University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Is OK, besides long procedures
Senior Developer contract (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2018
When is urgent they act really effective and fast. Then is not urgent everything is done so it became so.
A typical day includes at least one meeting. Management is fine, as well as workplace culture and overall environment is safe.
Learning experience
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
Great experience, learned from experts. Good environment. Management culture differs in departments, but usually managers are supportive. Working with students was fulfilling.
ADMINISTRATOR/FINANCIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2018
Very work focused environment. Not really amicable to employees with families.

Room for advancement if you work hard.

Management needs improvement
Pros
excellent salary and benefits, easy to upgrade skills
Cons
long hours, lots of pressure
A great place with energetic and helpful students
Assistant invigilator (Former Employee) –  UTSC1 July 2018
I worked under the professor and with other assistant invigilators to monitor the exam hall, handout exams, check ID of each student on the list, assign them numbers on their exam booklets and get their signatures on the attendance sheet. At the end, all exams were collected, counted and arranged in alphabetical or numerical order and returned to the Professor. This job required me to follow instructions clearly, be trustworthy and to respect confidential and secure information. It also required a responsible, trustworthy and a punctual individual.

The other invigilators I have worked with at this university were from different cultures and backgrounds which made it a unique place to work at.
International Student mentor
Community Health Liaison (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 October 2018
At typical day at work included interaction with students requiring help at the front desk meeting with manager to go over expected goals for the day and planning events for international students. I have learned how to outreach and put together event planning logistics. Workplace was very friendly and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this position and the funnest part was hosting events, the hardest part was ensuring that the attendees of these events were fully engaged.
Giving Back to the Community while Reviewing for Class
AccessAbility Resource Centre Volunteer Notetaker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 June 2018
This position is a chance for you to give people with special accommodations a chance to stay afloat in class, while giving you the ability to review class notes while getting volunteer hours and a certificate of recognition at the end of the semester. You will also be granted letters of recommendations should you need them - simply ask!

This position does not really take time out of your day, since you can take your notes for class and then upload them straight to the AccessAbility Resource Centre database. It is a good way to study your notes as well as help other people with special needs review course concepts that they have trouble with.

Management is very prompt, and the main office is accessible. There is always someone available to help you when you go in. Emails are the main form of communication, so check often!
Pros
Review notes, help others, volunteer hours, certificate of recognition, easy access to letters of recommendation
Cons
Requires self-discipline and a regular uploading
Fantastic Place to Work
Information and Instructional Technology Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 December 2018
All employees get lots of support, and the work environment is not as stressful given this is a public institution. The perks of the job are plenty including free food on occasion and activities one can be involved in. The university features a state of the art gym, one of the most renown libraries, and is surrounded by gorgeous forestry to trek through.
Highly competitive but still can have fun
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2018
UofT is ranked no 1 in Canada and the social work program is ranked top 20th in North America. UofT is highly competitive and productive. Working in here can learn a lot from the best.
Avoid drama and go with the flow
University of Toronto Cosplay Club President (Former Employee) –  27 King's College Cir, Toronto, ON M5S15 January 2019
The hardest part of this job when there was drama, and trying to help each person affected caused lots of stress on the exec team.
The most enjoyable was being able to teach and reach out to people who like to cosplay and show them some skills that would be useful.
There is no pay.
Productive with supportive people
Translator and Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2018
So far I enjoy working at this department. As I get to work with different dialects and people through transcriptions/translations.
I get to meet a lot of new students from around the world by working with them online when they send me links to work on.
Pros
non-provided lunch
Cons
casualty
Best place ever
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2018
Very professional and top ranked university.
The best organisation to build your career. Flexible professors and very polite environment to work.
I had a very nice time with my team there.
Pros
good resources
Cons
Good to work with professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2018
It's always nice to communicate with knowledgeable people like professors in UTSC. I had a great time working with them. Sometimes, they will offer me a free lunch or dinner if I work overtime and they are really flexible about the working hours.
Excellent Graduate Education
COURSE INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2018
Overall the university provided me with extensive training that will serve me well in both academic and non-academic settings. This training included experience with qualitative and quantitative methodologies and modes of data analysis as well as a strong theoretical background.
Excellent Institution with good professors
U of T Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2018
The professors are generally very intelligent industry leaders. Classes are well planned and syllabus is typically fully covered.
Tuition is generally very expensive.
Pros
good professors, good people, nice location
Cons
expensive tuition
Great place to work in
Service worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2018
One of the best places I ever worked in. It covers all my needs, very diverse and a place for everyone. Good wages and allows employees to work and save towards their futures.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough hours if you wanted more
Never got paid
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
It was a good experience got to help a professour out. I Organized their paperwork for writing assignments plantar calendar for interviews and called and kept tract of the people that were to be interviewed.
Pros
Organization Is a must
Cons
Dont pay good
fun place
Junior Procurement Officer (Student Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2018
It was a great place to work at. I truly enjoyed my position very much so. It has taught me allot about my career path and made it much easier for me to know what i like in a career.
Grad student/TA/Post doc
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2018
Great employer, the positions I had however meant hard times. From what I can glean from the full time employed and the professors, University of Toronto seems like a pretty good employer.
UofT
Imagery Technician/ Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Great place to work. Very hard to just to get accepted for work. Not many opportunities for those who do not have degrees or diplomas. A lot of out of country hire, increasing the difficulty in hiring residences.
Pros
Great management and great salary and benefits.
Cons
Very difficult getting hired
meh
Strength & Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2018
this was an okay place to work. culture seems off. they try to force that everyone is grinding, try to force employees and peers to fight against each other
Pros
reputation
Cons
unhappy