University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Not so Great
NSERC Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
No real benefits for post-docs, lowly paid, no professional advancement. Stressful work culture. Other universities are better in terms of benefits and overall improvement in post-doctoral experience.
Very fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2018
very fun, good management, lots of career advancements. i loved working here since work life balance was superb and i had lots of fun with my co-workers.
Great worklife balance
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
UofT is a great place to work. There are many opportunities for growth along with great benefits and competitive salary. I recommend working for The University of Toronto.
Fairly good work environment
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2018
Good learning experience but there is no room to grow within this organization. Simply hired as a contract, to get work done seasonly.

I have learned a great deal and it is a good place to work for your first job!
A fantastic place to work at, there is alway something new to learn.
Budget Support Officer (Arts and Science (Current Employee) –  Toronto8 March 2018
Excellent employer. Great benefits such as the defined pension contribution, tuition reimbursement for dependant children and self (though capped), vacation days, professional development courses offered in-house at ODLC etc. There is always something new to learn.

However, in my opinion, UofT adopted policies and structure that hinders career growth rather than encourage it.

Overall, a fantastic place to work at.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Restrictive human resource policies and structure which greatly slows down career growth.
Good place to learn a big kitchen volume.. team work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
Great place to work with a very professional team of coworkers and fare management. Gives you an idea and feeling that you belong to something big and valuable. You feel safe and secure.
Pros
No need to worry about your lunch
good work place
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
get to meet lot of different kind of people and that helped me to gain knowledge about different people and their different nature.
helpful people and always ready to help me out with the resistance i face
Scientific
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
Research comprises "creative and systematic work undertaken to increase the stock of knowledge, including knowledge of humans, culture and society, and the use of this stock of knowledge to devise new applications."[1] It is used to establish or confirm facts, reaffirm the results of previous work, solve new or existing problems, support theorems, or develop new theories. A research project may also be an expansion on past work in the field. Research projects can be used to develop further knowledge on a topic, or in the example of a school research project, they can be used to further a student's research prowess to prepare them for future jobs or reports. To test the validity of instruments, procedures, or experiments, research may replicate elements of prior projects or the project as a whole.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
N/a
Stable but boring job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job: remotely work
The hardest part of the job: intensive working hour during exam period
Professional workplace culture
A great place to work
Assistant to the Registrar (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2018
Worked for the former registrar who made a truly comfortable and equitable work environment, despite the influence of some external office politics that at times, made for some unpleasant situations.
Cons
Office Politics
Great experience
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 February 2018
It provides you with great flexibility as well as a decent payroll, great way to kick-start your personal training career. I had a great experience with my coworkers as well as managers and have developed an on-going relationships with them.
It was volunteer job
WCSA Equity Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
This was volunteer job. I still work here. The community is a great one but you do a lot of work for free. Its not based on getting hired. It is a great experience overall though.
Large university with many opportunities
Learning Specialist, Faculty of Information (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
The University of Toronto Libraries offers many opportunities, but they are highly sought after, and therefore the job applications are extremely competitive.
Excellent place to start
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2018
I worked at UofT as a Teaching Assistant in Chemistry. A typical day includes coming up with a lesson plan, tutorial on the subject matter or laboratory tutorials and also includes grading lab reports and tests.
A quality education
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2018
I found my experience extremely rewarding by maintaining a mindset of always keeping up with the work, not slacking off and starting all assignments well in advance. Focusing on school work early gave me a lot of opportunities later on and allowed me to get involved in extracurricular activities without worrying about my grades. Finally, many of the professors in the biology department are knowledgeable and helpful if they recognise the students are struggling.
very good place to work
Welder-research assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2018
I worked in the structural labs for 6 tears an loved it there, very laid back atmosphere, was very sad when I was let go because of budget cutbacks- a couple of us were let go, staff and workplace conditions were excellent there.
Pros
shorter hours in the summer with the same pay
Cons
job security based on research grants
Restrictive Department
Executive Assistant/Academic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2018
The feedback before joining U of T was great. However, the department in which I work has a micro manager and doesn't promote learning and autonomy.
No work/life balance
Pros
So far none
Pretty rough.
Chief Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
A great organization for the students. However, with no actual Professors in the Martial Arts. It is a few steps below livable as far as wages go.

I can still teach on weekends and still get 0 dollars. Earn with a machinery operation job, and still teach this beautiful art to good kids.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Extremely poor wages.
Great!
MSK Placement Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2018
Really helpful setting you up with connections and unique placement opportunities on campus and off-campus. Hard work but rewarding. Professors are easily accessible and try to help!
Great place to be
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 January 2018
University of Toronto Scarborough is a great place to work at because of the diversity of the population of both students and faculty. It is a supporting and environment with a lot of potential to grow.