Value Village Thrift Store Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
Most people at Value Village team are happy, helpful and friendly. Love working here. In busy days, the store can get messy very quick and its up to us to take care of it. Everyone helps each other and that's the most important.
Pros
Friendly supervisors and managers
Cons
Security issues (theft)
lots of expectations for min wage
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 November 2018
very dirty and not enough room for workers to move safely. If you look at the production room it looks like slaves are working in the 16th century. They want you to speed up to the death.
Managers are very lazy and they think they are from a different world than us. They are not there for you and just asking to speed up.
Do not work in there unless you have to.
Hard work if there are only 4 employees for the day
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 November 2018
A typical day at work would consist of the store being extremely busy and we would never have enough employers to keep the store clean at all times. Instead everyone is that the cash register while 2 people have to sort through the clothes at the fitting rooms and the other has to clean the whole store by themselves. Apart from 2 managers the management was great. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see all the seniors shopping.
Pros
30% off of your purchases
Cons
Unpaid lunch and sometimes annoying customers from the Dartmouth general
Fun but it's very hard!
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS3 November 2018
I loved the people I worked with, they were like family and I made a lifelong best friend out of it, but the job wasn't worth what I was making and the management didn't know what they were doing for the first year the store opened in town
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
The gross work we did
Souless place to work
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2018
So much gossiping,from staff and management.
Management and supervisors are extremely disrespectful
It's all about working you to the bone
Never work here
Pros
Benefits, fulltime
Cons
Everything else
Decent job with awful management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2018
The employees are great, but management does not accommodate their employees, and uses negative reinforcement. Customers are also an issue, more often than not they do not listen to what people tell them.
Cons
In-consistent hours, awful management
A very good first job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON23 October 2018
Its busy when they have the big sales. The back you sort threw bags of clothing off of giant 7 foot carts stacked with bags. Sometimes up to 1,200 pounds and you have a time limit depending on the weight , For instance i did a 1,200 pound cart and got 27 minutes to rip the bags open and sort the clothing and the shoes ,, house wears, jewelry ect. Very fast paced. Shirts need to be hung in 6 seconds everything is on a time. Even the racks they bring out have to have 100 items and you get 15 minutes to sort it and bring it to each section . you sign in your time and the time youre done.
Pros
helping people
Cons
Sometimes donations have quesetionable items
Unrealistic expectations
Production roller (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 October 2018
Don't care about staff. Mandatory shifts not told about in interview. Worked 33hrs a week when agreed to 25 on hiring. Pushing for quotas all the time
Pros
Cons
Unrealistic expectations.
One of the most interesting places to work
Part Time (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2018
A typical workday at this place is usually kind of boring something is always messy so there is a lot to do when you are there. It is filled with so many different workers so there is a little bond at work, even people you didn't get along with you learned to coexists with and that's the beautiful thing about that place. You can't not stop but to have conversation with people even customers. Unfortunately , we can not stop doing our work for three seconds to talk to customers, as there is strict rules about talking to customers at this work place. Which is weird at a workplace because with such a diverse population it is important to know who you are around. You can meet some wonderful people, some people who walk a different path in life and some real creeps. That is the number one thing I would want someone to take from this review, it is be aware that it is not in the safest location, and people can be quite intimidating. Mangers are a mix some of them are very respectful of people of colour, and different gender expression though mangers did say there would be change and I did have a couple of mangers who actually cared about my existence and my identity and it really helped me get along. Big turnovers and can't trust most lead mangers. It is honestly mentally exhausting and can go from five hours to 9 hours. You have to learn how to have a hectic life.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Lack of respect for identity
My coworkers are like family and it is a great environment to work in.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 October 2018
• Value village taught me patience and good communication skills with both the customers and my coworkers.
• My job includes handling cash properly, cleaning up the store (general recovery), helping customers find what they want, organizing racks of clothes in order, managing multiple tasks at once, putting away items to their proper place and seeking out loss prevention.
Pros
I get along with the people that work there and the customers.
Cons
Not enough pay
Under paid and does not respect scheduling requests
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC7 September 2018
Hired as a part time worker but too often scheduled for full time hours without permission. I am not working full time hours consistently, I do not receive benefits. This employer has absolutely zero respect for days off booked even in advanced and releases finalized schedules as soon as 1 week in advance.
