University of Windsor

University of Windsor Management reviews

Old fashion
Biological Sciences Stockroom Technician (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON3 January 2020
University of Windsor is old fashion.
racism and sexism in the workplace
accounting mistakes
unfair working environment
administration hires people as temp so they dont have to deal with unions
Productive and amzing place if you like
Student (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 November 2019
university of Windsor is an amazing place to be if u know what u doing, it has many issues as well especailly when it comes to documents and getting them from all the different offices
Great pay. Great Benefits. Select few advance.
Salaried Employee (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 September 2019
Work environment varies around campus depending on who you are working for. Many departments have a great work environment. There seems to be a problem caused by silos of information making it difficult for the institution to operate as a whole, or share information and services efficiently. There are large groups of employees who do not feel heard and respected by management. Due to this, costly and ineffective programs have been implemented, causing disruption to students and recruitment efforts. The Human Resources department seems to operate differently than most others, and some of their measures are alarming at best. Preference is given to university graduates for nearly all roles on campus.
Huge growth working here
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 July 2019
I learned so much about time management, the research process and communicating with vulnerable patients working in the PACR Lab. It was a great experience.
great people great environment
Center of Executive and Professional Education (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON28 May 2019
I have done lots of small projects daily, not heavy, sometimes repetitive. It happens though. at every work
The management board is great. My supervisor is very nice to me when I was working there.
The most enjoyable is the working hour is very nice and people are very friendly.
Sub-Par
Biomechanical Applications Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 February 2019
it was a very unprofessional work environment, with much arguing and chaos. Leadership was abysmal, and resources available to students are pathetic. Would never recommend students to attend or work here.
Student Placement
Student Disability Services, Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 February 2019
I finished my 4th year of university with this placement.

A typical review of a day was office meeting and various projects that the staff would have students work on either in a team or independently.

I learned by working with both student and management colleagues how to search for resources within the community,

Workplace culture was very diverse and we were open to seeing how other lived and if they had language barriers, etc.

Hardest part of the job was keeping up with assignments and reading.

Most enjoyable part of the job was when you were able to help someone assistance within the community due to not being able to get outside independently.
Pros
Skills learned to help with future employment
Cons
Client who blame for miscommunication
Univeristy of Windsor
Orientation Sponsorship Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 December 2018
Typical days are generally scheduled around that 8am-5pm time range, and depending on the position those hours could be filled quite tightly with tasks, or things could be slow. This all depends on the job that you possess as well as the motivation you (as the employee) have to find things to fill time as well.

I learned a lot about university protocols, procedures. and basic administrative skills.

Management can be something that also differs depending on your job title and department. I have had some bosses that are very involved in their employees steps every part of the way and then I have had other bosses that are more delegation based.

The workplace culture within the university is very good. Many of the people I worked with were really great people; generally quite a positive place to work.

The most challenging part of the work would have been the duration of contracts.

The most enjoyable thing is the workplace culture.
Pros
Great Hours (Long, and Regular)
Cons
Difficult to Progress
Great environment
Environmental Sustainability Team Member (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 December 2018
learning and very supportive environment,
got chance to gain strong knowledge and experience in concepts of sustainable solid waste management and zero waste management gained by academic studies and case study on Solid Waste Management
Great co-workers, poor managers
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 November 2018
If you are looking for work that is permanent, full-time, this is not the place for you. While the University is expanding and growing in campus locations, it is contracting out every which way it can, from contract faculty to IT services and even custodial workers.

But its wage and salary structures are one of the few remaining good points in an area where job growth forecast is not sunny.
Pros
unionized wage structures
Cons
outsourcing, temp-work, poor management
Poorly organized workplace with awful advisors
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 July 2018
It was challenging dealing with a childish advisor. Professionalism and etiquette were abysmal, and procedure outlined within guidelines was seldom followed.
Great environment to work
Concert Operation Team Member (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 July 2018
Great place to work at.
Super energetic and friendly staff and great support from management too.
Easy to commute as near bus route.
Relaxed and enjoyable work environment in real sense.
it was productive, enjoyable and educative.
Desk staff (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 April 2018
working in the University of Windsor was so productive. I acquired skills like good communication, problem solving, team work, and time management. The hardest part of the job was dealing with stubborn students who are rude. The enjoyable part of it was that I had the RAs with me to help me if i had any problem plus we were given salary even during vacations.
Pros
friendly job
Cons
long hours at night
High stress work
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 February 2018
My work days were stressful and there was little support from management. Bullies thrived in the culture.

I enjoyed the work and the clients I served, just not the terrible environment.
Pros
Good benefits and vacation.
Cons
Toxic environment.
Secure and reliable job with a decent wage
Porter (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON13 August 2017
The employer worked well with staff to help accommodate people and their lives. ie: shift replacements and requests for time off were often accommodated when given enough notice.
The wage was decent for the local economy. Part-timers had an optional premium to pay for benefits. benefits should have been compulsory for better rates.
The job security was good, but little room for advance. As a part-timer I had to find loopholes to get full time hours without full-time benefits.
Management was good, sometimes a little forgetful and anxious or high strung for certain events, but we always managed to pull it together to get things done.
Employees act entitled and like the employer owes them something. I see a divide between the full-timers and part-timers. I don't view the job security to stay as strong in the coming decade or so.
Pros
$3/day to grab a meal up to $13.50 in value
Cons
Almost 0 chance of getting permanent full-time
I was a student.
Technical Lead, Autonomous Drone Capstone Project (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON7 August 2017
Was a student. Good school, profs are lively as long as you can speak languages that aren't english. Obviously have no clue how the management is. Good luck.
Productive workplace
Summer Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 June 2017
I learnt time management at work by meeting deadlines. The supervisor was very supportive. I was given flexible hours to work after my classes in University of Windsor. The entire team was hardworking.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Small Office
Typical day teaching high school or grade school practicums.
Student Helper/ Guru (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 June 2017
A typical day at work with the practicums was very interesting. Class management skills seemed to be rather challenging, however, with the extensive training of the University of Windsor Bachelor of Education program success was attainable. The most important skill learned was to be sensitive to each student's individual needs. Individual tutoring seemed to isolate and resolve problems rather well.
Pros
Good lunches, never boring, very interesting and fun.
Great !
UWSA Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON7 June 2017
I really enjoyed working for the University of Windsor. It is a large Organization, so I would recommend looking into the character and quality of the Team Lead or Department in general. Good Luck :)
Not dynamic place,
Post-Doctoral Fellow / Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON28 April 2017
The University of Windsor also ushered in a new era in September 2015 with the opening of classes at the first phase of its downtown campus in the heart of Windsor’s core. The new building—which retains the historic facade of the former Windsor Star newspaper building—houses the School of Social Work and the Centre for Executive and Professional Education.

The second phase of the downtown campus—now under construction—will include the School of Creative Arts, which will be located in the century-old site of the Windsor Armouries and an adjacent, new building.