Urban Barn Ltd. Employee Reviews

Really enjoyable and fun work place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 August 2018
I worked here part time while going to school. I really loved my time there great people and products. Management really invested in the people they hired.

I had a very stable schedule because of school but I know other employees complained about theirs schedule always changing. Compared to other retail stores I have worked at they weren’t that bad for scheduling at all. I found asking for certain days off was very easy.

I would highly recommend working here. I loved my time there!!
Garbage
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2018
Horrible company to work for. I’ve never had to work so hard at a job for so little. Pay and benefits are the lowest in the industry. Terrible communication between head office, warehouses, and stores. Very little room for advancement. They would rather hire new managers with no experience to run their stores than promote associates with plenty of management experience internally.

The products themselves are very nice, but you will have to deal with so many complaints yourself with absolutely no support from Head Office. Customer service is at the bottom of the priority list for Urban Barn. You will deal with phone calls from customers complaining about not being able to reach our customer care department, emails they’ve sent that have gone unanswered, and products that came damaged that the company refuses to fix or replace.

Their inventory system has got to be the worst I’ve ever seen. You will order products for customers that you will see has plenty of inventory, only to check again the next day to see that there was actually nothing and won’t be in stock for 3-6 months. Completely frustrating and 9 times out of 10 you will lose the sale. This happened very frequently.

My advice is to stay clear of this company.
wasnt that great
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 July 2018
was hard to make commission. the other workers weren't that great to work with. they would steal eachother sales and there was lots of drama and employee conflict.
Great Work Environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON31 May 2018
Urban Barn is a wonderful place to work. The employees are always welcoming and friendly to their co-workers and the customers. This job has brought me to develop more customer service experience as I work with them all day. The most enjoyable and satisfying part of the job is that we act as a team and all get along very well.
Pros
The working environment/culture
Cons
Need full-time hours
Job Review for Urban Barn
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 May 2018
A typical day consists of a morning meeting about what has to get done. Followed by four hours of work and then lunch followed by another four hours of work. If there is overtime management usually gives the workers a fifteen minute break at the seven hour mark.
I've learnt (without proper training and mostly through observation) how to help customers that pick-up, how to assemble furniture, and how to check a received container.
Management has been shadowy to a degree with new employees. I have noticed on many occasions that when I do ask a question I get ignored and when I persist they tell me something they want done. This to me is confusing so I drop everything and adhere to their command which after a couple of minutes doesn't help because they either tell me to do something else or get on my back on why the initial task wasn't done. When I remind them of their response they either walk-off or tell me to do it NOW (and then walk off).
The hardest part of the job is the unpredictability of the supervisor (it would be nice if he looked at people for a change) and the fact that due to the boss most of the 'veteran' employees like to act akin to this Supervisor.
I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of this job is learning new tasks to take with me (if I choose to go) to another employer and the paycheck.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
They don't train, Shadowy, Eye contact at a minimal.
Not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2018
I found the training programme inadequate and trainer inexperienced. There is a lot of gossiping and negative reporting welcomed by managers on new employers. The management does not act as leader or mentor but rather as intolerant bosses who dwell on negativity and taking out frustration on minor issues.In short they do not stand to their claims and follow their own values or culture.
Pros
Customers that come to store
Cons
No sales training or hired trainers, Micromanagement and negative environment, Anyone would jump into your conversation with your client
Very negative work environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 April 2018
A team made up of nasty 'mean girls' turned what seemed to be a great opportunity into a miserable experience. Having previously worked in roles where commission was involved, I didn't feel that it would be something I would need to worry about. Both the store manager & assistant manager were extremely driven to meet their monthly quotas - which is completely understandable - but even while we were exceeding sales goals for many consecutive months, the disingenuously friendly crew were pushed to hound shoppers for sales to the point of irritating them. As long as members were making sales, bad attitudes and unprofessional remarks were ignored and encouraged. Everyone talked about eachother behind their backs and it was exhausting. Regional manager was no better and often made people feel uncomfortable when he was at the store. Overall, a very disappointing experience and a relief to be done with the company.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Unnecessarily stressful work environment
Urban Barn has been a nourishing enviroment for me to grow.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2018
Starting in a new country can be very difficult and I can honestly say starting with Urban Barn made it feel so much more like home.
Staff are like your surrogate family waiting to welcome you into the fold. The product is such high quality it is easy to promote and from my experience, if you are willing, you can really go far.
Management was so efficient and understanding in my training and have put all their support into my success time and time again.
I honestly cannot say enough good things about this company.
Pros
Supportive environment, friendly colleagues, great product
Cons
Reatil hours if you're not used to it
Creative and fun environment
Design Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 April 2018
There was always lots to learn and new avenues to explore daily. It was not just about selling, but rather building workplace bonds and customer loyalty.
Pros
Never the same everyday
Cons
head office and store management transparency
Prepare to starve!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC29 March 2018
You cannot make a decent living selling pillows and vases. This job is great for students who live at home or bored housewives. Be prepared to work until 11pm to do floor flips. No paid breaks. Only 30min breaks. No coffee breaks in 8hrs. Be prepared to constantly clean. Save yourself the trouble.
Avoid at all cost
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Quebec11 February 2018
I worked there for a year and a half, the money I made was good when other salesman weren't stealing my commissions. The company does not care about its employees, it has incredible high numbers to reach, and even when you reach them you are asked to almost double your numbers. In a year and a half, we had 4 different managers, and 2 different assistant manager. Managers would have trouble staying more than 3 months due to the low pay for them and the amount of work and time asked.
This is not just a job, its worse. You need to remember every product, every product warranty, every product care instructions. You often fight with your colleagues about sales, and the manager always has a favorite, so you often loose your sales. You NEED to keep a book with every client you ever met and detail everything you said or done with them, if you want to actually keep your sales. And when you are organised and sell well, your colleagues will dislike you and be even more sneaky, or try to start rumors like you are stealing people sales... It is a very toxic environment.
The company does not adapt to the clients, it has a set of mind and sticks to it, so get ready to loose a lot of sales there too.
Even if I was full time student, I was sometimes asked to come in days I was not even available. Every 2 to 3 week there was a problem with my schedule. They are really not flexible with it.
Remember you are asked to reach very high numbers? You also need to keep the shop spotless, and when I mean spotless, its literally everything. So you are a maid, and then a salesperson. You are also
  more... asked to do weird stuff like changing the lights that are 10 feet in the air, so do not be afraid of heights.
The costumer services are just awful, many times objects got lost or forgotten in transport and the company did not really care, we had to follow our different sales orders and make sure they came in time or message a set of different people to make sure it would.
The management was a complete joke, as i said we had a lot of different managers, and none really stayed. Being a perfectionist, i always had something to do and i knew a lot of baselines of Urban Barn, but the other employees chose to ignore them and I was often stuck doing all the low work like cleaning the windows or redoing the beds.
The salary was ok, until the minimum wage raised. The company did not want to pay me more, so with the number of tasks and the stress coming with this job I decided it was not worth it anymore and left, best decision I did.
There are no real positive side, except commissions, but that is if nobody steals your sales, or if they give you decent hours, or if you have the hours nobody is in the store.
Overall, I would stay away from this company, there is a lot more to say, but I do not have the time.
Pros
Cons
stress, terrible management, incredible work load
Fun Work Place
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC15 January 2018
We basically work on shipping and receiving roles. While one team receive all the products and put away, other teams pick the orders and load on the trailers.
Pros
Fun Work Place
Cons
Lack of benefits
good place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 October 2017
urban barn is a good place to start for anyone interested in design. they deal with a lot of manufacturers that specialize in custom pieces, so you will gain knowledge about customization and configurations
Great Place to Work
Stock and Operations (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 September 2017
Fun atmosphere, great management for the most part, nice product.

