Urban Planet Employee Reviews

Fun and friendly workplace with helpful co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON3 September 2019
A typical day at work consisted of keeping the clothes organized all around the store. I would never NOT be refolding, replacing, and putting things where they belong. I was always on my feet at a fast pace. Alongside this, I would greet customers, ask them if they need any help, and deal with any concerns they may have. Doing this as a job taught me how to stay organized, how to be patient with others, and also taught me the importance of customer service and staying on task.

The overall vibe of Urban Planet was very lively. The store was constantly blasting dance music that kept me going and on my feet. The workers were always very friendly and cheerful, and that helped me radiate the same attitude to customers.

The hardest part of my job was probably trying to find where specific clothing items were kept in the store. If a clothing item was out of place, it would always be either super easy to find and I could put it back right away, or it would be more on the difficult side and I would take longer to find where it belongs. Since Urban Planet sells so many products, and sometimes even so many styles of the SAME product (I think they have around 30-40 different styles of jeans) it got a bit tricky at times to find. Majority of the time, however, I was able to do this with ease.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my job as a whole. I never not wanted to work, surprisingly. I always wanted to be busy and let the time fly on its own. Luckily, I was able to do so at Urban Planet. I was always helping something or someone, and that to me was very enjoyable in itself.
  more... To anyone interested in working for retail, just know that you cannot get distracted and you must keep up with the pace. This also means to NEVER BE IDLE AND STAND THERE unless you're in charge of greeting customers at the storefront or something. Other than that, in a place where many, many products are sold, there is always something that needs cleaning, replacing, etc. and there is always someone who needs help.  less
An amazing work place with great hard working people.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2019
Loved every second and moment while working there, with a great team and understanding people and management staff as well, and flexible work hours.
-Wouldn't change it for the world sadly had to move.
Fun & exciting, very engaging work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairview, ON11 August 2019
Although the hours were a little hard balance work/life, it was always a good time and I never wokeup dreading to go to work! Super fun team and easy tasks made work very enjoyable if Inwere doing cashier or sales/stock that day!
Pros
Super positive space
Cons
Never a dull moment
Productive and fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON8 August 2019
Urban Planet was a great opportunity to learn new responsibilities and positions. The workplace culture maintains a positive work environment and the people there are very friendly to newcomers within the workforce.
Productive and fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CF fairview Mall30 July 2019
Working in a crowded area is always fun and easy to communicate with people and solve their problem right away when needed. Team management at this job is a must in such a huge place like this retail job.
Fun people to try talk to and hang out but mangers is not nice
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 July 2019
I would go in to work in a good mood and severing customers cashiers and mangers said mean stuff and make me cry alone the other employees there are nice
Cons
Filled with energy and good vibes.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ON11 July 2019
Management & employees are super nice, great attitudes towards the job and I feel very comfortable here. It is a fast paced environment but it is easy.
Pros
20% employee discount on top of discounts already
Very busy and unorganized
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2019
Urban planet is an OK place to work. Management gives out the schedule for each week the day before we could possibly be scheduled to work. This made it very hard to balance my personal life being that I wouldn’t know if I was work during week until the night prior. Management is pretty strict when it comes to working around their employees schedules. If we needed a day off, it’s like we are bothering the manager by asking for that day off. It gets very frustrating when this happens and makes the job a little harder. The work itself is pretty simple and easy. Also, the employees here only get 10 minute breaks for working 5 hours, I don’t know the exact laws about the break times but it seems a little short, we barely got any time to eat a bite of our food. If you can deal with arrogant employees (not all of them) and ill mannered customers, you’ll do great!
Pros
Never a boring environment to work in
Cons
10 minute breaks, arrogant managers
Great Place
Backroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 June 2019
The co workers and managers were really nice people and i enjoyed my time there quite a bit. Opening the new store was stressful but i learned a lot in the process.
Pros
people, atmosphere
Cons
lots of pressure initially
don't bother working here.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2019
if you're planning to work here, say bye to your social life. it's worse than school. you're here 85% of your day almost everyday of the week. the on-call scheduling is messy. the managers will call you in work even when you're not schduled (whether on-call or not scheduled at all, THEY WILL CALL YOU TO WORK). the managers don't know how to schdule their workers. you'll never be able to make time for your friends OR FAMILY because they will eventually call you in to work, sometimes even earlier than you were originally schduled. i understand from time to time managers need their employees to come in a little early, BUT almost everyday for almost every shift? i don't think so. they schdule their employees as if the employees don't have lives outside of work. they RARELY allow two weekends off in a row, and if they do allow it, they will get mad at you for it. moreover, they may seem nice and a "chill place to work" but sometimes they treat their employees with disrespect and and they joke around with them to the point where it seems rude and hurtful. overall, management is messy with schduling and how they do things around the store, and how they treat their employees. there are better places to work where you can get the same experience and skills but with better treatment and respect as an employee and a human being.

