University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

Excellent Post Secondary Institute
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 March 2018
I had the opportunity to work with Lab Managers /research nurses/Clinical managers/Clerical research assistants and project manager. My role was extremely varied and exciting. Everyday I learned new skills and challenges which expanded my knowledge. I had the chance to meet new patients on a constant basis. Beginning of each working day all activities are discussed and the days's roles are allocated as appropriate.
Pros
Working in a University environment was very rewarding
Cons
short term employment
Research assistant
Student, Cell Biology Lab (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 February 2018
Working at the University of Western Ontario as a research assistant in the department of biochemistry was great and a lot of fun! I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone!
Woking was enjoyabel
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2018
I worked as a graduate research and teaching assistant at Western. My supervisor was very cooperative and an environment designed for teaching and learning.
Overeall: Excellent
Excellent workplace for scientific research
Associate Researcher (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 January 2018
Excellent University! Prof. I. Povar is a well-known specialist in the area of modelling and theoretical research of natural aqueous systems, mainly, involving complex chemical reaction equilibria. During 10 years, until 2009, he worked as an associate researcher at the University of Western Ontario, London, Canada, being actively involved in research of chemical kinetics and thermodynamics of reactions in the organic chemistry using various ab initio theoretical techniques, modelling and theoretical research.
ok
Doctoral student (Former Employee) –  london on21 January 2018
The people are pleasant, there is no career advancement, very low pay, management have there own view, workplace is relaxed, too much politics, the weather is bad
University of Western Ontario
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here. The work was interesting and challenging. The environment was stimulating. My colleagues were bright, interesting and supportive. I really enjoyed working with the mix of patrons- staff, colleagues, faculty, students and the public.
Good job but managers talk down to you a bit
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 January 2018
Meetings were quite unorganized and management were not the nicest. The actual work was fun and exciting if you like to teach. Students made it fun and rewarding.
Interesting and collaborative place to work
Legal Research & Instructional Librarian (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2018
Pros
Flexible hours, interesting work, great colleagues
Cons
Lots of committee work
One of the best locations to do a post-doc
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
Western is uniquely positioned at the forefront in health and science research (at least outside of the GTA) due to its partnership with the Western Hospital and Schulich Medical and Dental School.

It has an appreciable post-doc presence on campus, including a Post Doc association, that genuinely cares for its constituency.

The collaboration among departments and access to a Core facility also greatly facilitates research; access to research networks and associations, conferences and poster presentations for graduate students encourage information sharing and knowledge exchange.
The entire place fosters an atmosphere of collaboration.
Pros
A rich network of research interests, equipment, collaborations and projects
Cons
Virtually no job security; post docs do not receive any benefits, and work conditions/salaries are entirely subjective (depending on PI).
Great school
Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON31 December 2017
Great school - studied geophysics and learned a lot. I worked as a graduate research and teaching assistant for my Master of Science degree. I enjoyed learning from the faculty at the school, especially in the field work courses offered.
Pros
Excellent field work
Cons
Far geographically from my desired employers in oil and gas
Great way to learn and work
Events Management Planning, Western, (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 October 2017
This opportunity among many others is open to students through the work study program at The University of Western Ontario. This program allows for optimal time to work and study at the same place making learning and meeting financial needs the easiest its ever been on students.
Summer job
Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2017
It is a summer job at school. It is nice to work with postgraduate student. Good to know different school area knowledge and enjoy doing experiment with my supervisor.
Pros
nice experience
Cons
summer job - hours limited
Great workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 August 2017
I worked as TA for a linguistics course, and I really enjoyed my experience there. The professor I worked with was very professional and very helpful.
practical and useful academic projects
Structural Academic Projects (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 July 2017
various structural Industrial, Commercial, Residential projects. Experienced Professors. I promote my skills in steel, concrete, wood masonry seismic designs ( challenging projects).
Good people,however bogged down in bureaucracy
Provide administrative support (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 July 2017
Love my boss, however I am stuck in contract work and no end in sight. Excellent training, great atmosphere, the campus is a joy to be on. I wish there was more support for contract workers.
Pros
Working with students is fantastic
Cons
contract work no benefits
work and life balance sucks
Porter (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 June 2017
the balance with work or life is low you ask for time off never find out if you get it or not until the day comes when you show up and they say why are you here job security is ok because they don't hire often management is only around when the big boss comes around other then that they just sit in the office on YouTube or Facebook while you are working hard and then the few times it's slow the boss comes out and says things like why are you not working hard
Great facilities
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 June 2017
Chemistry department is well maintained with high-class facilities, knowledgable and helpful staff and managers, and faculty members who are always trying to help all students out.
Student Leadership Position - Voluntary Work
Vice President of Communications (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 June 2017
The was a student leadership position which I ran for and do not feel should be rated in this format. However, Indeed makes is mandatory and this statement must meet a minimum number of characters.
good place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 April 2017
good place to work, there wasn't much pressure. everyone was smart and able to do their task efficiently. the pay was fair for the job and overall a great place to work.
Fun place to work.
Residence tour guide (Current Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2017
Great place to work. Very flexible for my busy school schedule. Training is very minimum but it is not hard to catch on. Good way to improve speaking skills. 10/10 would recommend.