Upwork

Canada36 reviews

Clear
3.6Pay & benefits

Found 14 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,135 reviews

Excellent to got money, flexible time

Excellent to got money, flexible timeAlways felt at home when at work, bosses were good to deal with, the safety culture was a ten compared to other places of work.

Pros

Good working environment, nice work-life balance, friendly environment, fishing activities during summer, lots of good training courses, good salary, and bonus.

Cons

site a very strict, was not a brilliant place to work

Upwork is a great place to get gigs but their fees are high

I have worked on the Upwork platform for the past nine years. I have been really happy with the work I have received. There is an endless supply of work available and they shifted their platform so clients who aren't serious will quickly be flagged. How much the clients pay isn't much to do with Upwork and what you'll find is there is a high percentage of clients who are looking for cheap writers. There are some big clients that pay normal wages as well. I am a top performer on Upwork so I don't have to pay as much as some but there are some contracts where I pay 20% of my earnings to Upwork plus $1 to withdraw funds. If I had to buy credits to apply for jobs, that would cost even more. Upwork used to charge a 10% fee and they've changed their format a few times. Where I once had five stars, I was then demoted to a percentage system that slowed down my client base for awhile.

Pros

They refer clients to me.

Cons

20% of my wages go toward Upwork fees

Productive and fun though

It's fun working here, just that the hourly pay need to be looked into and politics has to stop. There should be flexibility to move from one technology to another without sentiments. Also, freelancers complaints has to be looked into with utmost emergency and not be abandoned.

Pros

Bonus

Cons

Not flexible to move from one technology to another and the hourly rate is rigid. Also, percentage cut from hourly rate is too big and they also collect big percentage from bonus too, which is weird!

Productive Workplace

I loved my experience working with Upwork. It was a relaxed and collabrative enviroment. the demand for work was high and the pay was fair in my opinion.

Ça en vaut la peine quand on travaille fort!

J'ai d'abord été déçue sur la plateforme parce que malgré mes nombreuses années d'expérience professionnelle comme rédactrice ailleurs, j'étais traitée comme une amateur. Certains clients offrent un salaire ridicule (5$ pour 3000 mots) ou demandent tellement de révisions que ça en revient à moins du salaire minimum. Heureusement, j'ai pu trouver des clients charmants qui m'ont donné des projets très intéressants, qui me paient de façon juste et qui apprécient mon travail à sa juste valeur. C'est facile de se trouver quelques contrats quand on a du temps libre puis prendre une pause quand on est occupé et pouvoir travailler où et quand on veut. Il y a bien sûr de très mauvais clients sur Upwork, mais aussi des très bons et ce n'est pas entièrement la faute du site. Leur service à la clientèle sur Facebook est également très bon. Upwork ne fait rien de mal, mais il faut tout de même faire attention aux mauvais clients qui s'y trouvent et qui ne respectent pas les travailleurs autonomes.

Pros

Travailler quand on veut, grande autonomie, contrats de tout genre.

Cons

Il y a souvent de mauvais clients sur la plateforme.

fun to work

very nice. I just started, don't know enough. I heard upwork is good place for freelancing. Very good for web and mobile development job. I would say everyone should try upwork.

Remote Working

It is great that I can manage my working schedule and I can work from wherever I want, but there is no social interaction, and the majority of the projects do not provide insurance or simply any kind of benefits.

Flexible time to work

You can work as a team or do it individually and independently. Make good progress without negative feedback or comments or emotional abuse. I am able to work and finish on time.

Pros

flexible time

Cons

no benefits

Great place to be a freelancer.

The only issue is the large percentage of the profit that they take for being an escrow as well as the limited number of "Connects" offered. A good place to showcase your abilities and make some extra income and experience on the side.

Great Platform, Employer only oriented management

The Upwork platform is great, well polished, and user friendly. When it started, it was great, great balance and services. As time went by and management changed several times, and the freelancer base grew, it became more and more profit and employer oriented. With a fee of 20% for all earnings, it is considered one of the most expensive platforms, and smaller projects are less and less worth the time and effort.

Pros

Very large platform, user-friendly

Cons

Excessive fees, not freelancer-oriented

Awesome Workplace

I love how I can manage my own time while working. Upwork is the best place to work and I have improved my knowledge and skills through here. I have met (virtually) a lot of clients from different places around the world. The platform provides security and benefits for both freelancers and clients. I would highly recommend Upwork to everyone.

Great work experience in data entry and research

I had fun working with my clients in Upwork. They were really affable whenever I need some clarifications regarding work. Salary was also sufficient.

Good earning potential

Freelance has allowed me to start expanding my practice internationally. I have clients from Australia, US, and Israel.

Pros

Good earning potential

Cons

You will have to manage your own benefits

The ability to work from homw was great while my Kids were young.

Elance gave me the chance to earn a living from the comfort of my home and also helped me learn to compete in an ever growing market.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upwork. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Upwork with