VP Protection Inc.

VP Protection Inc. Employee Reviews

Featured review
VP Protection Inc. selected this as a representative review
Rewarding, collaborative, fast paced work environment
Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2019
As I worked out of the office, my day to day looked a lot different than a day in the life of a security guard. However it was very rewarding hiring and giving these security guards a fresh start at a new career, or to grow within there current industry!

The management, and owner have built this company up from the ground, and it shows. The passion, and respect for the industry carries through from upper management to all of the security guards at all levels.

VP Protection is a well astound security company in Toronto, that has massive plans for expansion within the coming year. As I worked closely with the hiring of the security guards, and person interested in the security industry would be lucky to work for a company like VP given the history in the industry, and reputation they withhold with the high end clients.
Good work place
Mobile Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2020
Great work environment and competitive wages with benefits. Would recommend working here. Management is nice and understanding. A person can getenough time to tend to personal life as well.
What could have been great
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2019
When i first started at this company i was hungry to work..to learn to help make this company shine. However...the lack of appreciation for the effort I put in wore me down and led to my exit.
Nice company.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  North York, ON29 November 2019
It's a small and nice company to work with. Had a lot of work and hire everyone. Pay rate is minimum but some of site have more pay rate. It's a good company if you want to start your security career.
good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2019
learn lot about security and is a team building company take care of there workers and lots of hands on teaching. learn to patrol talk to customer and petrol sit
Moderate
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2019
The working hours are unpredictable. Employees may not get sufficient hours per week.

There is hardly any chance of specialization or career development for floaters.
Company people cannot understand employees situation.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2019
If you are late to your work even 1 minute, then these guys are going to call you for following two days.
Not corporative.
Also if you do the sign in even one meter away from site then the same will going to keep calling for two days..
Escalate the problem.
preductive and a great learning experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2019
Being a security guard in VP protection helped me understand policing and concierge duties a lot better by exposing me to the different people and events
i do not like this company
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2018
I do not like this company at all because the management is very rude and they do not know how to handle the employees. I just like the site that they provide me.Pay system is also not very good. They do not give overtime to the employees.
Pros
the site
Cons
rude management
Good company to work for parttime
Concierge/Security Guard (Current Employee) –  North York, ON4 October 2018
They give shifts whenever we ask them. They also increase our wage every year, included with benefit packages, insurance coverages, premiums, holiday pays and more. They care for employees. They donot accept if anyone harass/ harm the employees. They take severe actions against illegal activities.
Can't work for this company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  North York, ON30 May 2018
Working for this company is bad. They don't recognized their employees as human beings. I find that this company has potential but with the constant yelling from management should be gone asap.
Good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
great place to work with good people. long hours when wanted, always a shift available. would come into work do my scans and patrols look on cameras to see if anything is going wrong in the mall.
clients ok company does not tell you the truth
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 April 2017
sure you get hired and told what you make then after probation your told a different story. Mickey Mouse Club. Not to sure if this is a great job.....
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours and lied to
Good Sites, Horrible Managment
Security Guard-Mall Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2016
VP Protection was a good company at the time for me. As I want to go into a career of law enforcement, they offered me a guaranteed spot in a mall, which is what I was looking for at the time. He is a pro con list of the company:

Pro's:
-Office location was convenient, at least for me, pretty much where every other security office in Toronto is.
- The only good sites with the company are malls. They pretty much have an agreement with RioCan management to work all their sites. They are nice malls for the most part, with nice on site management, at least at my location.
-One of the few companies who isnt afraid of their guards looking "too tactical"
-I have seen worse pay rates in the industry
-Always work available
-Good measures to keep guards safe, including informing dispatch via radio, of anything you are doing and scan patrols
-Uniform isnt terrible looking
-We got to drive a gas powered gold cart which was fun, but ridiculous looking, people did not take us seriously. I am still putting this in the Pro's column as it was very fun to drive.

Cons:
-Like most companies, they require bulletproof vests, but make you pay for it. When you are making only $13 per hour and are forced to have money deducted for a $600 bulletproof vest, it isnt easy.

-$13 and hour, for active sites, in my opinion, is not enough. When you are getting that much money to make arrests, deal with homeless regularly and get yelled at by customers, it isnt easy. This company is also very stringent on raises.

-"Babysat" by mobile. They often have mobile units "sneak up" on you, to
  more... perform surprise inspections of your uniform and notebook. I would understand if they did this only in the probationary period, but I am an adult and I felt like I was being babysat.

-Scan patrols. If you work in the industry, you know about these, every half an hour, or hour, you must scan bar codes around the site (usually 20-50) within a certain amount of time, or you will get an angry call from dispatch. I hate these things.

-Management with VP protection, dosent really care about you. When I was there, it was a family business and we all know how those work out. You will learn how much they dislike you, when you get on their bad side.

-Riocan offsite management was very rude and guards were actually scared, whenever they arrived on site

Summary:
Here is my story with VP protection. In my opinion, I was the hardest working guard at the time, the supervisors right hand and on site mall management loved me. In the 10 months I was there, I got a .25 cent raise. Due to the fact that I still believed the work to pay ratio wasnt fair, I gave them a ultimatum, raise, or I will be gone. They decided they would rather fire me and on my tax information it said I quit, which I found kind of funny. They will hire anyone who applies.
Great Work Experience
Concierge/Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2016
The company is great. If you do a great job they will compensate you for it. I started as a regular guard and worked my way up to site supervisor. I made a living and I paid my bills. Hardest part about the job is handling Property Management. The best part was meeting the other workers in the building.
disorganized company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2014
Learned to provide excellant access control. monitored cctv cameras provided excellant surveillance skills co- workers were pleasant. The hardest part of my job was deal with the lack of iniative from the company to deal with issues on the site
Pros
great co-workers pleasant working environment
Cons
long hours, company would often make mistakes with scheduling and not addressing site concerns