University of Victoria
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

University of Victoria Employee Reviews

Canada148 reviews

Awesome place to work

Work load is non stressful and adequate. I have learned a lot about my job and other people from my department. workplace is very professional and fun. management is supportive and understanding about personal needs.

Worse place I've ever been employed

Horrible nepotism. If you aren't a child of an employee or married to one... forget it. The management skills are questionable. They shift people who are unfit to supervise from one area to another. And God help you if you tell the truth.

Insights into University of Victoria

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Supportive environment

Horrific Supervisor in Sciences

Supervisor would frequently berate me for making a mistake. Nice in person, however they could be very nasty on email. Instead of mentoring and helping guide and teach they just left you without guidance. I had to set up my own times to meet with them instead of them making time for their student.

Good diversity and inclusion

Worked as a TA here. The professors and program directors are very nice and value students' contributions. The pay and scholarships are enough for supporting ourselves.

Recruitment/retention below par

UVic pays below national standard.Do little to retain or encourage retention of staff once recruited.Pride selves on being budget minded but one of only universities in Canada that doesn't allow staff to audit courses or have lower rates to take academic or continuing ed courses.Has great Business school but HR practices are stuck in the dark ages.

Pros

Nice campus

Cons

Poor pay, poor incentives

Good place to start your career ,very well connected faculty .Inclusive and fair pay (higher then Canadian average but in-line with average in Victoria ,BC).

High workload, Low pay

No impressed at all, the workload is high and pay is low. If I want, my workload can keep me busy all day seven days a week. Avoid this place if you can.

Good team work and fun

Work together to complete tasks, very easy going work environment as long as you complete your work on time. The campus is very environmentally friendly with composting. All staff and faculty are very friendly and a great learning environment.

Pros

$12 per day spending allowance for food

Cons

Gossip

Nothing good to said UVIC don't care about employee .

Typical day at work is check whit the supervisor ,getting the duty's of the day plus the people who call sick because they don't want to work there any more , hardest day is every day

Pros

more work

Cons

more work supervisor looking over your shourders

Depressing place to work.

Don't apply to work there. Very poor management. Put no effort into their jobs. New menu this year was flipping lunch and dinner proteins.... but to lazy to also flip starches to match ... hence deep fried fish not served with fries!

Pay

The pay is not competitive Union; they don’t help youYou don’t get paid sick daysYou don’t have any benefitsIt’s just an overall poor environment

many years

many years spent here strugglinghad more than enoughlike the teachersgoodbyesI got an A in computer science 100.I loved environmental studies.I smashed a keyboard in the geomatics lab.goodbyes xoxoxo

Good learning

Provides a great place for learning and is a good place for students looking to gain more laboratory experience. Lots of interesting research happening in all departments.

A lovely campus but all else falls short

UVic is a beautiful university but struggles to put its money where is mouth is in terms of divestment, gender equity, and anti-colonial educational offerings.

Great place to visit

I do not wish to write a review regarding my experiences working at the University of Victoria. It is a lovely place, and there are lovely people. Thank you.

Fun with exercise and since tour

Reducing research stressful life with extra pleasant fun activities while enjoying a professional environment with great international culture and managing all the routines

They were very welcoming

The university of Victoria is a great work environment and if given the opportunity again, i would definitely take it up. I was able to grow as a person every day.

no future :(

No chance for advancement or continuing of contract. Need more job security. It was a great job, the pay wasn't good, but the environment was okay, and it didn't matter how good you were or how good the reports were ... no security!

Great experience

Working for UVIC was great experience doing STEM outreach and getting to inspire younger generations to pursue a carrer or life long learning in sciences

100% Good working environment

from the UNFS Manager down to the regular employees, ALL were helpful, approachable, friendly environment... good pay and benefits, a lot of opportunities to grow...

Pros

good pay and benefits

Cons

term employment / seasonal

Academically driven workplace seeking people passionate about teaching and technology

Overall very much worth it. A great job for my final year at University. The DSC is a valuable addition to UVic that I hope to see flourish and continue for decades. I would recommend anyone with a drive to learn and a passion for technology to apply. Or at the very least attend the last few of my workshops on Arduino.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Victoria. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Victoria with

University of Victoria reviews by location

Learn about University of Victoria in popular locations