University of Victoria Pay & Benefits reviews

not so great
Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 January 2019
staffe very friendly. management not fair to others. not well manage and supervisors are dont work as a team for success. wage is low for the type of work tjhat is expected.
Friendly Environment and Great Workspace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 December 2017
A typical day would be spending an hour or two waiting for students to come in and ask me for help. Then I would answer their questions to the best of my ability and make sure they understood.

I learned different ways of thinking and gained a stronger understanding of what I was tutoring.

It was easy to talk to others in the department, the ones who hired me and the ones who helped me with payroll. Everyone was always friendly and excited (many in that department are also professors that have had me before).

Workplace culture does not apply to me because I worked by myself, though if I needed any help at all I was free to ask anyone in the department and they would point me in the right direction. Since I am only a student and did not work more than 5 hours a week generally, I cannot say much for benefits or policies and so on.

The hardest part of the job was giving out the correct information to students who were asking for help, and trying to make it as clear as possible.

My favourite part of the job was helping the students understand something they didn't before. Their excitement or the click in their heads once they get something is one of the best experiences to have.
Very comfortable work environment
Zap copy Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 July 2017
Great place to work and good pay. helps student balance work and school load. Manager was very friendly and ensured we all worked hard but also had a great time coming to work
Pros
discount on food
Great student job
barista/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 June 2017
Any student studying at the university can apply. The hours are extremely flexible. Downside for some is that it's seniority based and so it might be hard to get more hours in the first semester or two. The people are great, the managers are all great. Many outlets to work at.
Pros
Great people, half price lunch
Cons
I don't have cons about the job
good
Sessional Instructor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 June 2017
Positive and professional work place. There are ample sources fro staff and professional development opportunities. The pay is good and and the benefits are great. The facilities are world class with spaces that possess everthing
Good place to work when you are in school
Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 May 2017
I worked in the Student Union Building for 3 years and my supervisors were very understanding of my school schedule. The jobs here pay well for student wages. Overall fun people and good networks between workers in the SUB
Pros
Free coffee
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 May 2015
In Annual Giving, my day typically involved closing various actions in the Raiser's Edge database for the Annual Giving Officer I was working under. Then I would work on the various projects that she and the Coordinator or Manager were working on.

I developed a more advanced skill-set in utilizing Microsoft Office in conjunction with both Raiser's Edge and CampusCall databases, as well as interpersonal relationships within a professional office setting. I also learned about the nuances and challenges of the administrative side of fundraising for the different scholarships and bursaries of a university institution.

Management was solid in the department I was working in. Upper management had/has a great relationship with all levels of responsibility, both interpersonal and communication.

The initial learning curve was rather steep, but once I learned what was needed, it was manageable. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the final projects reach fruition and being informed that our goals had been met by the various philanthropic individuals and businesses we reached out to.
Pros
Culture is great, communication is always wonderful.
Cons
Many different departments
great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  victoria. bc canada9 April 2015
innovative environment, the pressure to succeed, enjoyed the benefits, such as subsidized health insurance for workers, overall, management was kind to its workers, learned a lot from senior colleagues. great experience.
Pros
great work place
Cons
Too cliuey
Union Run
University of Victoria - Cook (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 March 2015
The University is a good place for rate of pay, however if your looking for full time work, this is not the company to work for.
Pros
great hourly wage
Cons
lay off's at reading breaks and summer
Great for experience
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 December 2014
I was able to work flexible hours, and gain great experience.
A diverse and intellectually stimulating environment
Telephone Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 September 2013
The University of Victoria's Center on Aging offered diverse and intellectually stimulating work to their employees. I was personally employed by the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging and my duties included using a research specific program to conduct hour long interviews with volunteers from British Columbia, Alberta, and Manitoba. My coworkers were mostly fellow students of the University of Victoria, but also included many older adults. All of us wanting to be part of a research study that will be used for generations to better the health of our aging population. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable, interviewing an aging population. Many people were cooperative and offered unique and insightful information, yet there were always a few who required special care. I took with me a new perspective on aging, strengthened interpersonal communication skills, and a passion for social justice.
Pros
Interviews, coworkers, work environment, work culture
Cons
short hours, no benefits
exciting , got to watch basketball games, work experience
uvic basketball score keeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 August 2013
Developed great skills in focusing on my work and making sure i did not slip up l. I learned to be one minded to focused on work. Co-worker's were very nice and supportive. The hardest part was to stay focusing while their is many distractions going on. i got to watch basketball being played at high level learning more about the game
Pros
work experince
Cons
low salary, less hours
Respectful work environment, approachable management
Building Service Worker - Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 April 2013
Work is routine, but enjoyable. Supervisors and university managers work together and accept feedback to improve the job results and make the work environment pleasant. Multicultural work environment makes it interesting to get to know coworkers. There is a lot of independence to get the work done and time management is important due to the work load. Overall the workplace is supportive and I would recommend it to those interested in applying for positions.
Pros
Supportive environment, decent salary, excellent benefits
Cons
Routine work, large organization with typical bureaucratic red tape for every decision which has to be made.
lack of encouraging management seems to be the downfall of an otherwise great place to work and live.
Head Cook and Part-Time Manager (Former Employee) –  Bamfield, BC23 March 2013
A typical day would start at 6 am making muffins and preparing breakfast for all students special diets considered as well as ensuring all a balanced diet. Enjoying serving the students and receiving praise for a job well done.These days are but a memory with the great coworkers and good times.Feeding and making the stay of our clients was a perfect balance of work communication and fun. The hardest part was dealing with hard headed new management with ideas of an unneeded change to the point of trying to re invent the wheel. Staff and paying students all powerless to the deteriation of BMSC. I really miss the job the students and all the people I met along the way.I wish I could have stayed but it was too hard to deal with management staff.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
getting harrassed by management
ok place to work for
janitor (Former Employee) –  victoria b.c22 February 2012
the pay was good and most of the staff were fun to be around. some of the supervisiors were nice. I enjoyed my time there. the pollitics there was pretty bad.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not a great place to work