Upper Canada Child Care Employee Reviews

Assistant (Former Employee) –  Unionville, ON21 May 2019
Enjoyable for those who love to be surrounded by kids who are en route to developing their skills and growing up. Things that I've learned include that children learn best when there are no boundaries for them and they can interact with one another.
Not good place to work
ECE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 March 2019
It was a large agency so it was very professional environment and room for growth. but management was not fun to work for. I wouldn’t hear back from Supervisors, coworkers were really personal and mean. I was fired without just cause, my supervisor would go behind my back to ensure I would feel.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Horrible. Harassment. Fend for yourself.
Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Simcoe County, ON12 March 2019
THIS IS SOLELY BASED ON MY UCCC LOCATION

Fend for yourself. No cares about workplace harassment and you cannot talk to supervisors because they do not care either.

Was promised 15 hours/week at $15/hour WITH benefits - didn't happen but everyone hired after myself received this.

Co-workers call children, families and parents names in private, making fun of and putting them down as well as new and supply staff members.

Was thrown into the supply position without basically any training (especially in class as I didn't even know about how the attendances work or where anything was [specifically diapers, changing equipment,etc.] and I was not even told about my lunch break and almost worked all the way through it due to the lack of communication).

Spoke to my location lead about the harassment and told me to fend for myself, stand up to her and tell her off instead of making the appropriate approach to the fellow co-worker. This led to the lead having favoritism of my fellow co-worker which led to SEVERE depression, anxiety and eventually my resignation.

I was FORCED to go to work with a very high grade fever, vomiting and severe diarrhea.

I was denied money that I WORKED for, because of false "rules" and "grace periods" that was never communicated to myself OR my team lead.

Lack of Support. Very Unorganized, Unprofessional, Horrible.
Pros
the kids, split shift
Cons
Harassment, Bullying, Unorganized, Unprofessional, Fend for Yourself, Lack of Training, NO Support, NO Compassion, NO Empathy, Thieves
Very supportive environment
RECE (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 January 2019
The fact that we get paid sick time and paid vacation is huge. Overall as a RECE this is a great company who truly values their employees. Management is always asking for our input. They have made a lot of change regarding the input that was given to them. Also I have found they have always been willing to listen.
Pros
Paid sick and vacation time and good benefits
A good start.
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATOR (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 January 2019
This is a good start for those who are newly graduated. The split shift is nice, as are the benefits. However, offsite management seems willfully ignorant to the issues their staff face while on the job. Summer camp was a disaster with a huge lack of support from management, leaving many staff mentally and physically exhausted.
Don't stay longer than you have to - there are better opportunities that will treat you better and allow you to advance.
Pros
Split shift bonus, benefits
Cons
Lack of support
Fun and hectic place with lots of kids.
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2019
Really fun place to be in, enjoyed going there four times a week, especially the trips. Extremely hectic and loud sometimes, but overall good experience and got my volunteer hours.
Pros
Free snacks and trips
Cons
Supportive, encouraging and trust in staff
RECE (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 October 2018
I've been working at the company for more than 3 years, supervisor and director were always being supportive for professional improvement. Work life balance is a big thing in the organization. We don't have friends at work because they are all families!!!!

A lovely place to work at!!
Pros
benefits, positive atmosphere, open communication
Not a good place to work due to Management
Supply Staff (Former Employee) –  York Region25 September 2018
A certain member of management does not care about the staff and has great influence over other members of management. If management is the bully, you have no one to complain to. If you voice your opinion or ask for fairness, you will be out. You will not be called for shifts and you are let go in a rather sneaky way which is not within the limits of the law but somehow he gets away with it.

