Value Village Employee Reviews

High stress for minimal pay.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 October 2019
Employers are encouraged to rate workers as low as possible on reviews to lower raise amounts. Despite it's immense success and massive profit margins, company only pays minimum wage while expecting unreasonable amounts of work, even with absent employees or low attendance.
great place to work
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC18 October 2019
enjoyed my time at value village. was disappointed when they let me go due to missing another staff members cash drop in a secured and locked box during a closing shift
ok
Temp. Production Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2019
The visions behind VV is great. I simply wish for people's hard work to be recognized. Management and co workers are fun and respectful. If able to switch between tasks during the day while in production, that may boost the moral of the workers. So they dont stand in one place all day.
well organized
CDC Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 October 2019
Busy
Gotten familiar with names and uses of different household items
Not bad
Fact paced and job oriented
no hard parts, because i see challenges as means to grow and not complain
Meeting people and putting a smile on donors faces
Sort up to one ton of donations per shift.
Product Processing (Former Employee) –  Windsor On17 October 2019
Demands for amount of donations processed per shift. What I learned is that the ratio of waste versus selling product was high in my estimation. Management and co-workers were pleasant enough to work with. The hardest part of the job was the realization that it was a for profit company. They would throw items away that could of been used by other agencies in need. Customer satisfaction when the items met their needs.
On site Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON14 October 2019
24/7 customer care
Offloaded trucks, toke donations.
Tuesdays were the busiest day due to promotion.
Got along with management well
Left company on good terms
Great team of people to work with
Production supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 October 2019
been working with the company for 5 years got a promotion and was treated equally to others would recommend to others in the future. Also good location.
Productive place that works with a non profit to help support local communities.
Team Member/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE12 October 2019
-Full time hrs 8-4:30 Mon.-Fri.
-Sort through all the donations to put out the best ones.
-10,000 new items get put out daily.
-Start out the shift by resetting the store so that items are in their proper place and old items that didn't sell get taken off and recycled.
-Two separate parts in the store to work in: The Sales floor and the Production room.
-Hardest part was keeping up with your quotas. Everything is on a timed basis.
-Hands on training from Management as well as team members.
-Everyone got along well. Family atmosphere.
-A for profit company that has a relationship with a non profit.
Pros
50% off discount. Benefits
Cons
Standing in one place for a while
Not as good of a deal as you think
Pricer/ Roller (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 October 2019
730am - 4 pm hours --> but such a toxic place to work.
Lots of gossiping and bullying on an employee level not to mention the bullying that the management team does to the staff.
Store manager hovers and criticizes almost daily (sometimes new targets other times old ones)
High injury rate due to the repetitive nature of the jobs.
Extremely dusty back room
Happy environment
Sale associate (Current Employee) –  1651 Merivale Rd9 October 2019
Still new but so far its one of my best experiences, lovely helpful managers to co-workers, everyone knows each other and are good friends. Diverse and you feel free to express yourself
Too stressful
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC8 October 2019
Always never sure of job security. It's all about the numbers nothing else. Management is always ruled by unjust and unfair regulations by their American counterparts. Making you sign documents without giving you a copy. Telling you that you cannot tell people what happens there. I think they should be crushed and sued.
Friendly staff and great workplace culture
Front of Store Team Member (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 October 2019
Working at Value Village is fun and fast--paced. It's never boring, and you get to learn a lot of new skills. The management is friendly and accommodating, and I liked everyone I worked with. The only frustrating part of the job for me was the til because there was a little bit of pressure; the best part was definitely the satisfaction of helping the environment and community, and accepting donations. A typical day in the front of the store might include opening duties, accepting payment, creating savers club accounts, operations in the change room area or at the display case, maintaining the shelves and clothing racks, helping customers locate items around the store, and cleaning up.
Full time monday to friday 8 to 430
Benefits after 6 months
3 weeks vaction
Terrible
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 October 2019
Fired me for having anxiety and even had a doctor diagnose me with it. I was also told by multiple coworkers they hated it there but only stayed because of the hours and because they couldn’t find another job
Managment alway tries to make your day a good day !
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC5 October 2019
I was treated well and my manager went above and beyond to change my schedule to help out with
my family life ! They also would buy lunch sometimes or bring in little treats.
Poor morale
High Potential (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC5 October 2019
The job itself overall isn’t terrible beyond bad customers and the fact there are just as many supervisors as there are team members, but the biggest issue I’ve faced is how terrible the scheduling is. Split weekends, and closings to opens back to back are normal and a work life balance is near impossible when the schedular decides to put you until 10pm every day for 3 weeks. Also, you’re expected to clean the public toilets with Inadequate supplies.
Pros
Occasional free lunch and great discount
Cons
You’re stretched far too thin
Co-workers are awesome to work with
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON4 October 2019
Slave yourself daily since no day shift workers do anything

No customer service at all, you need to maintain the store with 2 other employees.

What I’ve learn is to be a better person and choose my words before speaking at this place. The Retail Sales Manager and the Store Manager are just awful people. They disrespect you as a person and lie to your face. They are not accountable for their actions. They both do not like each other and talk about each other like teen girls.

Very negative place to work at.
Love My Team
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Rexdale, ON4 October 2019
I absolutely love my team. My coworkers for the majority are awesome people. Supervisor pushes us to the core to meet quota which I won’t lie is TOUGH but she’s great. Manager is also just as great. It’s a really tough job but the pace makes the day go by fast. I wouldn’t change my team for the world. They are the best.
Fun place to work with a lot of benefits.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC3 October 2019
Supervisors and team members are really friendly, when I first work there. You also get 50% employee discount on clothes, can also get a benefits on medical and dental after 3 months, which is really great.
It was a wonderful 2 years
Retail salesclerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 October 2019
It was my first real job I learned a lot, the team members and management were great. However, Halloween is the busiest time and you will have many hours which can be a good thing or be a thing. It is a very easy job and the hours aren't that bad if you are willing to do them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Value Village. Our community is ready to answer.