Unlimited Potential Community Services

• Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Overall satisfaction

Just nope!

They don't actually want staff who care about the kids. Sad part is the kids call out every single person there who is only there for a paycheck and treat them accordingly. The management is garbage, isn't willing to do the things they expect from their staff and are catty and back stabbing. They rarely encourage staff but are quick to criticize or point out anything they think is wrong.

Poor treatment of clients and toxic workplace culture

I find this review heartbreaking as I genuinely feel for the children who are subjected to some of the staff that are employed here. This company does not want staff who care about children. When working on rotations, you can see the difference in demeanour of the children when staff who care are working, and staff who do not. Management consists of friends and there is absolutely no room for growth unless you are in their clique. If you speak up against another staff mistreating a youth, you are reprimanded for it. It's really sad more than anything for the children. I would not recommend working here at all. At the end of the day, it's cliquey management who leave you in unfair situations and treat you like garbage.

Pros

The children

Cons

Management, senior staff, lack of support, and understaffing.

really busy, hard but rewarding work

Have only worked in the group homes not the other program areas, but I love the work. Covid has been hard on everyone but the teams do everything they can to support each other while caring for the youth and kids. Management is there for the staff, excellent benefits and support around having to isolate for Covid symptoms and testing.

Pros

benefits and supports

Cons

kids can be aggressive and challenging

Best Company Ever

Sadly, I am coming close to moving onto a new career journey but wanted to write my experience with this company. Central area f or this company has by far the best Management Team I have ever worked for. The Manager of Group Care use to be my House Manager and was amazing then, and continues to be an amazing leader and a source of positive energy for the area. The three current House Manager are some of the best people I have ever worked for and they do their best each day to support the youth and Staff. I would encourage anyone who wants to work with youth to apply and work for these amazing people. No place is perfect, there will always be something someone doesnt like, but this managment team is there to listen and support you as much as they can. Although I will be staying on casual, I will miss the management team and the many wonderful people who I have worked with.

Pros

Wonderful working environment

Cons

When it’s good, it’s great, when it’s bad it’s awful

Worked here quite a while. Initially really enjoyed both the people I worked the floor with, my manager, and the youth. However, head office is a joke that lends no support or understanding if something happens that you need to deal with (ie. extended health leave, mental health, personal/family concerns). If you are not a “company man”/“yes man” or try to stand up for yourself, expect to get written up. The benefits are great and I loved the kids the I worked with, but the organizational culture is toxic. Also, be prepared to not hold grudges. The kid who bit you on Monday is going to be the kid who wants to play basketball with you on Wednesday; you need a thick skin sometimes.

Pros

Fun outings, benefits, working and seeing youth succeed, when there is a team that clicks

Cons

Can be long hours, management, dealing with crises, management, little room for advancement, management, inexperienced people being hired and promoted, management

This place is the worst

I've worked with lots of group care companies and this one is horrendous. The home environments you directly work in suck and are miserable. Management sucks and does not care about the kids or you. Upper manager is even worse.

DO NOT work here with COVID

Management has poorly managed COVID and has not done enough to ensure the safety of staff. Management seems to care solely about protecting themselves as opposed to their staff. The Stony Plain houses are the most dangerous and it is not worth getting injured or sick for a toxic work environment. They are not having staff or clients isolate when they should be as they are so short staffed and both the clients and other staff are at risk. The houses is Stony Plain are poorly mismanaged and nothing more than a disgusting amount of gossip, maltreatment of children, and cliquey management. Do not work for this organization. Staff turn over is high for a reason and management is a joke

Awful place to work

Very easy to get a job here because there is a very high turnover in staff. New staff enter with no experience and you have to train them and take care of a house full of kids who run the place. Management picks favorites and if you are not in that group you don't get any support. If you begin dealing with your own mental health they will gladly throw you out the door without a chance to say good bye to any of the kids you've been working with. Just adds more trauma for the team to work with.

Pros

the kids

Cons

management, pay, stressful

A poor excuse for a company

The management acts more childish then the children, no respect for staff, cliques, talking badly about youth right infront of them, super unprofessionalism. Embarassed to say I worked here. Quit half a year into it.

Pros

Pay is decent, and great training courses.

