Value Village Thrift Store Employee Reviews

It was ok
Goods Sorter (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 March 2018
I really did not enjoy working there at all. I found out my dad was passing away and i felt that they did not care at all. I was really hurt that the manger did not take the time to care.
Pros
I liked the people i work with.
Cons
I did not care for the manager.
Value Village
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 March 2018
The company provided a very friendly, positive environment. Although the work was very demanding, the interactions you had each shift often made up for it.
Pros
friendly
Cons
demanding
Meh
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 March 2018
The store manager yells a lot and degrades the workers. I was being trained and was yelled at for not putting out enough items. It's very dusty, dirty and you may have to deal with poo poo.
Pros
sometimes free food, free coffee, benefits
Cons
bad management, dirty, dusty, stressful
value village
Production Line Staff (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 March 2018
Always busy. I learned about how to work in a team, that communicating clearly is important to finish the assigned task. The management is excellent. work culture is you have to be fast.Hardest part of the job is during holidays, we need to achieve the quotas on time.
Pros
you longer hours of break.
Cons
Work sometimes can affect your health because of the used clothes being sorted.
Exhausting
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
Honestly, If you're in high school or first year in university it's an ok job. But if you're needing references don't stay there long. It's a waster of time especially you're not planning to stay for a long time.
Pros
co-workers are friendly
Cons
You can lose your job if you don't give out a certain amount of club cards, unsavory shoplifters
A day at value village
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON18 March 2018
A typical day at value village means opening or closing the shop, being a cashier, cleaning up the change rooms and items on the floor and even accepting donations.
horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2018
horrible place to work! Management rather than helping customers is busy worrying about whether the employees are doing things that they can write you up for. All in all horrible
Pretty terrible store to work at, bad corporate culture.
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings-Sunrise, BC16 March 2018
Employees were nice and tried their best to do the job, however we never had enough people due to profitability being higher on the chain than employee safety.
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS14 March 2018
it can sometimes feel unorganized and is a very busy job, the slow days feel extremely slow and the days (sales, weekends) go by rather fast. the managers are great people and there is a bit of a family vibe that goes on there.
Value Village does great things with regards to recycling and helping the community.
DONATION CENTRE ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK12 March 2018
The work is hard, but it is with good people.

The floor is constantly being rearranged, and all structures are built on-site. It can be very physical no matter what department you are working in, but it is rewarding to see a job done well.

At times communication is lacking, but typically complaints are heard and addressed.

My favourite part of the job is seeing all of the nifty, unique items and sharing my love of thrift with customers and co-workers.
Nice atmosphere
Customer Service / Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 March 2018
It was a good job, you had a daily goal that you were given and they let you work towards it, my co-workers were excellent and friendly, and helped out to accomplish the daily goals.
I highly enjoy working here and I like the benefits included with the job.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven11 March 2018
It is a great part-time job. I love the staff that I work with, as well as the management team. I really enjoy dealing with customers and being a friendly face for each and every customer.
not bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2018
overall decent place to work. liked the people and the management was okay as well. they were strict about certain things but you got used to it. would work there again,
productive
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 March 2018
stressful but enjoyable work environment. the people were nice but the work could be unpleasant. Management wasnt always the easy to get along with at times.
Horrible job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 March 2018
Company is great but local management is terrible. Verbally abusive. I developed an ulcer from working here. Worst job ive ever had. Do not work here if you value yourself at all.
Typical retail job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC4 March 2018
Work is fast paced
Basic retail job
Has good benefits for Full-Time Production Team Members
Has some bonuses for Operations Part-Time Members
Open to people with disabilities
Not exactly a "super fun" job when it comes to the environment itself, but it's a job.
Pros
you get paid
Cons
it's retail
Overall Experience
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON26 February 2018
Worked for the company for almost 9 yrs. Not overly bad to work for them, but many cons most wouldn't consider unless placed in the job environment themselves.
Pros
full time with benefits
Cons
stress and headaches
fast paced work environment with great staff
Cashier/CDC Attendant (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB24 February 2018
it was a very easy job to come and go from the hours where consistent and so was the staff. sometime expectations where quite high and that did put a little stress on the staff creating slight tension. They are very strict about recycling with good reason, and the company its self is very passionate about helping the planet and people. good staff programs like health care, sick days and vacation time.
It's an interesting place
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 February 2018
A typical day involves helping customers at cash and clearing any obstructions or fallen sales items off the floor. I learned how to interact with customers, how to properly handle cash or credit card purchases, and patience for others. Management itself is alright, they're usually trying their best to help you but more often than not are too busy dealing with customers to have time to assist you. The workplace culture is actually quite nice, the other employees are quite nice and everyone relates pretty well with each other since we all work together in similar positions. The hardest part of the job is keeping your calm while you deal with the occasional difficult customer or the shoplifters that come in all the time due to the area the location is at, since they'll often mouth off at you. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I had worked with and meeting all sorts of people at the till.
Pros
Flexible hours, kind coworkers, fairly lax dress uniform
Cons
Schedule errors occur often, safety is a concern due to the area
Productive and Constantly on the go
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS19 February 2018
Cleaning and restocking racks and shelves. Looking for dead stock and assisting customers. Taking phone calls and putting them through to the right team members.
Pros
Team fund for for lunches and or events.
Cons
Not enough hours, Too many on-call shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Value Village Thrift Store. Our community is ready to answer.