Honestly, working part time and going to school is a -10/10. dont do it
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 August 2018
Management would goof sometimes which was really frustrating. The warehouse-like environment was super awful for me. My coworkers were pre cool though and so was one of my supervisors so that made it bearable. Still, I sure didn't working my butt off at school all day and then having to go to work to support the family. Moral of the story is, do fast food. But, thanks for the job anyhow, value village.
Pros
cool co-workers
Cons
customers
was alright alright people typical production line
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 August 2018
typical fast paced working environment. lotsa good looking chicks mostly woman except the 5 recyclers they were males including me very good team 30 people in a medium warehouse sorting tables bailers for clothing and a lot more
Pros
free lucnhes coffeee breaks
Cons
7 till 4 the shifts were long and sometimes had to work sat or sun for stat
Horrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON25 August 2018
The manager and one supervisor verbally abused people daily. Never in my entire life have I been treated so horribly. Management has clear favourites, those favourites can do whatever they want while everyone else runs around to pick up their slack. People constantly left in tears and the turnover rate was out of control because of how everyone was treated. Do not work at this location.
Pros
Decent discount, good hours
Cons
Not given proper breaks, daily verbal abuse, rules don’t apply to everyone
Value Village
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC24 August 2018
A typical day at work is the same day in and day out, you know what to expect when you walk in. Very repetitive, mundane work. Simple stuff that one could really get a grasp on easily, it's just a matter of being monotonous and tiring, employees are really being pushed to hit daily quotas. As for workplace culture, everyone bonds over the way we're treated and what's expected of us. If you can work under pressures, you're good at repetitive tasks, by all means.
Pros
Great co-workers, discounts, being ecologically friendly
Cons
Terrible place to work.... don’t recommend it to anyone
Productions (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 August 2018
minimum wage,very hard work, no vacation for 1 year, rules changes as they choose, favortisim with staff, no compassion, understanding ... OVERPRICED!!
Pros
50% discount, medical benefits, no weekends
Cons
Very physically demanding, poor work conditions, terrible management
Very picky management
Children’s clothing pricer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 August 2018
Expected to price 6 racks of clothing per day must meet your quota or will not pass your 3 months probation if items are priced too low they remove them from the Shelf and make you reprice them Value Village is very expensive for a thrift shop and I believe that their price points are too high. I was pricing six to seven hundred items per day which is very physically demanding.
They should really make the store more affordable for low-income families. The hours were very good you still had time for yourself and your family it was Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.. very hard work physically demanding to meet your quota each day. I liked the job I just couldn't see myself doing it for a very long time but I did meet my very best friend when I was working here and we are still friends for over 10 years
Pros
Pleasant coworkers, flexible hours
Cons
Meet quotas, picky management
working at Value Village
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2018
Fun environment to work, feels like part of the family. Great team to work with. Understanding and open minded management team. Horrible customers expect best customer service. People don't have respect.
Pros
discounts
Cons
long hours..unpaid for management
Stayed purely for the coworkers.
Production Worker/Machine Operator/Recycler (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 July 2018
Not a place to stay long term. Management are the reason no one truly stays. Openly talk about negative workers and will degrade you in front of other team mates. I started as a sorter in the back and the wooden box we had to stand on made my back as a constant angle to where i was leaning over the tables and forced to sort. Id nearly been brought to tears throught the pain before the seniority of older co-workers brought managers attention to the matter after id many times told her. Since i was new and wouldnt stick around they didnt accommodate until after. I stayed 3 years and even stepped up to fill our recyclers shoes when both quit the same day. Heavy lifting unloading trucks packing and buildinf carts and never appreciated because it was a mans job. Manager always called and favored my partner who was indeed a male and half the time slacked off.

However. It was a job. I gave it all effort as i felt i owed them some as they even gave me a chance to be hired.
Pros
Great coworkers, free coffee, and discount
Cons
Long hours, usually concrete floor, can be dramatic, judgmental managers
Easy going
CDC Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Ontario5 July 2018
I enjoyed this job because it is an easy going job where once you know the way everything works you're free to take initiative to get jobs done on your own.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Bad managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Value Village Thrift Store. Our community is ready to answer.