Cons

Short staffed, gossip, no direction, uncomfortable work environment, rude to children/youth.

Fire you without reasoning/wont tell you why

So many people getting fired and not told why. Over workes staff, zero support. Very under staffed. Staff getting injured daily because there is not enough people to staff fully. They fire you over a phone call as well. They also staff people whk do not have any training.

Pros

Co workers were amazing

Cons

Understaffed. Under appreciated. Fire you gor no reason. No training

Don't Do It

They are always short staff and the staff that you work with allow the youth to do whatever they like. There is no structure, and those in management gossip more than the staff in the homes. Hard for relief staff to get shifts because the full time staff and managers take any extra shifts that come up for themselves. Salary also doesn't increase so where you start is where you stay for your entire period working with them. Many of their workers are also racist and some of their managers as well.

The management is Autocratic

This organization is ruled with an iron fist if you have your own health concerns they are rebuked. Many people work out of the office which is good but if you ask to do the same you are let go. No matter how good your job performance was or how this termination will affect the team you work with. I loved the work and the team I worked with but I would not recommend working here at all.

Pros

salary

Cons

Autocratic

Fast paced and challenging career

I was shocked to read some of the reviews on here and felt compelled to leave one myself, I worked for Unlimited Potential as both casual and full time. The management in the program and upper management were always available and on call 24/7, they answered my questions and after I dealt with a physically aggressive client they were there to support me. I had access to the employee assistance program for someone to talk to for free. The pay is what it is for this field across Alberta and they have really good benefits. It is a great company with a great culture and they are very trauma informed, it was sad to see the strong negative perception being put out there.

Pros

Benenfits, support, care for the kids

Cons

aggressive clients, very busy and fast paced all shift

This entire company needs replacing

The management and workplace culture of this company is absolutely disgusting and horrifying. Manager of group care service has no regard for any of her employees and I feel terrible for the new company she works for. Yells at staff for advocating for the best practices for the clients and targets employees. Manager of the Stony Plain houses isn’t much better. Maybe you wouldn’t have such a hard time keeping staff if you wer didn’t treat them like total trash.

Pros

The kids

Cons

Management and environment

Poor Management

It’s quite unfortunate how management operates. There is no opportunity for advancement in the company unless you are friends with the right people. Seems to be a pattern within the company.. staff who speak up against malpractice by management and shift leads are frequently written up or eventually terminated. At the end of the day, although the staff suffer, the clients suffer the most. Manager of the entire group care is incompetent and treats her inferiors like absolute garbage despite the fact they’ve probably done more work than her in one shift than she has during her entire tenure. Very unfortunate the staff that have the client’s best interest at heart are no longer working there due to toxic environment. If this company ever wants a chance at redeeming themselves they need to wipe out their entire management and upper management completely.

Pros

The clients

Great Management

They really listen to what you have to say. I just feel like i do not get paid enough for what i do. However the management does a really great job managing the team

I’d give negative stars

I have never experienced a more toxic work environment in my ten years in group care. Managers yelling at employees for situations out of their control, refusing to apologize once admitting they were wrong, and being unethical in numerous practices - specifically medication administration. If you value your reputation as a child and youth care worker do NOT work here.

Job specifications and environment

. Job duties were open ended and interpreted differently by management needs. Please if you apply for ANY position you get full disclosure in writing of expected duties and it’s fully clarified to you! absolute clarification in writing i

Pros

Location, pay, hours of work.

Cons

Poor communication, management, no support to staff, youths are destructive, abusive, unmanageable, high stressors, poor living skills, poor housing

Rewarding Work

It was a useful income while still attending High School. My schedule was flexible. Payment was monthly and sometimes took time to process. It was also challenging work as I had an infant dependant on my care.

Not good

I work relief for up and it is ridiculous. Children are not well managed and there is not enough staff to manage. Management should be staying to help when not enough staff are there instead of leaving new people alone without proper training or help

management is the worst

Avoid this company at ALL costs. They do not pay you properly and they do not allow for you to move up on the pay scale. Horrible safety of staff and management is extremely unfair and favor friends. The treatment of clients is horrible and I’m surprised nothing has been done about the NUMEROUS issues despite these issues being brought to the attention of management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unlimited Potential Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5