University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Canada420 reviews

universityprofessorstudentuwcoopstudylabteaching

Great Place

Great place would recommend. Some opportunity for advancement as well and it has a good work life balance. Benefits are nice as well and pension is good too.

Good place to work, environment is interesting

Overall a great place to work. My manager is wonderful, the pay is good and the benefits are decent (could be better and include vision care). The work is interesting and there's lots of change.

Pros

autonomy, pay, benefits, vacation

Cons

could have a better benefits package, currently no vision care

Insights into University of Waterloo

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Work and life, well balanced

No need to work after 4 or 5 pm mostly.Start at 8:30 or 9 am and have a lunch break for an hourVery good environment to work The city is okay to live, close to Toronto

Pros

fixed time

Cons

not sure

very low work morals nobody cares

supervisors and managers are useless, they do not care about nothing, very lazy individuals that bring down work moral, there are good workers but mostly lazy complain about everything, very poor management very poor supervisors and very very very poor work ethic

Pros

do nothing all day, no one cares

Cons

supervisors are useless, pay sucks

Pretty good

Can't really complain much. Fellow staff are nice, the students just come to buy what they need. Flexible hours and shifts, good job to earn a bit of money on the side.

Exciting and growing educational experience

Waterloo is a good employer to work for, the university is full of talented and passionate students and educators. Lots of opportunities for students and staff. You will find a home with Waterloo when you work here. The place has a huge range of different kinds of work and educational programs.

A little part time job

People in here are mostly nice and it is always good to make some money on your time off.Time is pretty flexible since they know you are students.All you need is treat this work seriously and you will learn a lot.

professional work place

Great place to work with one of the best minds canada has to offer. great research activities to improve your skills. have good resources and world class facilities

Pros

facilities

Cons

nothing

Great incentives and training for employees

Great place to work. Lots of room for advancement. Students are fun to engage with and the campus is very pretty. The senior management is mostly faculty members so they are difficult to engage with.

Stable jobs, fairly good workplace culture

While I only speak for my unit, working for UW is overall positive. There are growth opportunities for sure, but it can take multiple years to progress. Very much a corporate ladder scenario, and wages are not reflective of the amount of work/responsibility staff have. The benefits and vacation time are fairly good. Having a good manager really makes or breaks your daily work life. UW does need to implement more flexible working arrangements as most staff would prefer to work remotely, at least part-time.

Great work opportunities for students

I worked at the athletic facilities during my undergrad. It was great because they understood the demands of student life and provided flexible scheduling. My coworkers were great and it was a lot of fun.

Good work/life balance

Have enough time to spend with family. Hard to find a permanent position but temporary contracts keep you at job for a while. Some management problems.

Technical support review

Pretty good part-time job, there are opportunities for it to be more efficient - less time moving between buildings, people doing double work, but it was a really rewarding experience.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

inconsistent hours

Toxic Work Environment & disregard for worker’s wellbeing and mental health

I had a horrible experience working here. The work environment was extremely toxic, as my supervisors did not train me but expected me to know everything automatically when thrown into my work environment. When I would ask for help, I wouldn’t receive any. As a result, I would have to put extra time into doing work as I had to figure things out myself without and assistance from my supervisor. This caused me to have to take home work over the weekend and have no work/life balance. This took a severe toll on my mental health as I began to hate my place of work and when I asked if they had any mental health support for staff, they said no. Overall awful experience and would not see myself working here ever again. Everything they say about this place not caring about peoples mental health/well-being is true.

Working on campus is a good way to start career

TA is a common job for graduate students and is relatively relaxed and close to your studies. Treat it as "half work half study" and gain more experience.

fun environment, very understanding instructor

good training was provided for meyour satisfaction depends very much on the instructor you work withmine was greatnot all TAs are satisfiedas far as I know, the pay is better than in other universities

Wonderful work culture with supportive leadership.

During my time at UofW I was surrounded by incredibly talented and dedicated people. The leaders were supportive and wonderful. I learned so much during my time there that I have since applied to all of my future jobs.

Collaborative environment

Collaborative environment with lots of neat projects. Can learn lots from peers if willing to put in the time. Difficult to get time with supervisor .

Great people make great workplace!

Great job. Instructors are very supportive. It was temporary so you can't take it for granted unless it is a PhD program. Some of the instructors give you too much freedom, if you can utilize the space, the job gets easier. Otherwise works pile up and tough to meet deadline.

Good

Overall it was a nice experience. I personally like working in education, so I enjoyed that work placement. My supervisor was also helpful. I would say I was satisfied with that position.

Good place for research

People working here are professional researchers; they are very supportive. There are good computational and experimental facilities to have profound research.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement