Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Super fun and laid back
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 April 2018
Great place to work. Probably my favorite part-time job I've had. Every day is generally different from each other and management really cared about my life outside of work. Never had any cranky customers and it's a joy to come into work everyday.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Short hours
Great start to retail sales
SALES ASSOCIATE & FITTING ROOM ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2018
Once again, an always moving and fast paced work environment with mass amounts of product forced the staff to be well versed in a variety of not only clothing related items but housewares and electronics.
Pros
Team Camaraderie
Cons
Fun work place! Great people!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2018
A fun place to work, with great people. Super amazing staff, would love for everyone to experience such an amazing work experience. Amazing management as well.
Salesperson
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 February 2018
my colleagues were really nice and friendly. It was a fun atmosphere to work in, and we always had stuff to do. However I didnt get my last paycheck so that sucked.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
Irresponsible with paychecks
Excellente enteprise
Customer Connexion Specialist (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 February 2018
Urban Outfitters exploite une excellente culture d'entreprise. Celle-ci m'a permise de monter les échelons rapidement et de mettre à profit mes aptitudes tout en repoussant celles-ci. Cette entreprise m'a permise de grandir et de devenir le travailleur que je suis aujourd'hui.
Great place to work and very nice people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  WINNIEG23 January 2018
I liked working here. I just didn't fit in, most of the people there had worked together for a long time. Tends to get very busy, but nothing too hard.
Fun place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 January 2018
There is a wonderful atmosphere of work, managers have fun with their employees! You still have to remain focus during your working hours and stay alert for any customer needs.
Great Co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
management was unfortunately condescending.
hours are based on favourites in store
no training, resulting in confusion when thrown on the floor and not having complete knowledge.
urban
Store Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2017
Urban is a great place to work for. They are innovative and creative, which was great. The management however needs work and they need to tweak the regimen when it comes to that role. Higher ups also need sensitivity training.
Pros
great discounts and you meet cool people
Cons
management needs work
Just Another Retail Job
Operations and Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2017
It was ok. Just another job that pays the bills. They expect alot with not alot of wage to back it up. Job security is not the best. The entire Merchandising team from head office all the way down to store level was let go this year.
Nice environment
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2017
Working at Urban Outfitters was the first retail job i had. It opened my eyes to the retail industry and my future within it. Your work environment is always changing but it is how you influence it that matters.
Pros
lots of breaks
Inclusive and encouraging workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 September 2017
Overall, management and employees were super helpful in the training process as well as answering further questions I had down the line. Hours were cut quite often but overall motivational workplace.
Alright
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2017
I don't have many things to say about UO. The management at my location is bias.They pick favourites, and then let the others have the lesser jobs. Not very organized.
Pros
Co-workers are amazing
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun environment, great product
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 May 2017
I was a department manager for Urban Outfitters for 3 years and this was my second role as management in retail.
I learned a lot about merchandising and how to motivate and encourage staff for excellence.
The hours were very long and demanding but this helped me in my future roles in management.
Pros
Great product, fun
Cons
Very long hoyrs
Creative Retail Brand
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
Fun working environment with great people and great product. A very creative retailer that's constantly changing it's merchandising and displays. Up beat and fast paced work environment with great discount and room to advance.
Pros
Great people to work with
Great atmosphere & experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 April 2017
This was my first job and it gave me experience interacting with customers in a usually fast-paced environment. The atmosphere of the store as well as coworkers were great. The downside was that because we were so many employees at our location, it was difficult to get hours.
Had a fun experience there overall
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 March 2017
Salary and hours are the biggest problems at urban outfitters. But from what I have seen in the world of retail, it is indeed one of the most interesting, creative place to work.
Difficult, but not the worst retail job in the world
'Specialist' (Glorified Sales Associate) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
The vibe and the people were great and we did some awesome events and they always had stuff going on for employees to submit to, but then we got a new store manager who immediately culled the people who didn't fit his standard and had worked there for literal years and rehired multiple new employees. I worked really hard for this store because I liked it and it was a steady job with what seemed like opportunities, but still got fired ('let go') with no warning or chances to improve. Others did as well, so hopefully this doesn't come across as a salty employee trying to get back.

The job itself was fun, with a bit of pressure to sell and get people to sign up for the rewards program, but nothing unreasonable. The people you work with really feel like your friends and it's fun to go to work. The associate's job is mostly cleaning and keeping an eye out for shoplifters, but back stock is really great if you can handle it. It can be a bit stressful with all the shipments coming in at once and nowhere to put it all. I mostly did restock and organizing the front end, which is fast paced and kind of boring sometimes, but not complicated.

If you're looking at this specific location be very careful of management. There's a lot more drama going on than it seems and a lot of factors against you if you're outside their inner circle. I want to say that it's a great job if you do your work and keep your head down, but that didn't even work for a lot of the people who got let go including me. The Christmas season barely met any goals at all too, and by the time I left things
  more... were still going poorly, so I don't know what will have changed or been done since.

I really miss what it was like before and I hope things change for the people that are still there.
Pros
Fun events, great employee culture, decent discounts
Cons
Managers
Pays well but I hated going in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2017
The management at Anthropologie was so weak, the girls were so rude to a first-time sales associate, decided to not train me and gave me so many tasks on my first day of work. On school nights I had to stay until 1am sometimes because they'd cut 2 or 3 of the girls for that shift and 3 of us would have to close the entire store on our own.

The perks of being in the company were good, there were so many good discounts and benefits from working here to be honest. But it wasn't an enjoyable place to work.
Benefits
Cons
management
Productive, fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 February 2017
Urban Outfitters is a great environment, and amazing people to work with. I am currently taking Fashion Merchandising at Fanshawe college and I am gaining so much experience here.

I have work at Urban Outfitter almost 9 months now and it's gone by so quickly. The management team is very knowledgeable in what they are doing and help me learn in a positive way.

I would not have choose anywhere else as my first retail job. They have become family to me. I love all that Urban stands for. Diversity, customer value, employee value and just genuinely having fun and working towards success while doing it.

I would encourage anyone to work at Urban Outfitters , London
STR 177

-R

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.