Computer system isn't super user friendly and can be a challenge. You are required to hang art work, move furniture, merchandise, etc which can be a lot of fun if you're into it.

If you are in sales, pay is base plus commission. The base could be higher (compared to industry standard). It can get competitive at times and somewhat stressful at times.

Generally, this has been a fun place to work and I've met a lot of really great people.
Pros
Incentives, commission, trendy, forward thinking, fun, organized, great support system
Cons
Low wages, not a lot of room for growth
Competitive, yet friendly, work environment
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 September 2017
If you're up for a challenge, but also don't mind doing the nitty gritty work, it's great! You have to be willing to put in the hard work, but if you do, it'll pay off. There's lots of tasking (i.e. cleaning, visual presentation, etc), but if you're able to complete tasks quickly, there's always time for selling. The staff are amazing, and management is definitely there for you, and on your side - it's always good to know your boss has your back! Meeting all the clients that come into Urban Barn is really what makes the job though - getting to see how happy a person is once they have found the right furniture for their home.
Cons
concrete floors
Great teams but poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 August 2017
If you are lucky enough to get a great team, it is a really great place to work. But beyond good coworkers, there is not much positive reinforcement to continue to work for the company. Originally I was told there would always be availability to move up/develop within the company which is why I took the job. And despite having regional managers that are responsible for reviewing their stores and teams, all they focus on is numbers. So, even if you do all the work to maintain the store and coach your staff and have great reviews from your team and managers, if you don't have the sales/numbers they want - they will not promote you. You are only a number to them.

Even when inquiring for positions higher up in the company, I have had regional managers laugh at my employees even when they have great recommendation and say everyone wants that, with no professionalism or suggestions of how they can achieve their goal.

It does not feel like a company who is interested in promoting hard workers internally. I have known a number of great employees who left the company due to poor management from the regional manager.

Also, proper communication from head office, customer service and warehouses are inefficient and leave you dealing with customers without answers and support most of the time.
Pros
Team Environment, Staff Discount, Great Products
Cons
Poor management, no development within the company
Great friends and family atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2017
-low pay (each year they do an evaluation based on performance, average annual raise is $0.10, and 2.6% commission is given)
-friendly staff
-fun environment
Staff Is Like Family & Fantastic Work Environment
Stock/Visual Presentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 July 2017
I loved my time at Urban Barn. It is a great store with quality items. The staff instantly welcomes you and treats you like family. Could not imagine a better work environment in that type of industry! The companies guidelines and mottos are professional and reasonable and always have the employees along with the customers in mind. Management wants to see you succeed and works with you to help excel where to want to excel. The best part though, is providing style guidance to customers and enjoying their satisfaction in all the hard work you've put in, such great customer loyalty!
Pros
Friendly, Team Building Nights, Reasonable Hours, Constant Learning
Fun and friendly workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2017
-Management is 50/50, entirely based on where you work
- Have chances to use trend/interior design knowledge when assisting customers
-2.5% commission per sale
Pros
lots of shifts, job opportunities, fun contests
Cons
high prices discourage some customers, not all pieces canadian-made, commission disputes
Enjoy My Job
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2017
Urban barn is a good place to work. I enjoy working with the customers and helping them design their home. I would recommend them as a place to work. They are great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Barn Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.