing environment
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 May 2017
Great people and an amazing environment. Learn a lot about conservation and interact with a lot of interesting individuals. Has a really nice community.