VanCity

VanCity Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews
Very professional and considerate. Friendly and very supportive team members. They have confidence in your role and provide all the necessary tools needed for the job.
A good experience for me, employer is very accommodating and considerable
Vacation and time off was good

Sick days and even family member take care day off as well
Over 20 years in the financial industry, this institution has to be the worse management team in my career. Unqualified people are made managers who are clueless at best. Promotions are based on chronistic practices, someone from a call centre can be leading any team just base on their connection. Vancity is just an idealistic institution with no clear directions. Systems are dated and people in the institution thinks too highly of themselves who would not accept any directional pointers. They think they know how the entire industry work. Not a place for anyone who aims to work hard to climb the corporate ladder. Join a global bank and you will be better of.
Good workplace, nice and professional people, productive environment. I was also happy with a team I worked with. In general, I was very pleased working at Vancity.
10/10 times I would always recommend people to apply at Vancity. The culture is great, the people are great, working with clients and building relationships with them is fantastic. Best company I’ve ever worked for.
Great company, focus on values not profit only. Management is helpful and supportive. I Would highly recommend. The workplace culture is not stressful at all.
Simply an amazing company to work for. Had the pleasure of working with a great team and learned a lot while i was with them. They truly prioritize the wellbeing of their employees/
Contacts don't get honoured. Management decisions inconsistent.Flexible schedules.Work environment awesome.Decent compensation.Good work life balance.Good location,very accessible by transit
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Constantly changing policies
There is a lot of project and changes on the go! Many opportunities for people in accounting or personal/business finance.There is always something new to learn.
Pros
free lunches, good benefits, opportunities
Cons
Overtime
Working For Vancity was such a great experience. They really appreciate their employees and I really hope one day to work again for this great company! It really feels like a family
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at VanCity?
Everyone is working to a common goal and for the local community. Lots of opportunities to advance within the business too. I really enjoyable place to work
I worked at Vancity and did not like it at all. I worked there for 7+ years and did not like a second of it. I was pushed around. Once my previous boss lily retired I was done.
Pros
The pay, vacation
Cons
Everything else
A great company for the city of Vancouver and great outlook on volunteering and being involved with the community. The company morale is lacking, and is becoming a negative under appreciated place for people that have been there for a while. The culture and management need is some departments are very poor, some management is wonderful. It varies greatly.
Pros
volunteering and brand
Cons
morale
all you need to know is to not pursue unless 3 shifts a week is enough for you, otherwise many other factors come into play to challenge your experience in continuing to be positive. promotion is seniority-based, as is signing up for extra shifts, and favoritism or those with seniority give shifts to those they like instead of a fair an equal opportunity for all interested. if that suits you, it is a 24/7 environment and you may work late or overnight to start, and be assigned extra shifts on your days off if nobody else opts in for them. the benefits are great and the company as a whole is worth being a part of, and your character matters more than your skills as skills can be developed.
Pros
benefits and wage
Cons
part-time hours, seniority-based extra shifts and opportunities, unpredictable shifts
Not meritocratic
Management was political-take action that arouses the least amount of headache

Pay was very poor, substandard for the industry

Abuse from senior workers was tolerated

Advancement was political

Worklife balance was non-existent
A typical day at work is processing invoices and employee expenses. Answering queries to vendors and employees re. payment status and other vendor related concerns. I developed myself to be a real team player on this job. To help each other to meet deadlines. I also improved my customer service skills. My co-workers would like to enjoy the sunshine by the seawall if the weather is really nice. My company supports healthy life style so you would see a lot of people running during their lunch breaks. The hardest part of the job is the challenge to meet your deadlines during high volume and short staff. With I developed my time managing skills.
Pros
incentive shares
Cons
high volume
Although there was some upheaval in the projects, the staff and managers are well aware of their options, and press forward without undue pressure. An excellent environment, providing opportunities for growth, training, and experience.
I have never met co-workers that placed so much fun and humor in their work; yet provided excellent I.T. support.
Cons
some difficulties with staff getting the computer hardware and accounts set up for new hires.
I liked working here, but they were barely scheduling me which ended up making me quiting because of the less hours. The co workers were amazingly friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job is having nothing to do at times. Most enjoyable part is when your able to help customers out. I learned that I'm really good at talking to people and this helped me overcome my fear of public speaking. Management was alright, but could be much better!
Pros
friendly enviorment, fast training
Cons
less shifts, not that much work to do