Value Village Thrift Store Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Decent job with awful management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 October 2018
The employees are great, but management does not accommodate their employees, and uses negative reinforcement. Customers are also an issue, more often than not they do not listen to what people tell them.
Cons
In-consistent hours, awful management
Horrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON25 August 2018
The manager and one supervisor verbally abused people daily. Never in my entire life have I been treated so horribly. Management has clear favourites, those favourites can do whatever they want while everyone else runs around to pick up their slack. People constantly left in tears and the turnover rate was out of control because of how everyone was treated. Do not work at this location.
Pros
Decent discount, good hours
Cons
Not given proper breaks, daily verbal abuse, rules don’t apply to everyone
sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2018
General cleanup such as hanging clothes, organizing items.
Organizing fitting rooms.
Being a cashier and helping with customers.
Cleaning bathrooms...
Pros
employee discount
Great beginner job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2018
As a first job this was a great opportunity. A typical day involved either going around the store and cleaning, or working the cash register. You learn simple tricks on how to keep a store clean, how a store is generally run, and how to deal with customers. The best part of the job was the people, as we all had each other's backs and supported one another. The hardest part was trying to keep the store clean.
Pros
Many fun events, flexible hours
Cons
Dusty environment, busy
Productive and fun workplace environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON26 April 2018
I had a wonderful experience at the Pickering Value Village. In a normal day I would spend time on the sales floor, at cash, assisting customers and tidying fitting rooms. Before working at Value Village, I had no cash handling experience. I was trained on cash and since I had a great teacher, I enjoyed learning this new skill. Another new skill I learned was how to deescalate a situation with customers. Having the ability and knowledge of dealing with tough situations is good to have because you never know how someone is going to react. The management staff at Value Village were always helpful and friendly, which is one of the reasons I applied for a position there as well. The Value Village in Pickering opened in May of 2016, so I was unsure of the customers that we would get. After a few shifts I noticed that there were several regular customers as well as new faces. Value Village supports Diabetes Canada which makes the culture between staff and customers so strong. I found that it was a very fast paced job, but I enjoyed my time there and I would encourage other people to apply to Value Village.
Pros
Amazing community of staff members and customers.
Cons
Inconsistent hours. Some weeks less than 10 hours, other weeks with 30 plus hours.
nice people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 April 2018
Management could be better but its easy to swap shifts or give away shifts if you are a part time worker. workplace culture is good, everyone is nice and I made a couple friends there, hardest part if the job would be when it got busy and the manager or supervisors keep switching every ones positions because it gets messy.
Pros
flexibly work schedules
Cons
always scheduling problems
Value Village
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 March 2018
The company provided a very friendly, positive environment. Although the work was very demanding, the interactions you had each shift often made up for it.
Pros
friendly
Cons
demanding
horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2018
horrible place to work! Management rather than helping customers is busy worrying about whether the employees are doing things that they can write you up for. All in all horrible
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS14 March 2018
it can sometimes feel unorganized and is a very busy job, the slow days feel extremely slow and the days (sales, weekends) go by rather fast. the managers are great people and there is a bit of a family vibe that goes on there.
not bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2018
overall decent place to work. liked the people and the management was okay as well. they were strict about certain things but you got used to it. would work there again,
A Dirty and Dusty Enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 February 2018
worked in all departments of company, assist with setting up seasonal store fixtures, worked on cash, donation area, stock racks with clothes and assists costumer with items.
Pros
meeting new people, seeing cool stuff
Cons
disorganzied managment, tons of shoplifters, extremely arrongant supervisors
fast peace work
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 January 2018
long hours , hard work a lot of walking and organizing , lifting ,bending and kneeding down ,and also you have a limited to do all the work which sometimes may include others responsabilities too
Fun People
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 December 2017
You work with great people but the company needs some work. Management is unprofessional and it can be an unfair working environment especially when it comes time to asking for days off/vacation time
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Fun and productive very busy
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 October 2017
This place is great to work at benefits can be much better. Managers suck, they are always changing. Food is great learned a lot there. Coworkers like family 🙂
Pros
Picnics
Great first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2017
it is a great first job as they train you on cash, customer service, keeping up, working in fitting rooms. I work part time and have never gotten under 10 hours in a week. The team is very friendly and fun. They understand that you have a life outside of work and almost always give you time off when you ask. Your breaks are respected
Pros
50% off, bonuses when goals are reached