University of Victoria Employee Reviews

Avoid if you are in the trades
Painter (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 January 2018
The management treats employees like this is the only place in town to work. The managers will say anything to get you there like promising you that they have lots of work and telling you they will be posting full time jobs in the near future . They will then lay you off before Christmas so that they don't have to pay you for the few days in between Christmas and New Years that the university is closed. Then they finally post the jobs a full 7 months later and you get passed over for the shop brown noser. Your time is better used looking elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Great place for brown nosers
Cons
Your disposable to them
Fun atmosphere
General Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 January 2018
I had a great time working for University of Victoria food services. They are a great bunch of people to work for. The supervising staff was always super friendly and easy to talk to.
Friendly Environment and Great Workspace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 December 2017
A typical day would be spending an hour or two waiting for students to come in and ask me for help. Then I would answer their questions to the best of my ability and make sure they understood.

I learned different ways of thinking and gained a stronger understanding of what I was tutoring.

It was easy to talk to others in the department, the ones who hired me and the ones who helped me with payroll. Everyone was always friendly and excited (many in that department are also professors that have had me before).

Workplace culture does not apply to me because I worked by myself, though if I needed any help at all I was free to ask anyone in the department and they would point me in the right direction. Since I am only a student and did not work more than 5 hours a week generally, I cannot say much for benefits or policies and so on.

The hardest part of the job was giving out the correct information to students who were asking for help, and trying to make it as clear as possible.

My favourite part of the job was helping the students understand something they didn't before. Their excitement or the click in their heads once they get something is one of the best experiences to have.
productive and fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 October 2017
I like working at Uvic. It is the best place I have ever worked in. Colleagues are usually students which makes the workplace more fun. There are people from different countries and you get to know different cultures as well.
A place to grow and make life long friends
Resident Assistant Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 October 2017
Being a CL in Uvic posed a great place for me to become a person that understands their impact on their community. It was a place that helped me realize the importance of being a good listener and creating a positive university experience on young incoming freshman.
Satisfactory
Teaching Assistant and Lab leader (4 months) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2017
Being employed at University of Victoria helps to manage work-study balance for the students and gives an opportunity to work with highly knowledgeable professionals.
Houseworker: fairly easygoing workplace with kind but firm management
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 October 2017
The good:

- the management is very friendly and receptive to suggestions on how to improve the workplace.

- the workplace culture is generally supportive; workers and management often look out for one another.

- the work can be physically demanding, but work hours are a bit shorter than the usual 9-5s so it helps balance that aspect out.

- micromanagement is slim; generally you were given a series of tasks for the day and if you followed your list, managers put faith in you and didn't come to micromanage you.

The bad:
- the wage: hourly was barely above minimum wage, which I suppose could be expected of a summer job. This is somewhat mitigated by shift differentials on the weekend, but only marginally so. The pay definitely could be better because...

- the messes you dealt with: granted, our job did not include cleaning washrooms but was limited to the bedding aspect of the residences. HOWEVER, because we dealt with bedding we were sometimes (but not often) exposed to blood, urine, fecal matter and other 'pleasant' things. I feel dealing with these kinds of materials warrants even just a slightly higher wage than what is currently given.
Pros
Reasonable work hours, good management
Cons
Mediocre pay to deal with some frankly disgusting stuff
Busy, growing, innovative and dedicated to community.
Acting Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 October 2017
Focused on Faculty and Staff providing guidance and assistance for a myriad of employment situations. Referencing collective agreements, terms and conditions and University policies and guidelines, a very busy office. Great inter-department connections as well as Union associations. Something to learn and someone new to meet every day. An employer dedicated to community.
Pros
Great connections
Cons
For me, a long commute
Fun and good place to get noticed
Annual Giving Assistant and Creative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 September 2017
Brief stint, enjoyed the atmosphere and progressive work culture.

Great campus everyone is very friendly and opening to help you out in achieving your ultimate goals
Free-lance Academia
Archivist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 August 2017
Work is demanding and opportunities for advancement are not dependent upon good performance. Little infrastructure in place to support employees, though you have a lot of freedom to direct yourself in your work.
Pros
Extended medical
Cons
Does not pay well for the effort required
Excellent
Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 July 2017
Excellent school. Only just started but very good admissions staff and easy to contact. They worked quickly to resolve any issues with my application.
Very comfortable work environment
Zap copy Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 July 2017
Great place to work and good pay. helps student balance work and school load. Manager was very friendly and ensured we all worked hard but also had a great time coming to work
Pros
discount on food
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 June 2017
Was responsible for grading assignments for students. Never encountered any problems with the management. The professors are excellent and help you if you are not familiar with the interface
Great student job
barista/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 June 2017
Any student studying at the university can apply. The hours are extremely flexible. Downside for some is that it's seniority based and so it might be hard to get more hours in the first semester or two. The people are great, the managers are all great. Many outlets to work at.
Pros
Great people, half price lunch
Cons
I don't have cons about the job
good
Sessional Instructor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 June 2017
Positive and professional work place. There are ample sources fro staff and professional development opportunities. The pay is good and and the benefits are great. The facilities are world class with spaces that possess everthing
Good place to work when you are in school
Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 May 2017
I worked in the Student Union Building for 3 years and my supervisors were very understanding of my school schedule. The jobs here pay well for student wages. Overall fun people and good networks between workers in the SUB
Pros
Free coffee
Vibrant office, forest at the doorstep
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 May 2017
Open concept office with lots of pods of desks. I have my own office but it can get noisy as some groups prefer to have standup meetings in their clusters. It’s a big office, employing over 100 people.

Of course it goes without saying that working on campus lends itself to a great work-life balance. It’s easy to head over to CARSA or around the chip trail at lunch.
Great opportunity for new students to meet other students and to become more confident in their University life.
Scorekeeper and Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 April 2017
It was a pleasure to be able to work for the University of Victoria and to have the opportunity to grow not only as a student but as an individual while learning key skills from this job. It was a great way to meet other students and community members and to develop acquaintanceships and even friendships with them, especially with co-workers.
Good group of invested individuals
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 April 2017
The EPHE department is full of good people who are genuinely interested in delivering knowledge to the students. There is a bit of a lack of meetings in a structured sense but a very good level of cameraderie.
Great Job
General Worker II (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 February 2017
Staff are very friendly. Great to work with. The students are very polite. I would recommend the job for anybody who is looking for a job.