UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews

Great stability, Amazing benefits, wonderful people. Great if you have a family.

Great place to work. Great people. The managers are soo supportive and your coworkers are also very supportive. Absolutely lovely people at the school board. Just not a very exciting or vibrant workplace is all...And that's not a knock on the board, it's just the nature of the job. The managers and people really make it worth it, however. The work-life balance is great too. You are never expected to work overtime! and it's hybrid in office and remote.It feels like a place you would want to end your career in. A comfortable place to work.

Pros

People, supportive managers, work-life balance, great benefits.

Cons

Not a super exciting or vibrant work culture.

Stressful

To many expectations, not enough staffing hours to allow jobs are completed properly , staffing shortages regularly. New hires are not trained right.

Insights into UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Great work culture

Great place to work! Pay could be better for Office Clerical work. Awesome staff and helpful informative HR. Best to read and understand your collective agreement.

Productive learned about the nature of my job

Good informative interview little bit anxiety and nerves but feel confident after 5 minutes, because I feel confident to reply their questions. I feel like no pressure to answer any of the questions

Pros

Not sure

Cons

Smaller time for interview

Productive place to work

A good place to work. The people are friendly. A vehicle is provided for driving extended distances if required. Interdepartmental relationships are pleasant.

Pros

Paid lunches if working out of town

Looking for mediocre?

Very competitive at the school level. Upper Admin is out of touch -- afraid to be innovative, slow to act. Principals/VPs spotty. One or two excellent VPs, but principals mostly there for the grazing. School culture is cut-throat. Support often lagging.

Pros

the kids, of course.

Cons

management, lack of support for front line teachers/EAs.

Not enough full time work

I had more than 1 position within the upper grand district school board and after 10 years I still could not find even a permanent part time location. There are many staff that hold full time part time positions that have years to work before retirement .

Pros

good pay

Cons

no positions

Fun and challenging

I worked as a technician for the Fox theatre. I received excellent training and worked as part of a team of technicians which made it fun, collaborative, and challenging. If you showed initiative and kept business as business and personal as personal, it worked well.

Pros

Opportunities

Cons

can be stressful

Progressive company

Great opportunities for professional development. Excellent leadership by the director. Good benefits. Fair remuneration. Very heavy caseloads. Overall, a very positive experience.

Supportive place to work. Great professional development opportunities. Job advancement takes some time to achieve, average 2 years to get full-time. Great pay and benefits

Very hard job but great working with a team

I have never worked so hard. This is a labor intensive job. Lots of moving around school to school and being told what to chores to do. My supervisors were great.

Pros

Great supervisors and work environment.

Cons

Long days and very hard work if you are not use to it.

Good place to work, friendly and engaged staff

I enjoyed the work culture and conditions - gave me an opportunity to learn about different systems etc. As a school board they do support career studies and development.

Pros

summer hours option available

Well organized, well run school

A positive, friendly work environment with a predominately young, energetic, positive staff. Knowledgeable teachers, a wide variety of course selections, excellent additional support for those students who require it.

Supply Teacher

It's a fair system. You are a ghost in the wind but appreciated. Hard to get full-time contract, and the LTO's are hard to get as well with certain teachable subjects.

Good environments and passionate teacher

I did some LTO work and emergency supply teacher and I had a great overall impression of this school board. Overall they make the best of what they have. Like many Ontario school boards, class sizes are large, all of my sections were 30+ kids but the other staff were incredibly helpful lending me chromebooks, text books allowing group work in the hallway as long as students were quiet and respectful. Administration was very helpful as well.

Good summer job for students

Great for independent workers. Free to work at your own pace for the most part (assuming you get your work done). A consistent schedule of shifts with weekends off. For a summer student in this position, you can't really complain.

Cons

Inconsistent which school you will work at.

good

It is a pretty good place to work as an ECE. It pays well, but you don't get paid during the summer, so you need to go on EI in the summer months or find part-time work in the summer. As an ece, there is no room for advancement in the school board. once you have a contract that is it. The work-life balance is good, especially if you have school-age children. The benefits package is great. Overall it is a great place to work.

You have to be part of the group to fit in

Working on keeping students focused, not a lot of support from other teachers or principals, not a lot of room for growth, very opinionated work environment and must fit-in to get ahead.

Pros

Good pay after 10 years.

Cons

Judgemental workplace, lack of support for unfocused students

Hard working, reliable, quality-focused

I have had the privilege of working for Upper Grand District School Board as an Early Childhood Educator in the Full Day Kindergarten classroom since September 2014. This career has enabled me to learn valuable professional skills, such as classroom management (faced paced working environment), classroom safety (attention to detail and faety procedures), and adaptive teaching methods. In both my academic and professional life, I have been consistently praised as hard-working by my professors and peers.

Pros

Benefits, Pension

Cons

Far commute

Bad place to work for your better off working for timmies

They promise you 40hrs a week to get you in the door and give you next to nothing.very unorganized company.They lie to get you to get you in as a floater then abuse you until you drop.management needs to be replaced with fresh people.If your not blood related or a butt kisser your better off working for timmies as they dont give a rat for their workers.

Pros

Cons

management

Fantastic work environment.

Great place to work. Everyone is kind and willing to help you in all aspects. The students are lovely. Working with special needs students can make the day both interesting and difficult but it is definitely more rewarding than not. I love my job.

Pros

summers off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UPPER GRAND DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement