Value Village Thrift Store Employee Reviews

Run from this place
Retail Clerk, Donation ambassador (Former Employee) –  2010 Victoria BC14 May 2019
The only thing you meet here are a group of happy workers slaving for American capitalist. Bad management, unhealthy and unsafe work place, toxic low level managers, poor pay, deception by the management, ill-mannered receptionists at the head office. They select stooges and vulnerable immigrants to become managers so they can exploit them. It is suicidal to think of working here.
Pros
Happy immigrant workers
Cons
every other thing is BAD
Decent first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB22 April 2019
Each day was very stressful. I am not going to butter this up. You deal with the type of people who complain to you about prices as if you make them. You deal with drunk people. People who don't have any respect for the store or products. You deal with people who tell you how to do your job as if they know. You deal with disgusting bathrooms. I was not a fan of anything Value Village customers have to do with the experience.
Pros
two fifteen minute breaks and one unpaid half an hour break
Cons
rude customers, have to deal with breakable housewares
bad management, stressful, and underpaid
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 April 2019
So overwhelming for just minimum wage! Management is constantly staring at you well you work. Worst job i ever had!...................................
Pros
Morning shifts
Cons
Under paid and bad management
family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 March 2019
I really loved working at the village. we all became a big family. I would have stayed there forever but. When things didnt go the way the manager wanted they found a way to get rid of you
Disgusting
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 March 2019
YOU will be treated like a piece of trash plan and simple. Overworked and underpaid . Lots of pressure and very bad treatment no matter how good a worker you are or how hard you will you will never hear a kind word and will be degraded on a daily bases. I will never put anything in a donation box again.
Pros
there are no pros to working here
Cons
everything, if you like being abused this is the place for you
Toxic environment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON11 March 2019
Overall the work is pretty easy and the benefits are good. Pay is minimum wage with the possibility of a 50 cent raise per year. The biggest issue is the workers and work culture is very toxic. I've described working here as being similar to being in an abusive relationship, I'm sure you can figure out why once you've worker for this company.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Good place to work for students
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 March 2019
Worked with really good co-workers! Got really busy on sales day and weekends so it was a little stressful. Had a good management team that would always help out when dealing with difficult customers.
Experience is really the only thing I received
Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 February 2019
The work started out okay, but I soon started to feel target by the management. I would do something that was in my task, and when I would take a small breather, I would get berated by a supervisor or manager who would just think that I wasn't doing anything for a while.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Only high hours during the busy holiday seasons
Stayed for Co-Workers/ Terrible Management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2019
-Was part time but got full time hours with no benefits
-Worked there for close to two years and got no promotions
-Management was difficult to talk to and breathed down your back
-Cut your hours down to nothing (got 10 hours one week)
-On Call shifts were waste of time, didn't need you 90% of the time
-Co-Workers were a joy to work with and made work easier
-Dusty environment can make you sick
-Bugs and other things are crawling (got bit once)
Good people. Decent Job. Bad management
CDC Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 January 2019
It's a good job when management isnt making illogical decisions that only benefit them and not the success of the team members. The staff is friendly, and is the main reason I stuck around as long as I did. They are great for working around your availability. This is not a job for people who tend to become stressed out easily.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Physically and mentally exhausting
Unprofessional and immature management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 January 2019
It's an okay first job for students but there are better minimum wage jobs. Management doesn't get paid enough and have too big of a workload so they are always on edge. Managers do not treat their workers with respect, they gossip about workers and customers acting like highschool students. Even if you are doing your work and not causing any trouble, management may still have issues with you that they will not properly handle. If you work on the sales floor they will cut your hours just below full-time so you don't receive any benefits. Save yourself the trouble and the stress and don't waste your time here. This was my experience and my advice atleast.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Unprofessional management, unrealistic expectations
You become part of the Village family
Cashier, Production. (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC17 January 2019
Value Village does valuable work within the local community and the world community. They have an excellent benefits package for full time staff that is difficult to find in any sort of entry-level job like this. Managers and supervisors care about their staff, and though there is not high turnover for these positions, a promotion or raise is a relatively attainable goal for any hard-working employee to obtain. My old supervisors still greet me by name and it often feels like I'm just leisurely shopping and chatting after clocking out despite not having worked for Value Village in years.
I would rather did ditches
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC16 January 2019
I worked for Value Village Courtenay for 3 years. 2 years as as a production supervisor. They pay so little most employees cannot afford a car and share rides or walk to work. As a supervisor and a single parent I was paid $15 an hour which barely paid the bills, raises were about 25 cents an hour annually. Thankfully I was able to get a hamper at Christmas.

