UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

fun and the night goes by fast
Cleaning Staff (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON6 May 2019
good money
the hardest part was working afternoons
knowing that you have cleaned the schools for the kids to learn in the morning.
goes by pretty fast because your very busy and have a lot to do.
Sharing your day with giggles and contagious laughs!
Educational Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 April 2019
The best part of the day is knowing you have made a difference in someone's day. Hearing a child laugh and play is the best part of my day. Everyone should have a peek into a child's mind. Its a beautiful world!
Great Work/Life Balance
Student Placement coordinator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 December 2018
An inclusive/welcoming environment where you will feel supported. encouragement to grow within the school board. Difficult to find permanent employment.
Pros
Off during Christmas holiday's
Cons
Pay can be on the lower end.
Student Coordinator
Plant Operations Coordinator (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON11 May 2018
Good place to work if you want to get experience with schools or the public sector.

In the summer they have food/ice cream trucks come in occasionally.
Cooperative Workplace
Secondary Mathematics Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elora, ON12 April 2018
This is a highly supportive and cooperative Board of Education providing a multitude of resources for the community, parents,students, and staff. It is also a pleasure working with the administration with this organization.
Pros
Supportive, friendly environment.
Cons
It is so pleasurable I have a tendency to work extra hours.
Lunch Supervisor
Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Arthur, ON16 March 2018
It helped me get my foot back into the work force again. I like working with students and showing how things are done by reading and writing with students . The teachers are wonderful to work with in the classroom and going on field trips. The hardest part of the job would be braking up fights of if they were injured.
I also had students that wanted to hold my hand and walk around at recess with me. Still when I go to the school some students want to give me a hug.
Pros
I was able to be flexible when my kids were young
Cons
The time was difficult sometimes
Fun place to work
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON5 February 2018
Great place to work. Good pay, good benefits. Staff was polite and easy to work with. Good hours from 8 to 3 or so. If you like working with children this job is for you
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and friendly culture
Facilities Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 January 2018
UGDSB is a very friendly and nice place to work. I did not work there as a full-time worker but as a co-op for school. They are very easy going and help you out when you need it. They do events as a department such as going to community events and doing lunches.
Managment
Supervision (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 January 2018
This will be both the worst place and best place you will ever work, always busy and days go fast. Work can be frustrating and slow on resolve. You must be very flexible in dealing with people of all personality types. Position has the standard non profit culture. Departments must work together but all have there own agenda, challenging to meet expectations and goals. Trades people are knowlegable and supportive.
Pros
Pay, benifits working conditions
Cons
Dealing with managment, people and conflict
MIddle of the road
Certified Teacher, OT (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 November 2017
The UGDSB is fairly bureaucratic and middle of the road. Try to keep to yourself, do a good job. I think that administrators do not support the teaching staff as much as they could. Watch for backstabbing teachers. Many teaching and support staff are very nice.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Little support
Great Place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 September 2017
Great place to work. Some times can be physically or mentally demanding but there is always someone there to help you learn and understand how to do things the way there supposed to be done.
Emergency Supply and EA
Emergency Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON9 August 2017
love supplying but wish there were less hoops to jump to get on permanent supply list....schools that I have supplied at (on emergency basis) have been very welcoming and kind....students are awesome...
Supply Teacher Views
Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 August 2017
I have been a supply teacher with this board over the last 12 years. I have no complaints about this board. I have learned to improvise when I have arrived at a school to find no plans, I have learned how to work with others to meet the needs of all the students. This board has provided many opprotunities to improve my teaching and general education.

My only complaint is the frustration of not being able to land full time employment, leading to a need to have additional jobs on the side.
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 August 2017
Enjoy working for this school board. Great access to resources including education centre with laminator, books, other supplies for rent. Would definitely recommend.
Generally Good Employer
Emergency Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 May 2017
I worked for Upper Grand District School Board on several occasions as an emergency supply teacher in several different schools. On each occasion I was paid promptly, and everything was well laid out. I also know several other people working as teachers in this board who are happy with their situation.
Hard to get a permanent position
Supply Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Various6 October 2016
Although it sounds great to get summers off it is not ideal as it is difficult to ever get a permanent position. The money is good but you only work 6.5 hours a day and only 10 months of the year. It is hard to get ahead as when you supply you are driving everywhere and it is difficult to go to a new school everyday.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short hours
A friendly and enjoyable place to work that puts emphasis on it's community.
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON22 June 2015
A typical work day would be going in before noon and helping out around the classroom with the two classes. This would often involve answering questions related to course material, creating worksheets, assignments, and test questions, and teaching course concepts. My co-worker was always incredibly friendly and helpful and offered pointers and advice often. I learned how to present information in different ways so everyone can understand it, methods of teaching a classroom, how to grade student worksheets and tests, and how to better control a class full of students. The hardest part of the job was controlling the volume in the classroom, however I have improved in that aspect. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the students are always very funny.
Pros
Get to laugh everyday.
Cons
Slow days hit really hard.
Good and Bad about Upper Grand District School Board
Network Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 February 2015
My position was unionized position. Even though, the organization have a lack of planning from top to bottom. No proper training for employees (implement software or Operating System and get training 3 years later). It is a family organization, by means, you will find the wife and daughter and husband working in the organization with very few to almost none for minority (immigrants).
Pros
It is a government position with good benefits
Cons
don't pay overtime and require completion of job in short period of time, High stree environment
Productive,motivating enviroment.
Head Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 November 2014
A typical day would start out clean rooms and hallways. Interacting with the kids when they came into the school. Co workers were good for the most part. The hardest part of he job was the summer cleaning of the school. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the staff and students. Over all it was an enjoyable workplace.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long days
Flexibility and daily learning environment
Educator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 September 2014
My co-workers were a lot of fun and very supportive.The students were also a lot of fun but were challenging at times in a good way. I would learn something and so would they,( a win win situation).
The best part of the job was observing a student grow and change to become more responsible with their lives and others.The hardest part of the job was to be able to keep a clear line of communication with the students and clear up any roadblocks that would make their learning environment most effective.
Pros
A positive atmospere
Cons
politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4