University of Toronto Employee Reviews in Scarborough, ON

Great experience, subpar pay
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 July 2018
Worked as a residence advisor for 2 years at the Scarborough Campus. Great experience overall, slightly challenging if you're also a full-time student (but manageable), and you're compensated with free boarding. However, there's no compensation beyond a free room. This is incredibly unfair, especially compared to all other residences downtown. Granted they are run by campus-specific administration.
International Student mentor
Community Health Liaison (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 October 2018
At typical day at work included interaction with students requiring help at the front desk meeting with manager to go over expected goals for the day and planning events for international students. I have learned how to outreach and put together event planning logistics. Workplace was very friendly and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this position and the funnest part was hosting events, the hardest part was ensuring that the attendees of these events were fully engaged.
great experience but temporary
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 June 2018
I had a great time teaching and helping out students with their assignments and understanding of the course. However, it was tough at times with a lot of pressure being exerted from students and managements with many tests and assignments to mark within such a limited time. It was worth the experience at the end.
Strong place for career advancement
Communications Assitant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 May 2018
An environment with supportive coworkers and management that provide space for personal and professional growth. The workplace is filled with creative individuals that appreciate the job.
Good to work with professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2018
It's always nice to communicate with knowledgeable people like professors in UTSC. I had a great time working with them. Sometimes, they will offer me a free lunch or dinner if I work overtime and they are really flexible about the working hours.
Very helpful environmental science faculty
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 July 2018
I worked with a professor on their research. I analyzed and organized data. I was taught how to interpret data and recognize what information is important to the big picture. The professor was very helpful, they always answered my questions and provided me with many resources if I was struggling.
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 April 2018
Helpful people all around. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people and the coworker. The environment itself is very friendly all in all
very good work experience
Financial Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 November 2017
I enjoyed working at U of T Scarborough campus as Financial assistant , I learned a lot in short time. Attended 9 training sessions using SAP system . Workplace culture very friendly , unfortunately it was only for 6 months . I would love to work there again.
Pros
Close to home and, and enjoyed working there
Cons
no cons
Good Workspace
Consultant and Branding (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 March 2017
The University of Toronto is a good and inclusive workspace that I would encourage anyone to apply to. I've learned a great deal about management from seasoned staff and administration, and was also key in teaching me how to balance different portfolios and staff.

Part of my job at U of T was to manage franchises, this involved hiring and firing of staff, budgeting, projections, maintaining assets and protocol with Franchisors. The most difficult aspect of this job could probably be surmised by the sheer amounting moving parts that had to be overseen. But it was worth it, and I learned a great deal from the my supervisors and fellow staff.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
parking
Great place to be
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 January 2018
University of Toronto Scarborough is a great place to work at because of the diversity of the population of both students and faculty. It is a supporting and environment with a lot of potential to grow.
Good work for a graduate student.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 November 2017
This was a good job for a graduate student. The work was relatively helpful in my learning certain topics that were germane to my dissertation project. It was nice to work with students and guide them through complex works of political philosophy.
AccessAbility Services UTSC is a workplace to avoid but other U of T areas are better
Assistant and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 June 2016
Working at AccessAbility was about constantly walking on eggshells because you never knew when something would trigger the directors' insecurities. It was difficult to ask for support because directors would rudely interrupt employees as they are speaking and say NO or reply with some sort of defensive answer. Although they require good experience and qualifications when hiring, they are not actually interested in having you use that expertise because they themselves get easily defensive at that. AccessAbility Services has a leadership with poor communication abilities and high insecurities. Best to pick another department.
Pros
Friendly students, U of T has good reputation
Cons
poor leadership, poor communication, insecurities in leadership
A typical day of work.
Graduate Studies Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 February 2016
A typical day of work as a graduate assistant would be filing papers, doing spreadsheets and doing certain tasks to help out the assistant. I have learned how to improve my time management skills. The most enjoyable part of the job would be researching about a specific assignment that the assistant has assigned me to do.
Great work environment with many tasks to be completed
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 September 2017
There was many tasks to complete during the shift that i worked their. This was a learning oppurtunity that gave me experience and let me look at what university would be like. It was not a job necessarily but we learned many things in the lab like inputing data and working in a tream setting with others.
A lot of work, but fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 November 2017
Typical work day is that you go in, check voicemails (usually over 10 from overnight), send a lot of emails, many being to international students, pick up calls asking for program admin information
Interactive and diverse workplace
President of UTSC Pre-Law Society  (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 May 2013
UTSC Pre-Law Society is a student club at University of Toronto, with the mandate of helping out those interested in going to law school.

As the President, I oversee all Pre-Law events and operations. A typical shift would usually involve me hosting a meeting between executives to make decisions on events, guest speakers, supplies, budget, and other important decisions. I'd then list out the tasks that need to be fulfilled and assign them to each executive. Since I did all the marketing, usually after that I'd advertise our events and the club via a mass email, facebook, twitter, and our school's website (intranet). When needed, I'd read resume, interview, and hire executives.

The hardest part of the job is motivating executives, as many tasks are rather boring and tedious. However, I achieved this by instilling a sense of teamwork within executives, and by rewarding executives with events like "executive appreciation night", where all the executives go to dinner together. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing everything come together at events, and see how much we benefited pre-law students.

I learned how to be a leader who needs to be both authoritative but also friendly with executives, and with pre-law members. I also learned how to interact with various school departments to get the job done.
Creative atmosphere, supportive colleagues
Marketing and Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 June 2017
My time as an intern at UTSC's Department of Communications and Public Affairs was both enjoyable and informative. The team that I worked with were so kind and supportive. I was able to work on different types of assignments - from writing articles to conceptualizing and editing videos for the University's social media pages. It was a creative environment where pitches and suggestions were always welcome.
Pros
Great hours, supportive colleagues
Great team work environment, highly communicative and efficient.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 January 2016
Excellent work environment overall. Highly organized course structures, well managed and efficient. Communication between colleagues is efficient enough to keep work schedule at par. Best part of the job is the delivery of the subject matter in a timely manner. At times when a planned task doesn't meet deadline, it takes a bit of time to get back on track. The most enjoyable part of the course is the actual teaching of subject matter with full enthusiasm and passion and more so when the students whole heartedly appreciate it thanks us.
Pros
Flexible office hours, set your own schedule.
Cons
Tutorial times are too short for some courses.
Its a nice and fun envoirement to work in.
Network Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 February 2013
Its is a good place to work. The benefits are great, for example if you are an employee at UofT then and further education from UofT is compensated. I enjoyed working there.
Good
Junior Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 January 2015
Good People to work with. Excellent environment, possibility for advancement
Pros
Good Environment
Cons
Slow Pace