University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Finance Assistant
Faculty of Music (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2018
I have worked at the University of Toronto for most of my work career. You have the opportunity to constantly learn what you need to know for your job, move up the ranks.
Pros
Learning, family/work balance is encouraged, good benefits
Good to work with professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 August 2018
It's always nice to communicate with knowledgeable people like professors in UTSC. I had a great time working with them. Sometimes, they will offer me a free lunch or dinner if I work overtime and they are really flexible about the working hours.
Teacher's assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
It is a great opportunity for me to work as a teacher's assistant in two courses (economics and statistics). My main responsibilities included hosting TA office hours, pre exam review sessions and proctoring during mid term and final examination.
Highly intense job which enhanced my soft and organization skills
On-site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2018
It was a very stress-intense job which required to be on-call every day. It provided an opportunity to demonstrate my organization and communicative skills with students and various national companies.
Not Good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2018
Not a good place to work at.
I honestly did not enjoy my time there.
I was a seasonal employee and they did not treat me like i was part of the team.

They never called me back.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
horrible discounts
Student employment ok for the money
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
I worked as a Teacher's aid so this was only part time and to supplement my tuition. The professors I worked with were fair and helpful. I did have a good experience with their classes.
great place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 July 2018
great opportunity to work for such a large organization at the university. I got to take part in different workshops in which i grew and further developed my skills.
Great experience, subpar pay
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 July 2018
Worked as a residence advisor for 2 years at the Scarborough Campus. Great experience overall, slightly challenging if you're also a full-time student (but manageable), and you're compensated with free boarding. However, there's no compensation beyond a free room. This is incredibly unfair, especially compared to all other residences downtown. Granted they are run by campus-specific administration.
Fun and casual
Event Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2018
- Help me enhance my customer service skills and patience
- Met a lot of awesome people and co-workers
- Atmosphere was very casual
- Supervisors were very nice and understanding
Pros
Sometimes food is provided
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling
Great place to work in
Service worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2018
One of the best places I ever worked in. It covers all my needs, very diverse and a place for everyone. Good wages and allows employees to work and save towards their futures.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Not enough hours if you wanted more
Adjunct Lecturer - not paid staff
ADJUNCT LECTURER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2018
I truly enjoy the team at School of Rehabilitation Sciences; mine is a volunteer role but would love to continue in a paid role sometime in the future. Look forward to each and every interaction with this team!
Pros
Great collaborative team
great
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2018
Great staff great management, i had a great experiences working in UOFT.the only issue I had was lack of security in extension of my contract, There is no unity between the Union and the supervisor, so my job as a temporary staff was not evaluated fairly and properly.
Very helpful environmental science faculty
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 July 2018
I worked with a professor on their research. I analyzed and organized data. I was taught how to interpret data and recognize what information is important to the big picture. The professor was very helpful, they always answered my questions and provided me with many resources if I was struggling.
A great place with energetic and helpful students
Assistant invigilator (Former Employee) –  UTSC1 July 2018
I worked under the professor and with other assistant invigilators to monitor the exam hall, handout exams, check ID of each student on the list, assign them numbers on their exam booklets and get their signatures on the attendance sheet. At the end, all exams were collected, counted and arranged in alphabetical or numerical order and returned to the Professor. This job required me to follow instructions clearly, be trustworthy and to respect confidential and secure information. It also required a responsible, trustworthy and a punctual individual.

The other invigilators I have worked with at this university were from different cultures and backgrounds which made it a unique place to work at.
Giving Back to the Community while Reviewing for Class
AccessAbility Resource Centre Volunteer Notetaker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 June 2018
This position is a chance for you to give people with special accommodations a chance to stay afloat in class, while giving you the ability to review class notes while getting volunteer hours and a certificate of recognition at the end of the semester. You will also be granted letters of recommendations should you need them - simply ask!

This position does not really take time out of your day, since you can take your notes for class and then upload them straight to the AccessAbility Resource Centre database. It is a good way to study your notes as well as help other people with special needs review course concepts that they have trouble with.

Management is very prompt, and the main office is accessible. There is always someone available to help you when you go in. Emails are the main form of communication, so check often!
Pros
Review notes, help others, volunteer hours, certificate of recognition, easy access to letters of recommendation
Cons
Requires self-discipline and a regular uploading
Professional workplace
Exam Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
I learned how to organize and work well in a team. I improved my public speaking and time management skills. My colleagues were pleasant to work with. Overall, I had an enjoyable experience.
great experience but temporary
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 June 2018
I had a great time teaching and helping out students with their assignments and understanding of the course. However, it was tough at times with a lot of pressure being exerted from students and managements with many tests and assignments to mark within such a limited time. It was worth the experience at the end.
Photography
PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
I enjoyed the work here and had a great time learning new skills
It was a comfortble environment to work in and I learned a lot from the team that I was apart of.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
no guidelines
Very rewarding
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2018
Very intellectually stimulating environment where I had the opportunity to leave an impact on the people I worked with, and they on me. I was hired as a TA without any job training, and had to adapt myself to teach the classes from the start. It went well, and students oftentimes stayed after class to discuss with me. They told me they learned more from me than they did from their own professors.
Amazing learining experience
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2018
Great place, with great professor. The environment is perfect for you to grow personnaly and deepen my knowledge. I have met great people there that helped me a lot. Carreer center is great, with many workshops that hel you be ready to work, to apply to work.
Pros
Classes
Cons
N/a