University of Victoria Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Junior Vikes Summer Camps Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 September 2018
NO bad experiences working for the university, I was always treated with respect while working and my needs were always looked after. Definitely a good working environment.
Good workplace, but rife with inefficiencies
Post-doctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 August 2018
The University of Victoria is, overall, a fairly good place to work. However, UVic suffers from several shortcomings such as bureaucratic inefficiencies that hamper how effectively research can be done. This runs contradictory to what a University is supposed to do: create new knowledge.

But, locally in my position, I found my team in the lab made my work enjoyable.
Unprofessional Workplace Lacking Culture and Solidarity
Degrees Catering (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 August 2018
Great values on paper, no sense of actual community in the workplace. Rampant with unprofessionalism and an inability to develop, encourage and retain talent.
Uvic
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 August 2018
Excellent general knowledge of hardware, printers, desktop & portables Proficient with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Frontpage and various other programs relating to “Point of Sale” and Data Analysis
Pros
great environment
Cons
Chief Finance & Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2018
Nice university campus, close to Cadboro Bay and the beach. Good gym facilities, cafeteria, and performing arts auditorium. Accessible walking paths.
Great people and good work
Cashier and General Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 July 2018
An excellent place for students to make some excellent money while perusing their studies. Only real complaint is that it can get boring at times when times are slow, but that's typical for most jobs.
Great place to work as a student.
Usher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 June 2018
Great place to work as a student. I really enjoyed it and it gave lots of benefits towards the student base. I was able to sign-up when I pleased with
Great Hours - Good Experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 April 2018
Working here was great experience. I learned lots about research and managing employees. Got to make my own hours, which made working other jobs more convenient.
enjoyable work experience
Research Member (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 April 2018
The workplace culture is quite relaxed and I learned a lot from here. However, the work experience is highly dependent on the supervisor you work with.
Pros
great lab members
Cons
deadline oriented
Great enviroment
Co-op Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 March 2018
Great place to work, gave me a great entry into a busy administrative setting. Good pay for starting out in a new sector and great people. The campus is beautiful.
good
A phenomenal learning experience!
Research Assistant for the Dean of Humanities (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 March 2018
Doing research for the Dean of the Humanities was a phenomenal experience. I was able to research, study and learn about topics that would normally have to be sought out on a recreational basis.
The text I worked on was later published, with two other authors and the sense of fulfillment still exists today.
Nice working environment
Campus Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 March 2018
It's always nice to work for school when you are a student. Decent pay and easy task for you to do. Just walking through the campus and talking to people are really nice.
good
Dishwasher/Cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 February 2018
Great for students at University of Victoria who are just passing through.

Management could be better.

Pay is excellent for what the jobs are.

Advancement opportunities.
Fun and innovative workplace
Crystal Growth RA (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 January 2018
Learned many things on the job and was able to work flexible hours . The people were great and the management was friendly and helpful. Excellent resources at Uvic to complete tasks.
Avoid if you are in the trades
Painter (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 January 2018
The management treats employees like this is the only place in town to work. The managers will say anything to get you there like promising you that they have lots of work and telling you they will be posting full time jobs in the near future . They will then lay you off before Christmas so that they don't have to pay you for the few days in between Christmas and New Years that the university is closed. Then they finally post the jobs a full 7 months later and you get passed over for the shop brown noser. Your time is better used looking elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Great place for brown nosers
Cons
Your disposable to them
Fun atmosphere
General Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 January 2018
I had a great time working for University of Victoria food services. They are a great bunch of people to work for. The supervising staff was always super friendly and easy to talk to.
Friendly Environment and Great Workspace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 December 2017
A typical day would be spending an hour or two waiting for students to come in and ask me for help. Then I would answer their questions to the best of my ability and make sure they understood.

I learned different ways of thinking and gained a stronger understanding of what I was tutoring.

It was easy to talk to others in the department, the ones who hired me and the ones who helped me with payroll. Everyone was always friendly and excited (many in that department are also professors that have had me before).

Workplace culture does not apply to me because I worked by myself, though if I needed any help at all I was free to ask anyone in the department and they would point me in the right direction. Since I am only a student and did not work more than 5 hours a week generally, I cannot say much for benefits or policies and so on.

The hardest part of the job was giving out the correct information to students who were asking for help, and trying to make it as clear as possible.

My favourite part of the job was helping the students understand something they didn't before. Their excitement or the click in their heads once they get something is one of the best experiences to have.
productive and fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 October 2017
I like working at Uvic. It is the best place I have ever worked in. Colleagues are usually students which makes the workplace more fun. There are people from different countries and you get to know different cultures as well.
A place to grow and make life long friends
Resident Assistant Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 October 2017
Being a CL in Uvic posed a great place for me to become a person that understands their impact on their community. It was a place that helped me realize the importance of being a good listener and creating a positive university experience on young incoming freshman.
Satisfactory
Teaching Assistant and Lab leader (4 months) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2017
Being employed at University of Victoria helps to manage work-study balance for the students and gives an opportunity to work with highly knowledgeable professionals.