University of Waterloo
Here to help
Coronavirus update

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Canada367 reviews
It is a perfect workplace for students
As a student, I was able to fit in my work schedule with school. They always provide flexibility and it is important to have as a student.

Furthermore, the management is by far the best I've ever worked for. They are extremely invested in making sure students' experiences are enhanced.
Productive and fast-pase
I work at different food stations such as at Bar burrito, Booster Juice, Pizza, and a grill and steam station. I also work at the cashier and some times at back work too.
Fun place
Overall pays well, but really depends on the type of job you have. As a teaching assistant you don't have regularized work hours. No time off since the jobs are contracted. However, benefits are pretty good and the pay is fair for the kind of work you perform (considering the education level).
Collaborative work environment
A typical day at work involves interacting and managing graduate and undergraduate students, and conducting your own research work. You get the opportunity to work on some fantastic projects.

The pay for a post-doc can vary between departments. If you are an individual with only your own living expense to take care of, the usual $40,000 per annum salary works fine. However, that is not always the case, and therefore the only thing that is unfortunate about a post-doc is the pay is not great for the amount of work you do and the skills you bring to the table.
Good study place
I began my laboratory life from here. I learned how to do experiments and collect data with my team. I learned how to schedule our time to do a different part of the experiments. Excellent experiences for me.
Unhealthy workplace. Toxic culture
The most toxic and unhealthy workplace culture that I've been in to date. Management and supervisors need a serious overhaul to stop the turnover and negative environment.
Great
The University of Waterloo is a great school to go to. It is a hard working, organized, detail oriented and scientifically professional school. Just great.
Large campus but many innovations
I don't typically teach on large campuses and this time I did. It takes a bit more navigation to find appropriate teaching rooms but there are staff willing to help in the process.
Relaxed environment
University of Waterloo is very relaxed as a workplace. All work spaces at University of Waterloo can often get loud suddenly as students leave or enter the buildings in large groups for classes. There are lots of restaurants nearby so planning and attending team events is easy. The work is not challenging and low paid. Ethnic minorities are not very prevalent in leadership positions.
Productive workplace
Since my volunteer position involved only one other individual, our meetings were very flexible and we could both suggest activities to do. It was a good experience overall working as a conversation partner volunteer.
Amazing experience
I really enjoyed working for the University of Waterloo, everyone is really nice and the culture is amazing. I love being part of the Warrior community.
Fun reliable place to work
It was an enjoyable place for student employment in the summer. The faculty was nice and understanding when you needed time off for appointments. All of the employees were nice and friendly.
Massive discrimination in our group
Massive discrimination against non-Canadians. its true that there are many international students/staff here at Uwaterloo, but the reason is profs are paying them much less than a similarly-qualified Canadian.
Fun and Chill
Talking to students, staying current with campus events, you really feel the pulse of the University working here. Great co-workers, nice manager, easiest and best on campus job
Fun place for new employees
they can switch you to subway to shawarma if there is a rush of people you have to learn fast everything. They care about you and give you every possible opportunity that you can explore yourself
competitive workplace
waterloo university is a competitive workplace. however, i like how multi cultural of people and experience. this bring unique experience from all over the place and we can learn a lot from this.
Great experience
I had a great experience working in Waterloo. Cooperative, helpful, and everyone tried to do their best. you would be able to chose to work either based on deadline and pressure or based on your preferred pace.
Fast paced
If you have a great attitude and work ethic the university staff will recognize these qualities and show appreciation. Advancement opportunities and great perks! Great place to work.
Good
Professional team for EPC projects
Good collaboration with other companies

Great reviews from contractors

Experienced and friendly environment

Balanced life and work
collaborative workplace
My team and I were responsible for the successful organization of several academic and social events for graduate students of the chemical engineering department in collaboration with the chemical engineering administrative department
Be Careful, sharks can bite
In the Trades Dept (Union Thank Goodness) there are many barriers and many coworkers that thrive on being Rat Finks, many Trades workers are waiting like a child for Christmas , in this case its the day they can retire.
If anything else the job will fill a hole if you are searching for a better employer or hourly wage, many just quit after one year.