I worked hard, and was verbally recognised for my ability to meet targets and manage labour. I was not considered for promotion because my single parent lifestyle had me using more sick time than most as any time I needed for my child, or appointments was taken out of sick pay.

I was eventually fired for going over my sick time while I had the flu. I was even told by the district manager at one point to deliberately make friends with stay at home mom's so they could watch my kid for free as some sort of legitimate solution to my "unexcused absences,"

This company cares about profits only. The same year I had a hamper at Christmas my store made almost a million dollars in profits. We were given paper $25 gift certificates as "bonuses" that were listed on our paycheques as pay and we paid tax on them. If you didn't use the whole thing you did not get change back, and they expired in March.
Pros
50% discount on clothing
Cons
Hostile culture, no work life balance
Halloween parties
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 January 2019
I enjoyed the work at Value Village. I really enjoyed meeting the different people who shopped at Value Village. I learned so much from the staff and customers who shopped there.
Pros
During Halloween once a week we got a free lunch
Cons
Long hours, scheduling, management, pay was not that good
Horrible Company to work for
Production Worker/ Supervisor (in training) (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE8 January 2019
This company is all about the money and has little to know consideration for it's employees. When you reach your quotas they will double them the next day. It is very dirty and dusty with no ventilation. Safety issues aren't taken seriously unless it is the 'higher ups' who suggest them. Quantity over quality is definitely the goal of this company. A lot of stress with little to no pay off. Employees are disposable! Don't work for this company if you have children as they will expect you to chose them over you children or risk termination.
Pros
Decent benefits, great co workers
Cons
Management doesn't care about workers, low pay, terrible working conditions
Decent place for a Part Timer
CDC Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 January 2019
*Can learn a lot about customer service
*Poor management
*Abysmal amenities
*Unnecessarily complicated workplace culture
*A good experience in learning about adverse work environments
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
Most people at Value Village team are happy, helpful and friendly. Love working here. In busy days, the store can get messy very quick and its up to us to take care of it. Everyone helps each other and that's the most important.
Pros
Friendly supervisors and managers
Cons
Security issues (theft)
lots of expectations for min wage
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 November 2018
very dirty and not enough room for workers to move safely. If you look at the production room it looks like slaves are working in the 16th century. They want you to speed up to the death.
Managers are very lazy and they think they are from a different world than us. They are not there for you and just asking to speed up.
Do not work in there unless you have to.
Hard work if there are only 4 employees for the day
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 November 2018
A typical day at work would consist of the store being extremely busy and we would never have enough employers to keep the store clean at all times. Instead everyone is that the cash register while 2 people have to sort through the clothes at the fitting rooms and the other has to clean the whole store by themselves. Apart from 2 managers the management was great. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see all the seniors shopping.
Pros
30% off of your purchases
Cons
Unpaid lunch and sometimes annoying customers from the Dartmouth general
Fun but it's very hard!
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS3 November 2018
I loved the people I worked with, they were like family and I made a lifelong best friend out of it, but the job wasn't worth what I was making and the management didn't know what they were doing for the first year the store opened in town
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
The gross work we did

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Value Village Thrift Store. Our community is ready to answer.