The children and staff at the centers were great to work with.
Pros
The children and staff at the centers
Cons
Unfair management
over worked, under paid- rarely acknowledged for efforts
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON18 June 2018
- turnover is ridiculous
- no formal training; sink or swim type of job
- supervisor will make or break experience
- Expectation of work quality and time to complete, do not match- be prepared to take work home- WEEKLY.
- Company recently implemented sick days- yet there are hardly enough supply staff to accommodate ONE centre, never mind over 80 enters.
- shared space environment can be a very positive experience
- the families and children pull on your heart strings- they make everything else worth it
- company advertises advancement, with supervisors who have been with the company for over 30 years , however, do not encourage you to move forward. On more than one occasion, staff have been offered a job position they showed interests in ONLY AFTER resignation.
Pros
employee benefits
Cons
lack of support
felt like a family
Casual RECE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2018
I liked working there. Felt like a family member. Families and children were amazing. The team was awesome. I was able to experiment various activities for children
Keep searching; this isnt the place to apply
ECE Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON31 May 2018
This was an all around, awful place to work. Employees did not work as a team. Every room from toddlers to school age were out for themselves which made for lots of cattiness and an uncomfortable work environment.
Thinking about my experience with this company makes me exhausted and I immediately put my guard up. I do not recommend this company to anyone hoping to pursue ECE. AVOID AT ALL COST!
Pros
The Children
Cons
Hours, management, pay
good summer job
LIFEGUARD / UPPER CANADA CHILD CARE (Former Employee) –  North York, ON1 March 2018
my supervisor was always helpful and I had an overall great experience. we had fair breaks and the wage was good as well. met some great coworkers as well
Challenging yet satisfying
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2017
I have been working for Upper Canada Child Care for the past 6 years. I went from split shift, to full-time to supply. I will say the company, as all companies, has its flaws, but overall I have had and still have a fulfilling time. One thing I will say is, although the company itself says they support all staffs continuing education, they only mean if you are going for your RECE. If anything beyond that, no matter how good and devoted of a staff member you may be, they will not support you in any way. Other than that, they are fairly accommodating.
Pros
Educational, and always learning new things
Cons
Not supportive of all staff who are continuing their education
Enthuastic fun enviornment
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 June 2017
Working at Upper Canada Child Care has definitely been a great opportunity for me. I was blessed to meet many other educators and peers in and out of the field who have been great mentors through out my journey in the field.
Great place to work learned a lot
Early Childhood education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 March 2017
a typical day would start at 7am I always came in at 630 to set up the room with breakfast and table activities and just making sure that the room was ready for the day I would do the yard cheek and the water cheek. the kids and I would make puzzles play card games and board games. we would take the kids out at 830 am to be outside for when school started we would play on the filed or just walk around the yard we were always busy doing something this time of year would be basket ball outside and walks on the trail that ran behind the school.
I Should say worked split shift from 7am-9am then 3-6pm

so at 3pm I would come in and help make snack for the kids and get it ready take it to our room I worked with the kids that are in grade 2-6. we would take attendants then go out for a hour or longer depending on weather sometimes we would take snack with us outside then after the time outside the kids and I would come in and do activities and homework until 6pm
Pros
wounderful opportunities
Cons
i never had any
Amazing Atmospere whether full time or a supply
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 February 2017
I absolutely love working with Upper Canada Child Care, my experience as a supply staff was amazing as I had the chance to meet many different educators as well as learn different types of techniques that different staff use to keep the children engaged. As a full time employee at a center I miss that. But I love the family type dynamic I feel with my fellow coworkers and that I get to make personal connections with all of them!
fun work place but challenging at times
enhancement (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 July 2016
crafts, snack, outdoor activities
the management was alright, it could be a lot better there were a lot of conflicts between staff but we managed to work together and stay professional.
the best part of the job was seeing the joy in the children's faces
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
staff members
Not a team enviornment
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2016
There is no support or fairness from any of the people in the higher positions. There is tons of criticism from people and you are never doing enough, by their standards. You are expected to work unpaid hours and they have a "take one for the team" attitude when you are the only one taking it. There are assumptions made but you are never asked to clarify or explain when situations arise. It's always a one sided story. You are always being watched and are always at fault. It's not about the children for them. The children are used as pons.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
unpaid hours
Not a very caring, or kind company towards employees and children.
Assistant/Supply Staff/Enhancment (Former Employee) –  Sutton, ON3 June 2016
Poor management skills, hours are never guaranteed, cannot voice your opinion without being let go or scrutinized. If the supervisor decides not to show up that day, which happens often, you cannot leave the building on your unpaid lunch hour. Some employees will put children into dangerous situations and blame it on others. Cellphones are always out and most times some employees are more concerned with their phones than the children. This company is all take and no give.
Pros
Free lunch with the children
Cons
9 hour days, unpaid lunch breaks, unreliable hours
fun place to work
Junior Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 May 2016
fun environment to work in if you enjoy kids
co workers are super nice and friendly
you get to go to lots of fun places like the zoo and water parks
hardest part was trying not to yell at the kids
Pros
free trips. free treats

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Upper Canada Child Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Upper Canada Child Care Reviews by Location