University of Western Ontario Employee Reviews

Educational Workplace
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 November 2018
The environment within the University is encouraging and overall satisfying. As in any workplace there are thing can be changed - for the most part management is outstanding with some hiccups Being able to engage within the workings of the university is eye-opening and is a great place to start off in within a career in education or administration. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is the process of change !
Pros
Educational
My first job
TOUR GUIDE FOR DELAWARE HALL RESIDENCE (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 October 2018
This was my first 'real' job and I enjoyed it. Speaking to new people every day was fun and so was working on campus- it was convenient mostly. I would gladly have this job again if I could 10/10 recommend.
Best Experience
Senior Honors B.Sc (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 August 2018
I really enjoyed attending this instituation as it provided so much knowledge which I can take with me and apply it to real work situations. Great campus and great people.
Productive creative place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 August 2018
At Western I learned how to organize data base, do scholar research, do experimental research, work to accomplish team goals.

On a normal day I regularly check for tasks to help accomplish lab goals, could be either testing participants or doing general tasks for the lab.
Just begun this job...
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 July 2018
I dont have much to say about this job, I only just begun here not too long ago. It has been a great experience so far. Seems like there is a lot of growth and experiences to be had within the company.
Research and Teaching Assistant
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 July 2018
It is a great place to work. I have been working as a Research and Teaching Assistant for a vary of professors. My lab mattes are friendly and respectful.
A beautiful place and nice people
Statistical Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 May 2018
An open-minded university with nice faculty members and staff. Great recreation center with swimming pool, and have really long opening hours.
Pay for the graduate students is not that good.
Fun but not well managed
Student Helpline Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2018
At student central, there was no clear manager and trainer because employees were trained by senior employees in other departments that did not always know all the protocols for some documents.
great co-op opportunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 May 2018
I gained has on experience on Matlab at the lab, great opportunity to work with graduate students.

Thank you Western for providing this opportunity for students.
Althouse
Student (Former Employee) –  Althouse25 April 2018
100% amazing experience. Very supportive staff. Courses were extremely relevant to actual life in teaching. I thoroughly enjoyed the Social Foundations course and found it to be the most relevant of all!
Briefly worked here but was a positive experience
Residence Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 April 2018
As a student at the university, I only worked at a residence tour guide about 3 times a week for an hour each. It was not a lot of hours but the management was very accommodating
Excellent Post Secondary Institute
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 March 2018
I had the opportunity to work with Lab Managers /research nurses/Clinical managers/Clerical research assistants and project manager. My role was extremely varied and exciting. Everyday I learned new skills and challenges which expanded my knowledge. I had the chance to meet new patients on a constant basis. Beginning of each working day all activities are discussed and the days's roles are allocated as appropriate.
Pros
Working in a University environment was very rewarding
Cons
short term employment
Research assistant
Student, Cell Biology Lab (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 February 2018
Working at the University of Western Ontario as a research assistant in the department of biochemistry was great and a lot of fun! I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone!
Woking was enjoyabel
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2018
I worked as a graduate research and teaching assistant at Western. My supervisor was very cooperative and an environment designed for teaching and learning.
Overeall: Excellent
Excellent workplace for scientific research
Associate Researcher (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 January 2018
Excellent University! Prof. I. Povar is a well-known specialist in the area of modelling and theoretical research of natural aqueous systems, mainly, involving complex chemical reaction equilibria. During 10 years, until 2009, he worked as an associate researcher at the University of Western Ontario, London, Canada, being actively involved in research of chemical kinetics and thermodynamics of reactions in the organic chemistry using various ab initio theoretical techniques, modelling and theoretical research.
ok
Doctoral student (Former Employee) –  london on21 January 2018
The people are pleasant, there is no career advancement, very low pay, management have there own view, workplace is relaxed, too much politics, the weather is bad
University of Western Ontario
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here. The work was interesting and challenging. The environment was stimulating. My colleagues were bright, interesting and supportive. I really enjoyed working with the mix of patrons- staff, colleagues, faculty, students and the public.
Good job but managers talk down to you a bit
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 January 2018
Meetings were quite unorganized and management were not the nicest. The actual work was fun and exciting if you like to teach. Students made it fun and rewarding.
Interesting and collaborative place to work
Legal Research & Instructional Librarian (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2018
Pros
Flexible hours, interesting work, great colleagues
Cons
Lots of committee work
One of the best locations to do a post-doc
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
Western is uniquely positioned at the forefront in health and science research (at least outside of the GTA) due to its partnership with the Western Hospital and Schulich Medical and Dental School.

It has an appreciable post-doc presence on campus, including a Post Doc association, that genuinely cares for its constituency.

The collaboration among departments and access to a Core facility also greatly facilitates research; access to research networks and associations, conferences and poster presentations for graduate students encourage information sharing and knowledge exchange.
The entire place fosters an atmosphere of collaboration.
Pros
A rich network of research interests, equipment, collaborations and projects
Cons
Virtually no job security; post docs do not receive any benefits, and work conditions/salaries are entirely subjective (depending on PI).