University of Toronto Pay & Benefits reviews

Good to work with professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2018
It's always nice to communicate with knowledgeable people like professors in UTSC. I had a great time working with them. Sometimes, they will offer me a free lunch or dinner if I work overtime and they are really flexible about the working hours.
Great experience, subpar pay
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 July 2018
Worked as a residence advisor for 2 years at the Scarborough Campus. Great experience overall, slightly challenging if you're also a full-time student (but manageable), and you're compensated with free boarding. However, there's no compensation beyond a free room. This is incredibly unfair, especially compared to all other residences downtown. Granted they are run by campus-specific administration.
Great place to work in
Service worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2018
One of the best places I ever worked in. It covers all my needs, very diverse and a place for everyone. Good wages and allows employees to work and save towards their futures.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough hours if you wanted more
low salary
Post Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2018
working at University of Toronto is a privilege. the work environment is very friendly and academic base. however the salary is too low for highly educated people for living in a expensive city like Toronto.
Pros
academic environment
Cons
very low salary
Hostile employees
Postdoctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2018
Workplace culture is extremely hostile. People are very unhelpful and rude. Bosses are extremely condescending and demotivating. The only plus is flexible work hours.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor workplace culture
Best place ever
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2018
Very professional and top ranked university.
The best organisation to build your career. Flexible professors and very polite environment to work.
I had a very nice time with my team there.
Pros
good resources
Fun workplace
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2018
Staff was welcoming and friendly. However, pay and hours were not flexible as a student.
Would recommend to individuals who are looking for a job at the university
collegial supportive work environment
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
This is an excellent place to work and learn to grow professionally.
The people are intelligent and very supportive. The benefits are excellent and salaries are reasonable.
Pros
people, intellectual resources
Job not as advertised
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga Valley, ON21 April 2018
The Assistant director is very unhelpful. The job advertised was not the job that I thought I was applying for. Lots of problems with old systems that do not interact with each other.
Benefits
Cons
Travel
good workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 March 2018
good work hours. good salary with increases. opportunities for advancement. they really want you to do well. there is some nepotism at university of toronto.
Not so Great
NSERC Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
No real benefits for post-docs, lowly paid, no professional advancement. Stressful work culture. Other universities are better in terms of benefits and overall improvement in post-doctoral experience.
Great worklife balance
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
UofT is a great place to work. There are many opportunities for growth along with great benefits and competitive salary. I recommend working for The University of Toronto.
A fantastic place to work at, there is alway something new to learn.
Budget Support Officer (Arts and Science (Current Employee) –  Toronto8 March 2018
Excellent employer. Great benefits such as the defined pension contribution, tuition reimbursement for dependant children and self (though capped), vacation days, professional development courses offered in-house at ODLC etc. There is always something new to learn.

However, in my opinion, UofT adopted policies and structure that hinders career growth rather than encourage it.

Overall, a fantastic place to work at.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Restrictive human resource policies and structure which greatly slows down career growth.
Pretty rough.
Chief Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
A great organization for the students. However, with no actual Professors in the Martial Arts. It is a few steps below livable as far as wages go.

I can still teach on weekends and still get 0 dollars. Earn with a machinery operation job, and still teach this beautiful art to good kids.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Extremely poor wages.
ADMINISTRATOR/FINANCIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2018
Very work focused environment. Not really amicable to employees with families.

Room for advancement if you work hard.

Management needs improvement
Pros
excellent salary and benefits, easy to upgrade skills
Cons
long hours, lots of pressure
Productive and innovative
Research Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
It was a spectacular experience for me as a new-comer to update my professional knowledge and to familiarize with Canadian work environment. Working on mine site was another advantage of working with UOFT.
Pros
dynamic work environment
Cons
low salary
UofT
Imagery Technician/ Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Great place to work. Very hard to just to get accepted for work. Not many opportunities for those who do not have degrees or diplomas. A lot of out of country hire, increasing the difficulty in hiring residences.
Pros
Great management and great salary and benefits.
Cons
Very difficult getting hired
Wonderful volunteer work
Peer Tutor, Management Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2017
Volunteer tutored mentees in first year macro-economics and calculus courses. also, provided counselling support for students that struggle with transitioning to university life including major choosing, house searching, co-op placement seeking. It not only helped others, but also benefits myself, such as improving communication skills and enriching my experience. It is a fantastic job!
Pros
flexible work time
Excellent
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2017
I love University of Toronto, and I had a great time to work here. I have to leave here because as a postdoctoral fellow my salary is low and I decided to leave here to find a higher salary job in industry.
Communications, Education, Mentorship
Communications Specialist/Program Liaison (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2017
One of the best companies to work for. Management is always there for their employees. A lot of support for workers. The benefits are amazing and they offer free courses for employees.
Pros
Free courses, Benefits, Vacation Pay
Cons
You obly get paid once a month