Upside Engineering Employee Reviews

Probably one of the Best employers in Alberta
Senior Buyer / Expediter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2019
Been with the company a year. In my humble opinion probably one of the best companies in Alberta. Great team spirit and environment.
A company that is going from strength to strength has a culture of rewarding good work and nurturing the best out of it’s team.
Pros
Great environment and team spirit
Cons
Truthfully- none that I can think of.
N/a
Project Planner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2019
Great atmosphere laid back but can get very busy at times.

Management was very involved which helped in efficiency and planning projects from start to finish.

Overall, a great place to work.
Relax and comfortable work environment
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2019
Very high standard company to work with. People in management understand and work with employee professionally.
Salary and benefits are good.
Fun place
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Uncertainty
Awesome co workers
Coordinator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2018
Love to work here. Awesome people to work with. Easy to approach my manager. The economy went down and salary got affected big time. Day to day tasks is manageable.
Excellent company culture
Project Engineer/Lead Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2018
I have enjoyed a lot working with upside for over 5 years. Very good management and professional and friendly environment.

Employees at Upside enjoyed flexible working hours and the management in general is very cooperative.

Employees and contractors are generally treated fairly and very professionally.
Great Work Environment
Intermediate Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2018
I love the flexible hours and location. Close to train station and great workspace. Work place environment is okay, colleagues are nice and easy to work with.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No Parking space
Typical small EPC, your just a resource
Senior EI&C Design/Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2018
Small minded, power crazie EPC. Don't encourage free thinking or the value the experience of senior professionals. Projects were badly managed and scheduled.
Flexible work structure, good benefits and potential for growth
JUNIOR E&IC DESIGNER/DRAFTER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Great culture, hard working co-workers, great benefits, you get treated with respect. Upside offers its employees much flexibility and responsibility.
A well managed company that, when busy, provided an excellent working environment and valued their employees.
Senior Rotating Equipment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
Upside Engineering is typical of most engineering firms in the Calgary area. The hours are flexible as long as the work is completed on time. The pay matches the current going rate and co-workers are as competent as any in the industry.
Fun workplace
Senior Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2016
Fun work place with challenging tasks and supportive management team. Interesting and challenging projects to work on. Flexible work time and very good work environment.
Unpredictable place of business
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2016
This place can be lots of fun, but also leaves you feeling very uneasy about your job security. The Directors and Management Team are dishonest, and tend to throw each other under the bus. Not very well managed.
Pros
Acknowledgement of hard work
Cons
Unpredictable and bad management
Senior Piping Designer/Site Construction Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2016
Good place to work. For the most part they nurture and challenge those who are willing. Relaxed atmosphere and casual discussion is not discouraged.

Upside has been my favorite place to work. Hope they (we) survive the downturn.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Weak benefits
I loved the comradely spirit of every Friday's donuts break
Senior Technologist Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
Openness to embrace diversity throughout the hiring of many who were just came abroad from different countries, backgrounds and cultures.
Pros
Types of hiring contracts fit for every type of candidate, enabling a greater opportunity for an expedited work opportunity starting.
Cons
Same hiring contracts variety was able to create, a sense of not know what career salary path to expect.
good place to work
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2015
I got lot of experience working in Upsideengineering, supportive management,fun work place,good team work,i am expecting to be one of best engineering company in Calgary.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
no RRSP sharing
Relaxed atmosphere
Lead Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2015
Great place to work, probably the best job I've ever had. Great work environment which allowed employees to grow, learn, mingle, and had flexible work hours. I'd typically do 9 hour days from Monday-Thursday, and then 4 hours on Friday, which was great; in fact, this schedule was encouraged, yet not forced upon anyone. I was continuously challenged with work load and difficulty level, but I was given the right tools (time and resources) to complete the tasks. This alone allowed me to feel a sense of achievement on a day-to-day basis. The mentality of drafting was always to use more drafting resources towards certain projects to finish them on time, to avoid having to force people into working more than 40 hours per week. My co-workers were fantastic people, the best part about working there really. I've made life-long friends.
Pros
Lots of free social events (ice hockey, bowling, billiards tournaments, paintball, x-mas parties as well as other parties sprinkled throughout the year)
Cons
I got laid off along with most of the company when they ran out of work
Intermediate Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2015
I got along with my manager and enjoyed the work I was given. I learned facility design in depth working on the last project I worked on.
Okay place for project work
Senior Design Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2015
Responsible for the critical piping and equipment layouts, checking of vendor drawings and equipment designs. Support to the project manager and project management teams to maintain project schedule.
watch your 6 oclock
Electrical CAD Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2015
Worked real hard long hrs but was treated like dirt in return, only 1 of the designers I worked with would I consider working with again, they paid good but good pay isn't worth anything when people treat you like dirt.
Pros
up front seemed nice
Cons
when I left I felt like I had several knives in my back.
Poor Communication, Flexible Hours
Piping Designer/Drafter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2015
There's poor communication with a lot of misguided or wasted work hours. There's a lot of finger pointing.
The Flexible Hours are nice.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Poor Project Time Managemnt
Productive and Fun place to work
I&C Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2015
Lot of opportunities to learn for new comers. Management is very helpful.
Many Lunch and Learn sessions provided to keep update with latest industy standars and products.
Pros
Provides opportunities to enhance your skills