Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 63 reviews matching the search See all 1,479 reviews
Fun people to work with, awful management, bad hours, can’t advance
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2019
I promise you, don’t work here lol
The discount off clothes is good but you don’t get hours, the management is unprofessional, mean and just awful, warned.
Fun experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 March 2019
Was able to learn a lot about processing sales, customer service, and administrative work. In charge of opening and closing procedures, as well as cash handling.
Worst Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 March 2019
Worst job I've had so far. Employees are not valued. Work environment horrible. Management is extremely bad. NO communication at all. Managers treat you like a number. They don't value employees when they want you to leave the company they stop talking to you. Some managers made employees cry. Seriously the vibe is bad, If you don't need to work there don't apply
Pros
Made amazing friends, Discount is amazing
Cons
No communication, management horrible
Fun Work Place, Poor Management
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2019
I wanted to rate this a 2.5 but i couldn't. The people you work with are fun and bubbly but the management is terrible. My first shift was on boxing day and i had no prior training or run down of how to do things. I was lost and didnt know what to do on ny first shift. Although the great employees that worked there took me under their wing and showed me the ways and made my first day better. A typical day is very boring and is a drag. Noone steps foot into the store. And i found myself messing up perfect piles of clothes just to keep myself occupied. Management would cut my hours at times because they didnt have "enough hours" which made sense because of the huge staff that Urban has. The staff is so large that you would be lucky if you got 1 single 8 hour shift. But that wouldnt be a issue if your a part time worker. Instead they would cut your 5hr shift into a 4hr shift. Overall i wouldnt recommend for a permanent position. And instead would recommend a seasonal or part time position.
Pros
- Fun coworkers - phat discount
Cons
- Boring workplace - not enough hours
Good - Bad
Display Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2019
Honestly a 5/10 ten, the pros and cons balanced out even-stevens. Not a one, nor a two, nor a three, nor a four, but a 5 out of ten - just to get to the word count.
Great
Gérant de magasin (temporaire) - Gerant Visuel (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC13 February 2019
The company is amazing to work for but the salary is mediocre compared to other places. The upper level management does to much micro management. Not a lot of job advancement.
Treated very poorly and rudely by management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 October 2018
A typical day at work would be maintaining the sales floor constantly, sweeping dust bunnies and greeting every customer. If in fitting rooms you would be in charge of counting items, placing customers in their fitting rooms, writing their names and checking fitting rooms for security tags and price tags. I didn't learn anything new at this job. The management is very shady and talked about employees behind their backs to the store manager (I overheard them speaking in the morning) and to other employees. The shift leads are very nonchalant and behave as though they are an elite clique and the sales associates are beneath them. The workplace culture made me very uncomfortable as I was being treated like a new hire with no retail experience. The hardest part of the job was being subjected to snarky comments by management and not being able to speak up due to an open-door policy and expected to do the impossible through contests that were easier for other associates (trying to get customer shout outs via a survey on the receipt and the cashier kept winning - the cashier has the opportunity to casually mention the survey). The only enjoyable part of the job was the employee discount. I was fired 40 minutes into my shift and the manager insulted me, shamed me and lied to me about why I was being terminated by stating "my priorities were not in line with the priorities of the company". I was also terminated in front of an shift lead hired a week ago. I felt like an example was being made of me. It was completely unfair.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Treatment by management
Good environment to work in
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 September 2018
All the co-workers and managers are very nice and friendly. The environment is great and I feel good working here. Very flexible with the schedules and shifts.
Great First Job
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2018
It was a great first job for me, and I was able to easily balance work and school. I was also able to work my way up in the store I was employed at, which was nice.
Exciting but unstable environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2018
As with all retailers, sales is a major factor. Management switches around, but at the time I worked there, employees were treated poorly and looked down upon. Scheduling was okay, they typically give you the number of shifts you want and days booked off in advance. The store's atmosphere really helps to elevate your mood, and you can meet incredible individuals there.
Great People
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
Always a wonderful staff even when the expectations or job were difficult or less than fun. Often told to work more time than was available, or work overtime without the mandated break, but I worked at a busy location and the work wasn't very hard.
Super fun and laid back
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 April 2018
Great place to work. Probably my favorite part-time job I've had. Every day is generally different from each other and management really cared about my life outside of work. Never had any cranky customers and it's a joy to come into work everyday.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Short hours
Great start to retail sales
SALES ASSOCIATE & FITTING ROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2018
Once again, an always moving and fast paced work environment with mass amounts of product forced the staff to be well versed in a variety of not only clothing related items but housewares and electronics.
Pros
Team Camaraderie
Fun workplace, if disorganized
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2018
Workplace culture was nice. Group reflections at open and close times to increase morale and sense of community. Disorganized scheduling that was at times unclear. I only worked as a seasonal sales associate for a short time, and can't really speak to job security or benefits.
Fun work place! Great people!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2018
A fun place to work, with great people. Super amazing staff, would love for everyone to experience such an amazing work experience. Amazing management as well.
Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 February 2018
my colleagues were really nice and friendly. It was a fun atmosphere to work in, and we always had stuff to do. However I didnt get my last paycheck so that sucked.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Irresponsible with paychecks
Excellente enteprise
Customer Connexion Specialist (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 February 2018
Urban Outfitters exploite une excellente culture d'entreprise. Celle-ci m'a permise de monter les échelons rapidement et de mettre à profit mes aptitudes tout en repoussant celles-ci. Cette entreprise m'a permise de grandir et de devenir le travailleur que je suis aujourd'hui.
Great place to work and very nice people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  WINNIEG23 January 2018
I liked working here. I just didn't fit in, most of the people there had worked together for a long time. Tends to get very busy, but nothing too hard.
Fun place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 January 2018
There is a wonderful atmosphere of work, managers have fun with their employees! You still have to remain focus during your working hours and stay alert for any customer needs.
Great Co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
management was unfortunately condescending.
hours are based on favourites in store
no training, resulting in confusion when thrown on the floor and not having complete knowledge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.