IF I COULD GIVE ZERO STARS I WOULD.
Pros
easily hired but probably because they're desperate.
Cons
the list of cons wouldn't override the system.
Productive and fun environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2019
During the time I was working there management was going through a rough patch. It was difficult because each leader would tell you something different so I personally wasn't sure what to do and what not to do. However once management got figured out it was a great company to work for. It was never a dull moment. The workers were great.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Customers were extremely disrespectful
Exciting environment with exciting people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 June 2019
Working for Urban planet was an eye opening experience, pertaining specifically to my abilities to multi task. I’m doing so, I’ve realized that this company was able to teach me new things with positive encouragement and an inviting tone.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Salary
Enjoyable atmosphere, Good first time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 June 2019
It's a good place to work if you are trying to get customer service experience, if the hours are available, management is really good about providing you with flexible schedules. Has a great diverse team. Easy to move up in the company, or be transferred to another department, or sister company. If you are interested in fashion, it's a good place to start.
It was fun
Memorial Dr. Unit #92 - Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2019
The manager at the time was awesome so sweet. Scheduling was alright and pay also alright. Awesome coworkers. Overall the work was good I would work there again if the old manger was there.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Paid sucked
Productive work enviorment with Many smiling faces.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC30 May 2019
Urban Planet is a good company for a first job, with many smiling faces and supportive staff this company really encourages its younger employees to have to confidence to go out and improve themselves and strive for success.
Pros
good enviorment for first job
Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK29 May 2019
- typical day at work is relaxing/calm on non-busy days, and very energetic on busy days which made the days go by fast.
- Learned to socialize with customers, maintain clean work environment.. etc.
- Management was great and flexible.
- Hardest part was nothing, it was a great job.
- Most enjoyable was interacting with customers, and being able to meet their needs/standards.
Sad place to be
Cashier/Sales Associate/Fitting Room (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 May 2019
I felt like I had to sell my soul and ditch all my morals to work under this company.
- Coworkers were often incredibly judgemental, very young (blond and white was the average employee).
- I was working 5+ hours with no break or 10 min break (they say this in the hand book, too, but a 15 minute break is LAW)
- Lower management was okay, but the higher up you go the ruder they get
- Pay minimum wage, job definitely wasn’t worth that little
- Get a ‘bag check’ when leaving the store, so you casually get accused of theft every shift
- Gave me an hour under fulltime status so I was basically fulltime without the benefits
- At my location they didn’t give us any ‘standing mats’
- Company Handbook had a lot of questionable/illegal ‘requirements’ in it, so they hire young people who don’t understand their rights
Overall I had a really negative experience, I would feel incredibly depressed leaving work, i was working two jobs because I needed the money and Urban Planet just wasn’t worth it.
Cons
Irresponsible company
Honestly nothing good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 May 2019
The management hated their jobs and they were all very negative all the time with showed on their team, the customers that come in are usually very mean to the employees so you have to be very strong to make it through even just them. And honestly it’s a great way to learn retail just not in this Victoria location.
Pros
Great way too learn
Cons
Management, location, pay, hours
No Future for your sacrifices
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Erin Mills, ON21 May 2019
After working over two years for this company, I wish I could say I had something positive to say about them. From the management to head office, they really know how to screw over their workers.

After constantly asking for a raise for my efforts that no one else would handle, I was refused because I do not hold the title of a manager, which is absurd and a flat out lie

Management will do anything in their power to make sure they strive while leaving their workers behind.
Pros
Fun workers
Cons
No future, rude managers, rude head office
ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON21 May 2019
Shifts always go by super slow because the store is always empty. Started off at this job working 40 plus hours a week to eventually getting 0 week and having to quit.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
not enough staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Planet. Our community is ready to answer.