Urban Retreat

Urban Retreat Employee Reviews

Busy supportive work environment

Good place to work, some flexibility with scheduling. Fair pay. Busy clinic, easy to develop a full caseload quickly. Management is approachable and reasonable.

horrible management. No training whatsoever. If you dont fit in, you never will.

lies, horrible management, toxic.they dismiss employs all the time, and people quit all the time. If you dont fit in to there personality you will not last, it doesnt matter if you work hard or not.

Discounts

It was a paycheck. There were some incentives and abilities to make small commissions. There were abilities to get discounts on products and services

Pros

Discounts and small commissions

Cons

Gossip, political, favoritism

Great environment

Overall it was a great experience both with staff and customers even so that sometimes if I am near the store I would just pop in to say hello. I feel anybody is lucky to work there.

productive and fun work atmosphere

Great company run by great people who take the time to teach and listen to its staff members. Learn a wide range of skills from how to mix cocktails to bistro services and coffee.

Closed

they closed and gave their employees all of 24 hrs to make us aware we were going to lose our job when she knew for a few months it was going to happen.

yikes

The original owner cared about the spa, but after Urban Retreat was sold, it went down hill. The new owner tried to make it successful but she eventually went bankrupt.

Pros

service providers are great to work with

Cons

no benefits

Productive and fast-paced professional and fun work environment

The best time of the job was the interaction with our guests, clients, colleagues, and service providers. Overseeing staff to ensure success by continuously training our team. Assisting with Promotions and Sales by participating in activities to increase memberships. Building rapport with guests while executing negotiations and membership renewals.

Pros

Treatment discounts

Cons

Learning to balance business-life with personal-life

Great place

By recognizing trends and getting on board ahead of others in the industry URDS has accelerated past most others'. Seeing your ideas turn into results is highly rewarding.

Horrible place to work

I worked at urban retreat during 2013-2015 at their head office. The team was ok except one particular person but the rest of the company was deplorable. Management was rude b*****ie and disrespectful . They make you work long hrs and weekends especially when your the newby and you have those who kiss up to management and gossip about other colleagues when they have nothing else to do with there lives. Overall it's one of the worst companies I've worked for. I would go there for a treatment but I would never work for them ever again.

Pros

The odd free treatment

Cons

Long hours, every weekend, rude managers, rubbish money the list goes on......

Poor management help and support. Stressful environment.

I felt I had no support from management while doing my job. We received very little training as neither of the managers are estheticians themselves. We were trained more on selling product than on giving good services. The rooms were equipped with cheap and most of the time, broken tools for facials. Some of the magnifying mirrors were held up with tape. I was glad to be done working all sorts of on call hours with little to show for it pay wise.

Salon support

Shampooing clients hair Blowdries Assisting senior stylists Clean up of salon The company is great to work for, if your passionate about working in hair this is the place to be.

Pros

Harrods discount

Relaxing

Urban Retreat was where I gained my first experience working in a spa. The staff was wonderful and incredibly skilled. They were a tight nit community. I enjoyed my time there very much. Both our manager and assistant manager were hands on. They knew exactly what they were doing. It was a great experience .

Great clientele but poorly managed.

Environment was great due to staff and clients. Management was poor at communicating and never accessible. Products needed were never purchased and employees had to make due with what was available.

Clean and pleasant place to serve customers

A typical day consisted of answering phones and booking appointments for massages. I also washed towels to ensure paying customers would have clean towels to use during and after their appointments. Management was loose but very organized, and my co-workers were eager to help anyone, including me, with tasks like confirming calls and credit/debit transactions. The hardest part of the job was balancing phone calls and timing them correctly so I didn't keep anyone waiting too long. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was dealing with customers face-to-face.

Pros

Low-impact, relaxing

Cons

Got frantic during certain hours and dates

Fun people and poor management.

This place had such potential. Its sad that it went under after operating for over 26 years. It would have also been nice to know that I needed to look for a new job. They told us on Friday that Urban Retreat would be closing its doors after Saturday's appointments were serviced. Overall the time that I did have there was memorable and enjoyable.

Pros

Fun environment. Beautiful spa.

Cons

Poor Management.

Fun & productive workplace

At Urban Retreat I built up a substantial clientele, acquired many new skills and have had amazing opportunities. I headed up their Ghd styling department which involved : Ghd styling school and all aspects of retail I also taught the famous Harrods Blow-dry classes . I have also been principle stylist for many fashion shoots for Harrods and their website, At Urban Retreat we also offered a home service for Brides and I was given the opportunity to do this on many occasions .I Also took part in London Fashion week as principle stylist for Fashionista Pit Stop. Once a week I would also run Harrods children’s salon.

My review on Urban Retreat

Urban Retreat is a good company to work for. I enjoy my coworkers and the fact that you never know what your day will consist of.

Fun work place

My day will start with answering phone calls and deal with customer service queries. I will book clients in for the appointments and call some clients to confirm their bookings. I then go through any column work and return emails from clients. I have learnt alot from management on how to deal with customer complaints. I work as part of a team and also get along with all my team members. The hardest part of my job is to rescedule or fit a difficult client in and you just dont have the time or space. I enjoy my job as I always put a smile on a clients face when I have booked them in it important for me to know that they had a great day and time at the salon.

Cons

Long travel to work

Nice place to work when you need more freedom for hours

It was a good place to work and the benefit was making your own hours

Good Experience

Helps you understand the spa industry and why I know I would never want one.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Retreat. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement