University of Victoria

University of Victoria Employee Reviews

Reducing research stressful life with extra pleasant fun activities while enjoying a professional environment with great international culture and managing all the routines
UVic is a beautiful university but struggles to put its money where is mouth is in terms of divestment, gender equity, and anti-colonial educational offerings.
I do not wish to write a review regarding my experiences working at the University of Victoria. It is a lovely place, and there are lovely people. Thank you.
The university of Victoria is a great work environment and if given the opportunity again, i would definitely take it up. I was able to grow as a person every day.
No chance for advancement or continuing of contract. Need more job security. It was a great job, the pay wasn't good, but the environment was okay, and it didn't matter how good you were or how good the reports were ... no security!
Working for UVIC was great experience doing STEM outreach and getting to inspire younger generations to pursue a carrer or life long learning in sciences
from the UNFS Manager down to the regular employees, ALL were helpful, approachable, friendly environment... good pay and benefits, a lot of opportunities to grow...
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
term employment / seasonal
Overall very much worth it. A great job for my final year at University. The DSC is a valuable addition to UVic that I hope to see flourish and continue for decades. I would recommend anyone with a drive to learn and a passion for technology to apply. Or at the very least attend the last few of my workshops on Arduino.
I conducted research under the supervision of two professors. The work time is flexible and work culture is conductive. I was trusted that I could conduct independent research work, and I met up with supervisors weekly for updates.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
sometimes stressful
Overall a good experience but the pay is not great for the work required and no benefits. I liked the experience but its not for everyone. The students are great and its very hands off re management.
If short term, the place is great. For long term, all I have heard is that the system is unfair. As short-term, if you dont have another job, it is really not a good option, no benefits, no health insurance. It is a temporary type of place
Allows you to prioritize your studies as you work for the University as well. Working in the lab was a positive experience and had great managers who were understanding and happy to be there.
I worked as a volunteer at the English Language project and had a good time until they stopped paying for parking and finding a parking spot became very difficult. Also the teacher in charge demanded that I work three hours straight after I had been volunteering for over six months. I am still on their list but have not returned since November 2019.
The computing department is wonderful place to work. Very relaxed with a full troubleshooting database. They pay was not enough to live in Victoria, but as a part-time job with Student Loans it was manageable. Everyone is very nice and scheduling is flexible. Often, if there was no one to help we were allowed to study for our classes.
Academia is still a tough place for women I don’t recommend UVic due to this reason it’s a nepotistic culture and pay isn’t great but worst of all it’s a boys club
Fun, relaxing, nice. One of the nicest coworkers in Victoria, and I do recommend working there but always be careful when it comes to your salary, you have to tell them to pay you well.
Uvic was a great place to work. great people some lifelong friends there. The work was seasonal for me but paid well, with benefits. Monday to Friday and very accommodating to schedule needs.
Ensure that you and your supervisor are a good match. I was lucky and got along very well with my supervisor, but I have heard of the opposite situation and it's not good for anyone.
Expanding and diverse projects with lots of opportunities to meet new people and explore relevant skills. The research opportunities at UVIC are endless and have great initiative and people supporting the ideas.
It is a nice place to learn new things and be responsible. Good people and flexible working hours.
There were some wonderful aspects of working for this employer. The vacation days off, the friendly co-workers and all the green spaces on campus. On the flip side, it was also a disappointment working for this employer. Management did not support employee career development. The wage increases never kept up with the cost of living under the Cupe collective agreement. That was not just a cupe issue it was a university administrative issue that they created.