University of Toronto Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Scientific
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
Research comprises "creative and systematic work undertaken to increase the stock of knowledge, including knowledge of humans, culture and society, and the use of this stock of knowledge to devise new applications."[1] It is used to establish or confirm facts, reaffirm the results of previous work, solve new or existing problems, support theorems, or develop new theories. A research project may also be an expansion on past work in the field. Research projects can be used to develop further knowledge on a topic, or in the example of a school research project, they can be used to further a student's research prowess to prepare them for future jobs or reports. To test the validity of instruments, procedures, or experiments, research may replicate elements of prior projects or the project as a whole.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
N/a
Excellent place to start
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2018
I worked at UofT as a Teaching Assistant in Chemistry. A typical day includes coming up with a lesson plan, tutorial on the subject matter or laboratory tutorials and also includes grading lab reports and tests.
very good place to work
Welder-research assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2018
I worked in the structural labs for 6 tears an loved it there, very laid back atmosphere, was very sad when I was let go because of budget cutbacks- a couple of us were let go, staff and workplace conditions were excellent there.
Pros
shorter hours in the summer with the same pay
Cons
job security based on research grants
Great place to be
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 January 2018
University of Toronto Scarborough is a great place to work at because of the diversity of the population of both students and faculty. It is a supporting and environment with a lot of potential to grow.
excellent
Researcher, Teaching Assistant, Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2017
It is one of the toughest university in the world. However, working here helps to learn a lot and improve personal skill. It is a nice place to work. I
Pros
low wadge
Cons
excellent Environment.
Productive and intellectually challenging workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2017
Working with the organization of various specimen, creating virtual endocasts for the purposes of research, and working as a scientific illustrator for publication in academic journals.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Productive and innovative
Research Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
It was a spectacular experience for me as a new-comer to update my professional knowledge and to familiarize with Canadian work environment. Working on mine site was another advantage of working with UOFT.
Pros
dynamic work environment
Cons
low salary
Strong higher learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
The university of Toronto is a great place to study with valuable opportunities. Whether it be extracurricular or a possible internship, the tertiary opportunities to your program of study enrich the experience.
GOod
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2017
U of T is a good starting point for recent grads. many professors hire students in research roles which is a good gateway for further study and work experience.
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2017
Faculty and other staff are friendly, welcoming, and always willing to help with any questions or concerns. The workplace has a great environment and gives endless opportunities to develop new skills and further enhance already acquired skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Tedious at times
Great management, and very organized team
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2017
- Arrive at work, travel to intervieew
- Interviews are organized
- Equipment is ready
- Research lead is organized, accommodating and focused on work
What I did
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2017
I got my MASc. It was fine. My profs were great, very supportive. I had a lot of autonomy and creativity in my work. I still wish I had graduated sooner, though.
Competitive
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  toronto, ontario5 July 2017
Opportunity to improve your teaching and research skills
good professors/supervisors
good location
values diversity
strengthen the theoretical fundamentals
stable place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2017
very good place to work at, interesting, interaction with students and staff. very academic. The salary could have been better. obviously it's a very safe place to work at.
A good place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2017
I started there as a researcher the opportunity to work on new aspect is very inspiring.

quiet and peaceful environment helps to focus on your work.

friendly staffs are always very helpful
Decent summer job, not enough hours
Summer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2017
This was a work-study position. It's great for students who want meaningful work on campus but does not provide nearly enough hours. You can work maximum 12 hours per week but there's a cap on how many hours you can work in total (under 100). Pay is minimum wage + 4% in lieu of vacation.
U of T undergrad RA
Yeast genetics research assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2017
Efficient employer; hard-working people; inspirational environment. Working as an undergraduate research assistant was an outstanding opportunity, and I learned a ton.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2017
I love working here and it is great. I love it. Great organization that is lovely and great and great people and beautiful women there. you have no idea.
It lives up to its reputation.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2017
Lots of great labs and professors, if you do the work and understand the material good grades and a lab position are possible to achieve. Grading is very strict, beware of curve.
Fascinating experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
This school taught me everything I know and aside to giving me the opportunities to connect within my social sphere, it also provided some very unqiue learning experience (i.e. the labs that I volunteered in). It was nice to get to test out the waters in certain roles before committing to them.