VanCity Employee Reviews

Love this Family
Health and Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 August 2018
Working For Vancity was such a great experience. They really appreciate their employees and I really hope one day to work again for this great company! It really feels like a family
Community Business Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 August 2018
Everyone is working to a common goal and for the local community. Lots of opportunities to advance within the business too. I really enjoyable place to work
Poor
Senior Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 March 2018
I worked at Vancity and did not like it at all. I worked there for 7+ years and did not like a second of it. I was pushed around. Once my previous boss lily retired I was done.
Pros
The pay, vacation
Cons
Everything else
Great company brand and morals
Risk department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 September 2017
A great company for the city of Vancouver and great outlook on volunteering and being involved with the community. The company morale is lacking, and is becoming a negative under appreciated place for people that have been there for a while. The culture and management need is some departments are very poor, some management is wonderful. It varies greatly.
Pros
volunteering and brand
Cons
morale
Difficult to move up, part-time income not enough
Cardholder Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2016
all you need to know is to not pursue unless 3 shifts a week is enough for you, otherwise many other factors come into play to challenge your experience in continuing to be positive. promotion is seniority-based, as is signing up for extra shifts, and favoritism or those with seniority give shifts to those they like instead of a fair an equal opportunity for all interested. if that suits you, it is a 24/7 environment and you may work late or overnight to start, and be assigned extra shifts on your days off if nobody else opts in for them. the benefits are great and the company as a whole is worth being a part of, and your character matters more than your skills as skills can be developed.
Pros
benefits and wage
Cons
part-time hours, seniority-based extra shifts and opportunities, unpredictable shifts
Highly unfair and demoralized workplace
Seat belt tester (Former Employee) –  Vancouver25 September 2013
Not meritocratic
Management was political-take action that arouses the least amount of headache
Pay was very poor, substandard for the industry
Abuse from senior workers was tolerated
Advancement was political
Worklife balance was non-existent
Fun workplace and health conscious co-workers
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 July 2013
A typical day at work is processing invoices and employee expenses. Answering queries to vendors and employees re. payment status and other vendor related concerns. I developed myself to be a real team player on this job. To help each other to meet deadlines. I also improved my customer service skills. My co-workers would like to enjoy the sunshine by the seawall if the weather is really nice. My company supports healthy life style so you would see a lot of people running during their lunch breaks. The hardest part of the job is the challenge to meet your deadlines during high volume and short staff. With I developed my time managing skills.
Pros
incentive shares
Cons
high volume
Excellent office culture, relationships, and opportunities
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 June 2013
Although there was some upheaval in the projects, the staff and managers are well aware of their options, and press forward without undue pressure. An excellent environment, providing opportunities for growth, training, and experience.
I have never met co-workers that placed so much fun and humor in their work; yet provided excellent I.T. support.
Cons
some difficulties with staff getting the computer hardware and accounts set up for new hires.
Fun and friendly enviorment.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 May 2012
I liked working here, but they were barely scheduling me which ended up making me quiting because of the less hours. The co workers were amazingly friendly and helpful. Hardest part of the job is having nothing to do at times. Most enjoyable part is when your able to help customers out. I learned that I'm really good at talking to people and this helped me overcome my fear of public speaking. Management was alright, but could be much better!
Pros
friendly enviorment, fast training
Cons
less shifts, not that much work to do