Van Leeuwen Pipe & Tube

Van Leeuwen Pipe & Tube Employee Reviews

Good Career Development, Stable Employment

My experiences were good overall. The ex-general manager was tough but was generous and gave a lot if you worked hard and did right for the company. The new GM is younger therefore I would expect the culture to change and appeal more to millennials. The company is solid financially and offers steady employment.

Pros

Reasonable expectations.

Cons

Stress, like any other job.

An okay place to start a career

Good place to start and build some experience. No career advancement opportunities, Leadership and place in market questionable. Tries to do too much with not a lot of support to back up major undertakings.

Not a good place to work.

My first day I heard nothing but complaining from the other loader operator and two swampers about everything from management to the working conditions. The owner, Vern, isn't liked because he's extremely condescending and disrespectful and it was usually in a group setting, like a mandatory lunch. Not once in my seven months did the owner or management talk to me one on one about how things were going at the pipeyard. Seems like they're clueless as to how things are at the yard and all they care about is money and not about safety or how their employees are doing. I brought up many safety concerns to my supervisor and a person who worked at the yard who was on the "safety" board but they didn't change anything and they didn't work safe themselves. It's easy to see why they have a high turnover rate. Was this review helpful?

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Management and the lies and backstabbing.

Stay away if your not a “company man”

-terrible management -favouritism abound -you get to shovel the Directors home in the winter time ( he demands it) -also in the summer time you get to mow his lawn If your not a Company man you have no hope in this company... this is a high turnover job where power goes to people’s heads

Pros

Birthday cakes

Cons

The Managing director and QA leader

No guidance whatsoever

GM is always gone, other managers offer little to no guidance on the direction they want to take the company. They set you up to fail. GM will come back for a day or 2, complain about something ridiculous, and leave again.

Pros

They do a free BBQ in the summer every 2 weeks

Cons

Managers are too passive, no guidance.

Great place with advancement opportunities

Vanleeuwen Pipe and Tube is a fast-paced work environment, with various positions working together to provide excellent products and customer service. While working for this company, I learned how to search for heat numbers and provide much need mill test reports to our customers, to meet their requirements. My co-workers were friendly and polite and for the most part quite easy to work with. The hardest part of my job was rush orders, where sometimes upwards of 50 pages needed to be printed and trucks needed to be called for transportation in a very short time frame. The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere and the general feel of teamwork.

Pros

Great Vacation time, great benefits package, profit sharing and Friday staff BBQ's.

Cons

Very fast pace and occasionally high stress

Good Environment

I enjoy the wide range of tasks. The training given was excellent. They made sure I was provided with all the knowledge I needed. Overall good salary and great benefits.Hired under the impression there would be job security, nothing is a guarantee in this economy unfortunately.

Pros

Lots of learning

Cons

Long Commute

good company overall and alot of good people

i loved my job there it was a good company filled with alot of good people i worked there for over a year and would of stayed longer but the schedule got difficult for me i needed a normal shift instead of switching from days to nights

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation

Cons

changing shifts

Storied steel company with great management.

The company has incredible management and certainly flies under the radar within the steel industry, working on very large projects on a regular basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Van Leeuwen Pipe & Tube. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement