UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

Working at UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD: Employee Reviews

Canada56 reviews

schoolstudentstaffworkingplacehardpaygood

Friendly Collaborative Team

Fast paced & always learning something new doing supply work for UGDSB. My experience, knowledge, great attitude, collaborative nature, ability to problem solve, ability to make decisions, friendliness and willingness to learn & do many things, are appreciated by the kids & adults I work with.

Stressful and high rate of burnout

The best part of the job are the kids. The worst part is the bureaucracy of management. Some principals walk past you in the hall as if you’re not even there. Even after years of supplying and LTOs, it’s very difficult to earn a permanent contract. You take work home, work all weekend and feel an immense amount of pressure and anxiety.

Pros

Working with students

Cons

Poor work life balance

Insights into UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

A typical school board

The work experience for the Upper Grand District School Board varies greatly, depending on your position. As a teacher in the board, be prepared to work very hard, with minimal support.

learning environment

It was overall nice experience. HR is supportive and accessible most of the times. Although I didn't get many days to work there but I liked working as a teacher and enjoyed it.

UGDSB is a great place to work. There is a healthy work/life balance and staff are very friendly. There are always learning opportunities and there is never a dull moment

Good place if you like to teach

This is a great board to work at. There is a great deal of support and people are positive, but also respect personal time. In many aspects, I feel very taken care of working for this board.

You can expect to work as a supply EA for 2-3 years at least before being hired as a permanent EA. The work day is 7 hours which includes a 30 min. unpaid lunch and two 15 min paid breaks. You report directly to the principal or their designate. The job is fast paced. The culture is different in every school. The hardest part of the job is that some students are very challenging and you must have a thick skin to deal with language, melt-downs and tears. As a supply you will work in different schools each day all with different cultures and rules. The best part of the day is the children. Their accomplishments will make you celebrate and their smiles will melt your heart. I love my Job!

Stressful

To many expectations, not enough staffing hours to allow jobs are completed properly , staffing shortages regularly. New hires are not trained right.

Great stability, Amazing benefits, wonderful people. Great if you have a family.

Great place to work. Great people. The managers are soo supportive and your coworkers are also very supportive. Absolutely lovely people at the school board. Just not a very exciting or vibrant workplace is all...And that's not a knock on the board, it's just the nature of the job. The managers and people really make it worth it, however. The work-life balance is great too. You are never expected to work overtime! and it's hybrid in office and remote.It feels like a place you would want to end your career in. A comfortable place to work.

Pros

People, supportive managers, work-life balance, great benefits.

Cons

Not a super exciting or vibrant work culture.

Great work culture

Great place to work! Pay could be better for Office Clerical work. Awesome staff and helpful informative HR. Best to read and understand your collective agreement.

Productive learned about the nature of my job

Good informative interview little bit anxiety and nerves but feel confident after 5 minutes, because I feel confident to reply their questions. I feel like no pressure to answer any of the questions

Pros

Not sure

Cons

Smaller time for interview

Productive place to work

A good place to work. The people are friendly. A vehicle is provided for driving extended distances if required. Interdepartmental relationships are pleasant.

Pros

Paid lunches if working out of town

Looking for mediocre?

Very competitive at the school level. Upper Admin is out of touch -- afraid to be innovative, slow to act. Principals/VPs spotty. One or two excellent VPs, but principals mostly there for the grazing. School culture is cut-throat. Support often lagging.

Pros

the kids, of course.

Cons

management, lack of support for front line teachers/EAs.

Not enough full time work

I had more than 1 position within the upper grand district school board and after 10 years I still could not find even a permanent part time location. There are many staff that hold full time part time positions that have years to work before retirement .

Pros

good pay

Cons

no positions

Fun and challenging

I worked as a technician for the Fox theatre. I received excellent training and worked as part of a team of technicians which made it fun, collaborative, and challenging. If you showed initiative and kept business as business and personal as personal, it worked well.

Pros

Opportunities

Cons

can be stressful

Progressive company

Great opportunities for professional development. Excellent leadership by the director. Good benefits. Fair remuneration. Very heavy caseloads. Overall, a very positive experience.

Supportive place to work. Great professional development opportunities. Job advancement takes some time to achieve, average 2 years to get full-time. Great pay and benefits

Very hard job but great working with a team

I have never worked so hard. This is a labor intensive job. Lots of moving around school to school and being told what to chores to do. My supervisors were great.

Pros

Great supervisors and work environment.

Cons

Long days and very hard work if you are not use to it.

Good place to work, friendly and engaged staff

I enjoyed the work culture and conditions - gave me an opportunity to learn about different systems etc. As a school board they do support career studies and development.

Pros

summer hours option available

Well organized, well run school

A positive, friendly work environment with a predominately young, energetic, positive staff. Knowledgeable teachers, a wide variety of course selections, excellent additional support for those students who require it.

Supply Teacher

It's a fair system. You are a ghost in the wind but appreciated. Hard to get full-time contract, and the LTO's are hard to get as well with certain teachable subjects.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement