Vale

Vale Employee Reviews

I loved working there, great people very safety orientated with decent benefits and pension the only thing I didn't care for was the bonus structure wasn't high enough for being underground.
I Received A call From Vale Seeking My interest In A Senior Safety Advisor For Construction Position Offered At Their Long Hr. Nickel Processing Plant Therefore I Can Only Speak To My Interactions With The Construction/Process Operations Folks And Others As A Construction Safety Advisor And My Personal Job Satisfaction. I Came To The Position With Many Years Of Mining , Electrical/Mechanical Tradesman Experience , Mine Safety AND Training Experience. This Background Benefited Me Greatly And i Found Transition Into This Role And Project Fairly Easy. I Found The Project Working Atmosphere Hectic At Times As With Any New Plus Ongoing Project. Overall Satisfaction With Great Co-Operation From The Many Construction Unions And Their Workers ( Especially When These Folks Knew You 'Worked On The Tools' ). I Had Good Interactions As Well With Vale's Management Folks, Those In Operations And Construction.. In My Twice A Day Joint Site Walk-A-Bout With Contractor Safety Advisors And My Solo Excursions, We Worked Together To Address Safety Concerns And Issues. Our Joint Belief Was That All The Women And Men On-Site Deserved To Go Out To Home Safe And Sound At The End Of Their Working Day, The Same Way They Came In. Overall, Overall, The Feeling I Had At Vale LH Was The Same As At Any Job Site I Worked On In Over 40 Plus Years. First, Park Your Preconceived Ideas And Beliefs At The Gate Until You Know Your Way Around ( New To You Job In New Industry : Do Your Job To The Best Of Your Abilities, Think Before You Speak And You'll Learn More, Look What Others Are Doing Right And Learn.Take - more...
Pros
Good Place To Work And Learn
Cons
Hectic At Times Because, As In All Major Constrction Sites, People And Roles Change
Supervisors expect far tooo much with no recognition. No advancement to full time, permanent and basically work as a throw away employee. No benefits , weekly schedule. (Protection Services)
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Weekly schedule
Almost everyone are Always smiling and laughing. I was expecting everyone to be grumpy because it's the mining industry. I've heard many stories of employees not liking their jobs and being difficult to work with.But that isn't the case here! I wish I was hired as a full-time employee but I'm only there on contract for another. 3-5 days.
Pros
Relaced environment, pleasant atmosphere, happy employees.
Cons
Volatile positions. Many contract positions means no guarantee of work.
They lay a pile of people off at the same time as hiring more to layoff in the next set of layoffs. My partner and I were Hourly and Staff, both laid off within 5 years. No chance to retire
Pros
Pay
Cons
No job security
Excellent place to work. Company is very safety oriented. Will take all work experiences and knowledge gained into all future experiences! Would recommend to anyone!
Worthy work in this company. Lot opportunity to learn and developing skills. The hardest part was deal with the constant change of direction and budget.
The job was very physically demanding and dangerous. The pay was excellent, over-time was unlimited and work hours were shift work. I developed a lot of strong bonds with some of my co-workers there. Supervisors weren't the greatest however all of them were former process operators like us so it was nice to have that level of insight from someone who actually knows how the job works. Management saw us as cattle that is to be controlled rather than appreciated. We were paid fairly and treated well over all.
Pros
Pay, benefits, advancement, communication
Cons
Dangerous, management, home and job-life balance
Management are a bunch of puppets, run by a foreign organization from Brazil. Foreman are told to harp on workers steady and keep employees fighting amongst themselves
Pros
Home every day/night
Cons
Always looking over your shoulder to make sure someone isn’t trying to get you fired.
At first I really enjoyed the company but they are all about production & not the people. A lot of favouritism. Shift schedule was difficult especially short shift on the 6 days shift. A lot of issues on the technician level were swept under the rug
Now Brazilian owned, there have been plenty structural changes since 2008. Middle management can be harsh, social politics will reign supreme over the reality of your abilities and contribution to the team.
Awesome program with a variety of projects to implement semi-autonomous technology with supporting LTE wireless network and local hosting environments in a pure Agile environment.
The hardest worker is usually tasked with the heaviest workload and often times compensated poorly. The bonus structure allows all to benefit while a few pull their own weight. The senior leadership is more effective than the lower level managers who, more often than not, don't take ownership for their failures or provide coaching past mandated once a year reviews. There is alot of opportunity to learn, however, you must be a self starter. There is no career plan or progression presented so if you choose to be safe - it is unlikely you will maximize the learning opportunity. This organization is not a global company but extremely silo-ed with individual agendas often competing with the company goals.
Pros
Lots of learning (must be self starter)
Cons
No career plan or coaching; rewards don't match the accomplishments.
I worked for Vale (formerly INCO) in Thompson Manitoba for 35 years. Most of the experience was very good. Good opportunities for advancement, good salary and benefits.
Pros
Salary and benifits
Cons
Some shift work schedules are long days but lots of days off follow the shift work.
Vale lied about the role of the position of Processing Plant Technician in Long Harbour, NL. They lied in their job ad, the interview process, the job offer, and even during onboarding about what the role of the Processing Plant Technician would be. It was supposed to be an operating position with NO physical labour and equipment being automated. This was a FLAT OUT LIE!!! Out of the 36 people that worked in my area of the plant, 27 of us had sustained injuries including torn muscles, frequent nose bleeds, carpal tunnel syndrome, and the list goes on. As soon as a worker was medically cleared to go back to work Vale would have them doing the exact same tasks that caused their injuries. I DO NOT recommend working for this company. They have no regard for their workers whatsoever.
A very good place to work. Nice people around. Vale followed nice work culture. vale pays well. Different Variety and good benefit packages. I had a very good experience during my work.
I very much enjoyed my career while I was with INCO/Vale. I gained plenty of experience in various departments and would work for them again in a heart beat.
I travelled a lot and would easily work 50 to 60 hours a week, which wouldn’t have been an issue had My direct supervisor been able to do his job or at the very least credit me for his work I completed. I was thrown under the bus on more than one occasion. Work life balance was nonexistent as my department was severely understaffed. It was impossible to stay on top of tasks. Since I’ve left they hired 3 more people. I did see a lot of great managers I just wasn’t fortunate to have been in those departments
Check in on time. Dress in proper PPE. And have meeting prior to work. Safety is a big issue. Learning constantly the product terminology and process at different levels Management worked with co workers to solve problems Culture is industrial. Helpful but raw and unrefined often. Extreme temperatures and contaminated environment was hardest part of the job Most enjoyable was working as a team and learning and aiming for goals together. Family like.
Excelling in your job is not rewarded at Vale and there is no pressure to perform. Those who work hard get the same as those who don’t so moral is very poor in many areas of the Long Harbour Processing Plant. Also the safety culture seems to be talked about but not practiced here. If you have issues with health and safety be advised to keep them to yourself. You will not last long here.
Continuous operations Learning something new everyday Management is average A negative workplace culture at times but mostly an enjoyable place to work.
  1. Employee reviews