Value Village Thrift Store Employee Reviews

Fun to work at
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 April 2018
the customers always came in with a smile on their face and left with a smile on their face.

Customers were very understanding when it was my first day and i didn't understand the programs used to scan the items.
Great beginner job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2018
As a first job this was a great opportunity. A typical day involved either going around the store and cleaning, or working the cash register. You learn simple tricks on how to keep a store clean, how a store is generally run, and how to deal with customers. The best part of the job was the people, as we all had each other's backs and supported one another. The hardest part was trying to keep the store clean.
Pros
Many fun events, flexible hours
Cons
Dusty environment, busy
Fast paced
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 April 2018
This company is a fun place to work most of the time but you will \definitely feel overwrought during the 50 percent sales and at Halloween. These are the busiest times of the year. The cleaning up of the store after closing is horrendous.
Other than that, I mostly enjoyed my time there both as a team member and as a supervisor.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
long hours need more money
Productive and fun workplace environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 April 2018
I had a wonderful experience at the Pickering Value Village. In a normal day I would spend time on the sales floor, at cash, assisting customers and tidying fitting rooms. Before working at Value Village, I had no cash handling experience. I was trained on cash and since I had a great teacher, I enjoyed learning this new skill. Another new skill I learned was how to deescalate a situation with customers. Having the ability and knowledge of dealing with tough situations is good to have because you never know how someone is going to react. The management staff at Value Village were always helpful and friendly, which is one of the reasons I applied for a position there as well. The Value Village in Pickering opened in May of 2016, so I was unsure of the customers that we would get. After a few shifts I noticed that there were several regular customers as well as new faces. Value Village supports Diabetes Canada which makes the culture between staff and customers so strong. I found that it was a very fast paced job, but I enjoyed my time there and I would encourage other people to apply to Value Village.
Pros
Amazing community of staff members and customers.
Cons
Inconsistent hours. Some weeks less than 10 hours, other weeks with 30 plus hours.
Great co-workers, meh management
Customer service attendant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON24 April 2018
Overall, a pretty nice retail job, relatively nice benefits
like with any other, there are horrible, idiotic customers, on a daily basis
sale days are horrible, customers are like vultures, and they leave a disaster on the sales floor, like literally 50% of everything is on the ground, and you gotta pick it up, while also balancing cashier duties, where the lines are also hectic
Pros
Paid sick days and vacation
Cons
hectic sale days
Environmental friendlybecause of items being re-used.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 April 2018
A typical day is trying to get used to different customers and their moods. Great place to shop for very unique bargains. The hardest part of the job is smiling when customers are rude and abnoxious. The great part is knowing that reducing waste helps the environment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No benefits as a part-timer
One of my favourites
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 April 2018
Had it's ups and downs but was one of my favourite jobs (as both a team member and a supervisor) due to the culture and staff.
Customers on the other hand can be crazy. We've literally broken up fights over items on the shelf... not to mention frequent cop calls for drunk/high shoppers and other weird things... in general it is an entertaining job especially if you enjoy Halloween (they dress up everyday)
nice people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2018
Management could be better but its easy to swap shifts or give away shifts if you are a part time worker. workplace culture is good, everyone is nice and I made a couple friends there, hardest part if the job would be when it got busy and the manager or supervisors keep switching every ones positions because it gets messy.
Pros
flexibly work schedules
Cons
always scheduling problems
productive environment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta17 April 2018
Company keeps goods that are able to be reused out of landfills and by reaching daily quotas from warehouse they can supports non profit organizations in the community by supporting their causes
Learned alot in retail
Cashier, Sales Representative, Costume Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 April 2018
I love the managers as they teach me as I go, they are patient with me even at the first few times at work. The stressful part of the job is having to deal with customers who wants things their way, yelling and demanding customers. This is part of the job nonetheless our co-workers and managers work around to give them the satisfaction. It's enjoyable if you keep an optimism in this workplace.

Had to leave due to starting a new semester in school.
Its a job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL14 April 2018
paid the bills. the staff was excellent , but im more of a server type of girl. Its a great place to work as long as you are an easy going person. Mgmt kinda sucked.
Value Village
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Its an exciting place to work cause you get to meet all kind of customers coming to shop at the store and you need to treat everyone with kindness and being friendly with everyone
fun place
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 April 2018
the managers and staff made this place a fun and safe place to work at. we had several fun things throughout my time here halloween was the best time of the year.
Decent work
CDC Attendant (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON8 April 2018
This was my first job. I cannot complain about anything. The training was quick yet effective so i quickly got to work confident that i knew what i was doing. Management was well organized and they always ensured to meet my needs as much as they could. Overall, great first job.
Sloppy workplace with many hazards
Community Donation Centre (CDC) Team Member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 April 2018
Company policies constantly change with little to no communication of the changed policy to the work force. Workplace culture is very unprofessional, which is a boon to any who prefer that.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Disorganized
value village
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC2 April 2018
its a busy place to work. always something to do. lots of interesting finds. great team members, customers are the biggest challenge and the shoplifters.
Enjoy working in a fast paced environment, strong communicator and nice with people.
CDC Ambassador (Current Employee) –  942 Jefferson Avenue28 March 2018
hard but fun work
I learnt how to treat with a costumer
Very kind management
Very good culture
When a costumer is upset from the company
Getting a lot of donations from the people
Pros
Cons
No food
Absolutely wonderful
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC28 March 2018
A lot of the bad reviews made me feel really sad they had a bad experience.
I’ve never worked somewhere where you actually feel excited to go to work every shift.
Management and staff are amazing and I’ve never seen such a great work atmosphere, with such good synergy amongst fellow co workers.
We have such amazing regular customers too.
Management believes in you and wants to see you grow.
With hard work and dedication growth with the company is imminent.
I would recommend Value Village to anyone who is looking for something new and exciting.
Pros
Great work atmosphere, good synergy amongst co workers, wonderful regulars
productive
Team member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2018
Everyday is busy. There is a quota to reach for the week. I learned how to choose which items to be sold and to be recycled. Its a hard labor job and hardest part for me is lifting.
Pros
very helpful staff and you get all the training needed
Cons
less hours on winter
It was ok
Goods Sorter (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 March 2018
I really did not enjoy working there at all. I found out my dad was passing away and i felt that they did not care at all. I was really hurt that the manger did not take the time to care.
Pros
I liked the people i work with.
Cons
I did not care for the manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Value Village Thrift Store. Our community is ready to answer.