University of Waterloo

University of Waterloo Employee Reviews

The University was a great place to work with - the pace was a little slow. The workplace culture was very friendly and ready to help when asked. Lots of 1-hour meetings to understand what other groups are working on.
It’s a great company most of all staff are great only issues is some of the people that work in the cleaning department who have been there forever don’t really do their job and don’t treat you fair So my advice is if they talk bad about the staff or other people avoid don’t listen to them and do your job It’s a great company as long as you don’t get caught up in the drama The work is amazing and the students and teachers are very friendly A
My department has many opportunities for graduate students to be teaching assistants and work with undergraduate students in a variety of courses. Professors are wonderful to collaborate with and value your work as a teaching assistant.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for collaboration
Cons
Workload differs greatly between courses
As far as Plant Operations is concerned, unless you have a Trade certificate there is no way to advance yourself. Very slow paced. No accountability. Working hard is frowned upon, along with presenting new ideas to management.No vision care benefits even though school of optometry.
Pros
Pension, benefits, sick leave, time off
Cons
Work environment, communication
I only worked there part time, but if they paid more money for the food services i would of stayed . The people there were very friendly and manager and supervisor were very accommodate to your availability.
Pros
Friendly, benefits good.
Cons
Pay
Willing to work with what I have going on in my personal life. Always making sure I am doing okay, and checking in with me, how work is going and my work related comments.
The people at Waterloo are great however the process and how things are done I can't really say the same. The culture is one that in my opinion is very pretentious, decision makers in the faculty need to take a deep reflection within and evaluate the climate of their working culture at the school.
great place to work, good people and culture. I would work there again if given a chance. Good leadership and staff. offices were clean and lots of support from leadership.
depending on your role, could be fast paced with lots to pay attention to, or could be boring on your own schedule. friendly environment with great staff
We would have meetings each week, determine what to do for each varsity game, attend games and make sure the fan experience was top notch. It was fun to collaborate with others.
As a student, I was able to fit in my work schedule with school. They always provide flexibility and it is important to have as a student. Furthermore, the management is by far the best I've ever worked for. They are extremely invested in making sure students' experiences are enhanced.
I work at different food stations such as at Bar burrito, Booster Juice, Pizza, and a grill and steam station. I also work at the cashier and some times at back work too.
Overall pays well, but really depends on the type of job you have. As a teaching assistant you don't have regularized work hours. No time off since the jobs are contracted. However, benefits are pretty good and the pay is fair for the kind of work you perform (considering the education level).
A typical day at work involves interacting and managing graduate and undergraduate students, and conducting your own research work. You get the opportunity to work on some fantastic projects. The pay for a post-doc can vary between departments. If you are an individual with only your own living expense to take care of, the usual $40,000 per annum salary works fine. However, that is not always the case, and therefore the only thing that is unfortunate about a post-doc is the pay is not great for the amount of work you do and the skills you bring to the table.
I began my laboratory life from here. I learned how to do experiments and collect data with my team. I learned how to schedule our time to do a different part of the experiments. Excellent experiences for me.
The most toxic and unhealthy workplace culture that I've been in to date. Management and supervisors need a serious overhaul to stop the turnover and negative environment.
The University of Waterloo is a great school to go to. It is a hard working, organized, detail oriented and scientifically professional school. Just great.
I don't typically teach on large campuses and this time I did. It takes a bit more navigation to find appropriate teaching rooms but there are staff willing to help in the process.
University of Waterloo is very relaxed as a workplace. All work spaces at University of Waterloo can often get loud suddenly as students leave or enter the buildings in large groups for classes. There are lots of restaurants nearby so planning and attending team events is easy. The work is not challenging and low paid. Ethnic minorities are not very prevalent in leadership positions.
Since my volunteer position involved only one other individual, our meetings were very flexible and we could both suggest activities to do. It was a good experience overall working as a conversation partner volunteer.
I really enjoyed working for the University of Waterloo, everyone is really nice and the culture is amazing. I love being part of the Warrior community.