University of Winnipeg

University of Winnipeg Employee Reviews

Canada74 reviews

studentopportunityexperiencelearnedstaffenvironmentworkinglot

Bio lab demo

Do this if you can! Great opportunity to connect with profs and students. Good relationship building & helps you learn as well. It’s not a bad job & pays decently for being in regular semester labs 1 time a week. Try it out!! It’s been a great experience for me personally.

Pros

Building relationships

Great and supportive team

It was a worthwhile experience for me. I met great people, and the organisation's culture and atmosphere were encouraging. I will miss everyone greatly.

Insights into University of Winnipeg

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging

Great work environment

I worked with a great team and a supportive manager. I didn't have direct experience, but had transferable skills, so I learned a lot on the job. There are high expectations here, and my efforts were appreciated. The salary wasn't high but certainly livable.

Flexible schdule

Working as a tutor was a great experience. Has flexible schedule, and the coordinators are nice. If you are UW Student, I recommend apply for the peer tutor job!

Easy and collaborative

Easy-going, collaborative, and flexible. Con is only that your hours aren't set and it depends on availability of the position on a certain day so you may for example work just once a week even though you would like to work more hours.

Pros

Easy-going and friendly atmosphere

Cons

Work week hours are not set and dependent on events. Majority of work is at night.

okay place to work

Many TA jobs available. They don't pay particularly well but they're okay. Sometimes involves substitution duties, marking tests, assignments and papers.

Pros

Bus access

Cons

Homeless people sometimes enter

Lots of freedom to teach your content, your way

Caring management, flexible with your schedule, and supportive of professional development. However, instructors are conttract-based - very little job security, no benefits, etc.

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Little job security

Productive and excellent place to work with good compensation.

Staff members are excellent, knowledgeable, competent and highly motivated professionals. The University of Winnipeg is a great and an inspiring citadel of learning.

Pros

An institution of higher with great reputation, high teaching standards, good location, competitive compensation for its workers.

Not for the ambitious

Us against them culture, (union members & managers), work is unsatisfying, people are in there own world. Skills get depleted after time. Not a good career path if your ambitious. Trades people are not appreciated.

Pros

Christmas break 2 weeks long

Cons

Expensive parking down town wpg

Fun workplace with free food

I work as a volunteer there. I learned about the safety policies of customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with people. The workplace is very comfortable. I enjoy working there. Somedays like during the night it use to be very busy but that's where I think the fun begins.

a very welcom but also serious working enviroment

the working environment is nice. the appliances in the lab are well updated. the rules and disciplines of the job are clearly described and the employers can follow them easily.

Great Part time Job

Worked here as a lab demo while completing my degree. Great opportunity for students to add something to their resume while still studying in school!!

Great workplace experience. Not much training, however the job was quite straight forward.

I was offered the job due to my ability to interact and form connections with my classmates, as well as my passion for the course. In preparation for the job, I made sure that I was more than prepared for any occasion/obstacle that might appear. Most of my training was a quick run-through on what to expect so, but not much in the field. I, however, am a very quick learner and took to the job quickly.

good and very efficient for everyone to work there

I have not worked there but am studying so I know little about job experience. As am very new there so I can't even properly describe about that. But I personally feel it as good job location

Productive and good place to work

The work was pretty easy and everybody was very helpful. Its a place where u learn about the recycling of every plastic and how it is used for daily life.

This is a contract position

I teach one course in the Winter and Spring sessions and absolutely love it. Staff, management and students are amazing to deal with. Preparation of a curriculum, quizzes, written assingments as well as mid-term and final exams. PP Presentation is almost always a requirement.

Depends on who you TA for

Depending on who you are matched with (I say matched with because I've applied to TA with certain professors, and will get put up with a different professor I didn't apply to work with), the work can be good and challenging. If you are unlucky however, the person you work for could be unorganized to the point where you don't get work because they don't answer emails - you are paid on the hours you input.

Good

I enjoyed working at the uofw. It was a good experience because of the knowledge I gained with data entry and analysis. It was collaborative and a fun environment.

Great culture, low income.

Professional, well-managed and supportive place to work. Salary is not quite on-par with academic support positions in other Canadian universities but overall my experience with my supervising professors and department chair was excellent.

Safety and creative work environment

You can apply what you learn in class to your work. In addition, you can improve the results by using new knowledge by asking help from instructors or supervisors.

Great for Casual Work

Great for working as event staff. The staff were great to work with and the management did what they could to help out students who needed part time work while taking their degree.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Winnipeg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Winnipeg with

University of Winnipeg reviews by location

Learn about University of Winnipeg in popular locations