University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Great 'problem solving' oriented, bigly competitive, and multicultural University.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 October 2017
Salaries are marginal, but this is general problem of all Universities and Colleges across the Ontario. Working hrs are virtually unlimited, definitively not a 9-5:45 job, but rather long haul mission.

If you love education process, science, debate on any subject this is the place to be !! :)
Pros
Extremely stimulating environment
Cons
Long work hrs, work overload, for marginal salary.
Productive work place with good environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 October 2017
Flexible working hours with the opportunity to upgrade your skills and knowledge. All and all great place for start with student such industrial career.
Fun place to work
Volunteer Server (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 October 2017
Dealing with customer from Environment faculty and having chat with professors and student about everything including study project as well as course content
It was fun
Arts Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 September 2017
I had a great time as an orientation leader, but now I am looking to apply to jobs at the University of Waterloo. Although it wasn't a paying job; more like a volunteering opportunity, thus I am unable to truly do this (apparently must-do) review.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 September 2017
I like the University of waterloo as I was born in Canada in that University. :) I had great time there and I like the city more, and I learnt a lot at the University.
Mostly independent indoor work in the lab or on the computer, with some field excursions. Frequent interaction with the supervisor as an assistant.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2017
Acted as an assistant to the supervisor, and therefore was in frequent communication daily with this person. Performed a variety of tasks in the lab and did a lot of work on data management. Really enjoyed the river water sampling in the region.
Happy Working hours
Residence Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 September 2017
It is my very first time doing a job and I feel very happy to be able to work as a residence ambassador. Through my working hours and my colleagues I learned how to welcome other people and assist them well, how to be punctual, responsible, caring and independent. The environment I work in is great as it is on campus, always surrounded by students, which makes it a very lively place to work in. I enjoy working as an R.A so there's nothing that I find very difficult in the job. In addition, the best part of my job is seeing the visitors getting involved with me while I'm giving them a tour, which makes me feel like I could help them in a way.
Pros
On campus
Productive and Fun Environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2017
Full of challenges and opportunities to study, working with excellent professor and students. Got a lot of new ideas from students in class. Get more skilled at English communication.
it is fine
Research Consultant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 August 2017
I am only part time right now so it's hard for me to finish this, but to give the place stars I guess I have to. The job I currently hold is exactly what I expected it to be.
Great atmosphere!
Computer Technician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 August 2017
Moving around all the labs and computers was hard work but having great coworkers really helped the experience and i had learned a lot throughout the month i was employed.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Youngest there
Great university for Tech
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 August 2017
Tons of flexibility. Depending on the professor you get to manage your own timelines and decide what projects you want to work on. Very well known in Tech circles.
Very friendly and accommodating
Convocation Usher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 August 2017
Understanding of need for washroom and coffee breaks and actively engaging with employees to ensure job requirements are fulfilled without issues, and if they arise work with employee to resolve issue
Media Director (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 July 2017
Everyone is very helpful and there is a lot to do in any role. The reward of music is the best reward. It is a passionate job to work for and everyone volunteers.
Research Associate/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 July 2017
A world class university; lots of opportunities to grow. Had a lot of exposure to great researchers and resources. There are opportunities to interact with people from different professional and cultural backgrounds
Pros
A great place to work if you have a good team leader
Cons
As with all academic institutions, professors are not trained to be managers
I like being a post-doc, except for the uncertainty
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 July 2017
Every post-doc is different, so this is not really useful, but I'm enjoying my time here. I have a good working relationship with my PI and the other people in the lab, and I get to travel and work on my own projects with considerable freedom.
Pros
Freedom to work when and how I want
Cons
Short-term contract with hard departure date
Mover (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 July 2017
Interesting employment opportunity working in a lab. Got to see interesting things, moved stuff around, met professors, emptied bottles and had a lot of fun
Volunteer research assistant (CS)
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 June 2017
Very friendly environment; even professors are often not as intimidating as they would seem. Volunteering was an excellent learning opportunity, letting me build on programming experience while contributing to a research project.
Decent Workplace
Research Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 June 2017
I was a research technician for our of their professors. It was a small lab with few members so it was easy to get along with everyone, although it may vary among other labs.
good place to do research
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Wellington13 June 2017
no bad, just researching. The work life balance is just similar to other universities around world. The professors at this university is pretty good, not so much pressure.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 June 2017
Good place to work for students good management. Overall experience was relatively good had a good time working here. Coworkers were inviting, boss was willing to teach and open to listening to employees.
Pros
Work environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5