University of Victoria Employee Reviews

not well organized
Office of the Registrar (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 January 2019
could be more structured

gives candid, constructive feedback to team members and, in turn, actively requests feedback from them. a leader in building a strong team spirit and identity. All actions are directed toward the success of the team over their own interests. exhibits a high degree of openness and objectivity to the views of others. has been able to balance the needs of the team with their individual responsibilities
Productive and fun place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 January 2019
very well organized, experienced and good staff and management. Always willing to help and work towards the success of every single member with focus to detail.
not so great
Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 January 2019
staffe very friendly. management not fair to others. not well manage and supervisors are dont work as a team for success. wage is low for the type of work tjhat is expected.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 November 2018
-Learn lots of new laboratory skills
-Able to get feedback from supervisors
-Good working environment
-Mon-Fri hours
-Feel like your research has a purpose
Good School
Academic Experience (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 October 2018
It's a school, not a company. I do not see how my review will ever influence someone in the educational decisions. This is a job board, not a scholarship board.
Flexible, fun, dynamic and diverse
W. Garfield Weston Postdoctoral Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 October 2018
I am postdoctoral research fellowship holder at the Department of Geography. The department has been very generous in supportin me with an academic appointment, office space, and a place in their welcoming and diverse department. I look forward to giving back directly by teaching a course for the department in early 2019.
Great research environment
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC, Canada14 October 2018
Nice city, beautiful university. The university is growing a lot. Lots of new buildings. Great gym, swimming pools. The university has a great basketball team.
Positive Work Environment
Assistant Editor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 October 2018
The University of Victoria (UVic) has a beautiful campus and a positive work culture that promotes a healthy work/life balance. The library staff in the McPherson Library is very supportive.
fun workplace
Junior Vikes Summer Camps Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 September 2018
NO bad experiences working for the university, I was always treated with respect while working and my needs were always looked after. Definitely a good working environment.
Great place to be.
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 August 2018
People are friendly. There is lots of room for advancement. Several different department's, which gives you the opportunity to learn new skills. What more could you want.
Pros
A job
Cons
No free parking
Good workplace, but rife with inefficiencies
Post-doctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 August 2018
The University of Victoria is, overall, a fairly good place to work. However, UVic suffers from several shortcomings such as bureaucratic inefficiencies that hamper how effectively research can be done. This runs contradictory to what a University is supposed to do: create new knowledge.

But, locally in my position, I found my team in the lab made my work enjoyable.
Unprofessional Workplace Lacking Culture and Solidarity
Degrees Catering (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 August 2018
Great values on paper, no sense of actual community in the workplace. Rampant with unprofessionalism and an inability to develop, encourage and retain talent.
Uvic
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 August 2018
Excellent general knowledge of hardware, printers, desktop & portables Proficient with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Frontpage and various other programs relating to “Point of Sale” and Data Analysis
Pros
great environment
Cons
Chief Finance & Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2018
Nice university campus, close to Cadboro Bay and the beach. Good gym facilities, cafeteria, and performing arts auditorium. Accessible walking paths.
Great people and good work
Cashier and General Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 July 2018
An excellent place for students to make some excellent money while perusing their studies. Only real complaint is that it can get boring at times when times are slow, but that's typical for most jobs.
Great place to work as a student.
Usher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 June 2018
Great place to work as a student. I really enjoyed it and it gave lots of benefits towards the student base. I was able to sign-up when I pleased with
Great Hours - Good Experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 April 2018
Working here was great experience. I learned lots about research and managing employees. Got to make my own hours, which made working other jobs more convenient.
enjoyable work experience
Research Member (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 April 2018
The workplace culture is quite relaxed and I learned a lot from here. However, the work experience is highly dependent on the supervisor you work with.
Pros
great lab members
Cons
deadline oriented
Great enviroment
Co-op Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 March 2018
Great place to work, gave me a great entry into a busy administrative setting. Good pay for starting out in a new sector and great people. The campus is beautiful.
good
A phenomenal learning experience!
Research Assistant for the Dean of Humanities (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 March 2018
Doing research for the Dean of the Humanities was a phenomenal experience. I was able to research, study and learn about topics that would normally have to be sought out on a recreational basis.
The text I worked on was later published, with two other authors and the sense of fulfillment still exists today.