University of Victoria Employee Reviews

A place to grow and make life long friends
Resident Assistant Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 October 2017
Being a CL in Uvic posed a great place for me to become a person that understands their impact on their community. It was a place that helped me realize the importance of being a good listener and creating a positive university experience on young incoming freshman.
Satisfactory
Teaching Assistant and Lab leader (4 months) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2017
Being employed at University of Victoria helps to manage work-study balance for the students and gives an opportunity to work with highly knowledgeable professionals.
Houseworker: fairly easygoing workplace with kind but firm management
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 October 2017
The good:

- the management is very friendly and receptive to suggestions on how to improve the workplace.

- the workplace culture is generally supportive; workers and management often look out for one another.

- the work can be physically demanding, but work hours are a bit shorter than the usual 9-5s so it helps balance that aspect out.

- micromanagement is slim; generally you were given a series of tasks for the day and if you followed your list, managers put faith in you and didn't come to micromanage you.

The bad:
- the wage: hourly was barely above minimum wage, which I suppose could be expected of a summer job. This is somewhat mitigated by shift differentials on the weekend, but only marginally so. The pay definitely could be better because...

- the messes you dealt with: granted, our job did not include cleaning washrooms but was limited to the bedding aspect of the residences. HOWEVER, because we dealt with bedding we were sometimes (but not often) exposed to blood, urine, fecal matter and other 'pleasant' things. I feel dealing with these kinds of materials warrants even just a slightly higher wage than what is currently given.
Pros
Reasonable work hours, good management
Cons
Mediocre pay to deal with some frankly disgusting stuff
Busy, growing, innovative and dedicated to community.
Acting Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 October 2017
Focused on Faculty and Staff providing guidance and assistance for a myriad of employment situations. Referencing collective agreements, terms and conditions and University policies and guidelines, a very busy office. Great inter-department connections as well as Union associations. Something to learn and someone new to meet every day. An employer dedicated to community.
Pros
Great connections
Cons
For me, a long commute
Fun and good place to get noticed
Annual Giving Assistant and Creative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 September 2017
Brief stint, enjoyed the atmosphere and progressive work culture.

Great campus everyone is very friendly and opening to help you out in achieving your ultimate goals
Free-lance Academia
Archivist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 August 2017
Work is demanding and opportunities for advancement are not dependent upon good performance. Little infrastructure in place to support employees, though you have a lot of freedom to direct yourself in your work.
Pros
Extended medical
Cons
Does not pay well for the effort required
Excellent
Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 July 2017
Excellent school. Only just started but very good admissions staff and easy to contact. They worked quickly to resolve any issues with my application.
Very comfortable work environment
Zap copy Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 July 2017
Great place to work and good pay. helps student balance work and school load. Manager was very friendly and ensured we all worked hard but also had a great time coming to work
Pros
discount on food
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 June 2017
Was responsible for grading assignments for students. Never encountered any problems with the management. The professors are excellent and help you if you are not familiar with the interface
Great student job
barista/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 June 2017
Any student studying at the university can apply. The hours are extremely flexible. Downside for some is that it's seniority based and so it might be hard to get more hours in the first semester or two. The people are great, the managers are all great. Many outlets to work at.
Pros
Great people, half price lunch
Cons
I don't have cons about the job
good
Sessional Instructor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 June 2017
Positive and professional work place. There are ample sources fro staff and professional development opportunities. The pay is good and and the benefits are great. The facilities are world class with spaces that possess everthing
Good place to work when you are in school
Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 May 2017
I worked in the Student Union Building for 3 years and my supervisors were very understanding of my school schedule. The jobs here pay well for student wages. Overall fun people and good networks between workers in the SUB
Pros
Free coffee
Vibrant office, forest at the doorstep
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 May 2017
Open concept office with lots of pods of desks. I have my own office but it can get noisy as some groups prefer to have standup meetings in their clusters. It’s a big office, employing over 100 people.

Of course it goes without saying that working on campus lends itself to a great work-life balance. It’s easy to head over to CARSA or around the chip trail at lunch.
Great opportunity for new students to meet other students and to become more confident in their University life.
Scorekeeper and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 April 2017
It was a pleasure to be able to work for the University of Victoria and to have the opportunity to grow not only as a student but as an individual while learning key skills from this job. It was a great way to meet other students and community members and to develop acquaintanceships and even friendships with them, especially with co-workers.
Good group of invested individuals
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 April 2017
The EPHE department is full of good people who are genuinely interested in delivering knowledge to the students. There is a bit of a lack of meetings in a structured sense but a very good level of cameraderie.
Great Job
General Worker II (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 February 2017
Staff are very friendly. Great to work with. The students are very polite. I would recommend the job for anybody who is looking for a job.
Beautiful city to live in, to work and study
Research Assistant, Political Science Department (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 November 2016
As R.A I had the opportunity to work in an excellent academic environment with admirable professors and the experience of working for up-to-date research topics was completely satisfying.
Pros
Expansion of the academic network
Cons
It can be hard to work and study at the same time
i love it
Cashier, Server, Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 October 2016
working at Uvic was awesome! everyone is so friendly and they really care about you. The work isn't too hard and the pay is great i would 100% recommend
Being a notetaker with the university
Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 October 2016
Taking notes while being a part of the class really helped me improve my study habits. Over time I began to write more efficiently and effectively when I take notes.
more knowalegde
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 October 2016
Working in Arithmatic algebra of Galois field - GF(3) which is used in many applications, including coding theory, computer algebra systems, information theory, number theory, and puplic-key cryptosystems.