University of Waterloo
Happiness score is 74 out of 100

Working at University of Waterloo: Employee Reviews

Canada408 reviews

universityprofessorstudentuwcoopstudylabteaching

Exciting and growing educational experience

Waterloo is a good employer to work for, the university is full of talented and passionate students and educators. Lots of opportunities for students and staff. You will find a home with Waterloo when you work here. The place has a huge range of different kinds of work and educational programs.

A little part time job

People in here are mostly nice and it is always good to make some money on your time off.Time is pretty flexible since they know you are students.All you need is treat this work seriously and you will learn a lot.

Insights into University of Waterloo

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

professional work place

Great place to work with one of the best minds canada has to offer. great research activities to improve your skills. have good resources and world class facilities

Pros

facilities

Cons

nothing

Great incentives and training for employees

Great place to work. Lots of room for advancement. Students are fun to engage with and the campus is very pretty. The senior management is mostly faculty members so they are difficult to engage with.

Stable jobs, fairly good workplace culture

While I only speak for my unit, working for UW is overall positive. There are growth opportunities for sure, but it can take multiple years to progress. Very much a corporate ladder scenario, and wages are not reflective of the amount of work/responsibility staff have. The benefits and vacation time are fairly good. Having a good manager really makes or breaks your daily work life. UW does need to implement more flexible working arrangements as most staff would prefer to work remotely, at least part-time.

Great work opportunities for students

I worked at the athletic facilities during my undergrad. It was great because they understood the demands of student life and provided flexible scheduling. My coworkers were great and it was a lot of fun.

Good work/life balance

Have enough time to spend with family. Hard to find a permanent position but temporary contracts keep you at job for a while. Some management problems.

Technical support review

Pretty good part-time job, there are opportunities for it to be more efficient - less time moving between buildings, people doing double work, but it was a really rewarding experience.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

inconsistent hours

Toxic Work Environment & disregard for worker’s wellbeing and mental health

I had a horrible experience working here. The work environment was extremely toxic, as my supervisors did not train me but expected me to know everything automatically when thrown into my work environment. When I would ask for help, I wouldn’t receive any. As a result, I would have to put extra time into doing work as I had to figure things out myself without and assistance from my supervisor. This caused me to have to take home work over the weekend and have no work/life balance. This took a severe toll on my mental health as I began to hate my place of work and when I asked if they had any mental health support for staff, they said no. Overall awful experience and would not see myself working here ever again. Everything they say about this place not caring about peoples mental health/well-being is true.

Working on campus is a good way to start career

TA is a common job for graduate students and is relatively relaxed and close to your studies. Treat it as "half work half study" and gain more experience.

fun environment, very understanding instructor

good training was provided for meyour satisfaction depends very much on the instructor you work withmine was greatnot all TAs are satisfiedas far as I know, the pay is better than in other universities

Wonderful work culture with supportive leadership.

During my time at UofW I was surrounded by incredibly talented and dedicated people. The leaders were supportive and wonderful. I learned so much during my time there that I have since applied to all of my future jobs.

Collaborative environment

Collaborative environment with lots of neat projects. Can learn lots from peers if willing to put in the time. Difficult to get time with supervisor .

Great people make great workplace!

Great job. Instructors are very supportive. It was temporary so you can't take it for granted unless it is a PhD program. Some of the instructors give you too much freedom, if you can utilize the space, the job gets easier. Otherwise works pile up and tough to meet deadline.

Good

Overall it was a nice experience. I personally like working in education, so I enjoyed that work placement. My supervisor was also helpful. I would say I was satisfied with that position.

Good place for research

People working here are professional researchers; they are very supportive. There are good computational and experimental facilities to have profound research.

Good Online Co-op Placement

Worked as an Online Learning Assistant helping professors prepare for online courses. The work itself was interesting as we got to use a lot of new programs and do a variety of tasks, but due to the nature of the job being online it felt a bit isolating.

Pros

Flexible working hours (online), Supportive management/supervisor

Cons

Some periods with very little work to do

Shift work for operating engineers is good

Diverse work environment. For the most part shift work is regular routine rounds of the plant and satellite plants. There are various maintenance activities involved and you work independently and as a part of a large team.

Pros

Good premiums for shift work

Cons

Unorganized at times

Great place for doctoral degrees

Your overall happiness depends on your relationship with your supervisors rather than the University itself. Doctoral research positions are one of the most underpaid jobs in the world, it's not any different in Waterloo.

Not good for your mental health

Graduate students beware. The University does not care for your mental health and only cares for how much money they can extract from you to the bitter end. Below wage expectations

Not a bad place to work

The pay is ok, the work life balance is ok. The cost of living is also not very high in Waterloo. The management really depends on luck. Some can be good and some can be really bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Waterloo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement