Upper Canada Child Care

Upper Canada Child Care Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Lots of management turnover. Overall, not stressful, relaxed. Only stressful when the manager came in. Even made the kids feel stressed. Management too focused on playing by the rules to the tee and not the well-being of the children.
Used and abused describes my experience working at UCCC, as well as different rules for different people. (staff). Supervisor and assistant supervisor rarely came out of their office and didn’t even know who I was talking about when I expressed my concern for a very troubled child.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
As already stated
Mostly on the road going to all the centers to repair stuff.Very laid back place to work.Most of the people know what there doing.Not everyone works as a team.
Job is very stressful, despite ece or eca duties and expectations are the same, but if you dont have that ece degree you dont get the ece pay. Poor hr system.
This company is good I dont get many hours though but the people are great and the kids are amazing. I dont knkw what else to say but they are good...
Management gives only negative feedback and never says anything positive about your efforts, no matter how great you are doing. There was constant harassment by my immediate supervisor. I was new to kindergarten, but this was not taken into account. I ended up quitting abruptly, as the job was toxic to my health.
Pros
the children, the breakfast and snacks served to the children
Cons
the management
Enjoyable for those who love to be surrounded by kids who are en route to developing their skills and growing up. Things that I've learned include that children learn best when there are no boundaries for them and they can interact with one another.
It was a large agency so it was very professional environment and room for growth. but management was not fun to work for. I wouldn’t hear back from Supervisors, coworkers were really personal and mean. I was fired without just cause, my supervisor would go behind my back to ensure I would feel.
Pros
Salary, benefits
THIS IS SOLELY BASED ON MY UCCC LOCATION

Fend for yourself. No cares about workplace harassment and you cannot talk to supervisors because they do not care either.

Was promised 15 hours/week at $15/hour WITH benefits - didn't happen but everyone hired after myself received this.

Co-workers call children, families and parents names in private, making fun of and putting them down as well as new and supply staff members.

Was thrown into the supply position without basically any training (especially in class as I didn't even know about how the attendances work or where anything was [specifically diapers, changing equipment,etc.] and I was not even told about my lunch break and almost worked all the way through it due to the lack of communication).

Spoke to my location lead about the harassment and told me to fend for myself, stand up to her and tell her off instead of making the appropriate approach to the fellow co-worker. This led to the lead having favoritism of my fellow co-worker which led to SEVERE depression, anxiety and eventually my resignation.

I was FORCED to go to work with a very high grade fever, vomiting and severe diarrhea.

I was denied money that I WORKED for, because of false "rules" and "grace periods" that was never communicated to myself OR my team lead.

Lack of Support. Very Unorganized, Unprofessional, Horrible.
Pros
the kids, split shift
Cons
Harassment, Bullying, Unorganized, Unprofessional, Fend for Yourself, Lack of Training, NO Support, NO Compassion, NO Empathy, Thieves
The fact that we get paid sick time and paid vacation is huge. Overall as a RECE this is a great company who truly values their employees. Management is always asking for our input. They have made a lot of change regarding the input that was given to them. Also I have found they have always been willing to listen.
Pros
Paid sick and vacation time and good benefits
This is a good start for those who are newly graduated. The split shift is nice, as are the benefits. However, offsite management seems willfully ignorant to the issues their staff face while on the job. Summer camp was a disaster with a huge lack of support from management, leaving many staff mentally and physically exhausted.
Don't stay longer than you have to - there are better opportunities that will treat you better and allow you to advance.
Pros
Split shift bonus, benefits
Cons
Lack of support
Really fun place to be in, enjoyed going there four times a week, especially the trips. Extremely hectic and loud sometimes, but overall good experience and got my volunteer hours.
Pros
Free snacks and trips
Cons
I've been working at the company for more than 3 years, supervisor and director were always being supportive for professional improvement. Work life balance is a big thing in the organization. We don't have friends at work because they are all families!!!!

A lovely place to work at!!
Pros
benefits, positive atmosphere, open communication
A certain member of management does not care about the staff and has great influence over other members of management. If management is the bully, you have no one to complain to. If you voice your opinion or ask for fairness, you will be out. You will not be called for shifts and you are let go in a rather sneaky way which is not within the limits of the law but somehow he gets away with it.

The children and staff at the centers were great to work with.
Pros
The children and staff at the centers
Cons
Unfair management
- turnover is ridiculous
- no formal training; sink or swim type of job

- supervisor will make or break experience

- Expectation of work quality and time to complete, do not match- be prepared to take work home- WEEKLY.

- Company recently implemented sick days- yet there are hardly enough supply staff to accommodate ONE centre, never mind over 80 enters.

- shared space environment can be a very positive experience

- the families and children pull on your heart strings- they make everything else worth it

- company advertises advancement, with supervisors who have been with the company for over 30 years , however, do not encourage you to move forward. On more than one occasion, staff have been offered a job position they showed interests in ONLY AFTER resignation.
Pros
employee benefits
Cons
lack of support
I liked working there. Felt like a family member. Families and children were amazing. The team was awesome. I was able to experiment various activities for children
This was an all around, awful place to work. Employees did not work as a team. Every room from toddlers to school age were out for themselves which made for lots of cattiness and an uncomfortable work environment.
Thinking about my experience with this company makes me exhausted and I immediately put my guard up. I do not recommend this company to anyone hoping to pursue ECE. AVOID AT ALL COST!
Pros
The Children
Cons
Hours, management, pay
my supervisor was always helpful and I had an overall great experience. we had fair breaks and the wage was good as well. met some great coworkers as well
I have been working for Upper Canada Child Care for the past 6 years. I went from split shift, to full-time to supply. I will say the company, as all companies, has its flaws, but overall I have had and still have a fulfilling time. One thing I will say is, although the company itself says they support all staffs continuing education, they only mean if you are going for your RECE. If anything beyond that, no matter how good and devoted of a staff member you may be, they will not support you in any way. Other than that, they are fairly accommodating.
Pros
Educational, and always learning new things
Cons
Not supportive of all staff who are continuing their education
Working at Upper Canada Child Care has definitely been a great opportunity for me. I was blessed to meet many other educators and peers in and out of the field who have been great mentors through out my journey in the field.
a typical day would start at 7am I always came in at 630 to set up the room with breakfast and table activities and just making sure that the room was ready for the day I would do the yard cheek and the water cheek. the kids and I would make puzzles play card games and board games. we would take the kids out at 830 am to be outside for when school started we would play on the filed or just walk around the yard we were always busy doing something this time of year would be basket ball outside and walks on the trail that ran behind the school.
I Should say worked split shift from 7am-9am then 3-6pm

so at 3pm I would come in and help make snack for the kids and get it ready take it to our room I worked with the kids that are in grade 2-6. we would take attendants then go out for a hour or longer depending on weather sometimes we would take snack with us outside then after the time outside the kids and I would come in and do activities and homework until 6pm
Pros
wounderful opportunities
Cons
i never had any