University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

I found that my job at the University of Toronto was one of the best ones I've had yet. I felt respected and appreciated in every aspect of the job.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No benefits
Good for starting out and they give good opportunities for you to learn new things (depending on your role/department) but it can get mundane quickly. The atmosphere and work environment can be fun though
All depends on what team you work with, the department, the campus, etc. Everything from superb to get out of that department fast.Excellent professional development opportunities
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Work is very flexible and can arrange your own schedule for each week and a long term. Report your progress every two weeks. Can learn a lot of academic knowledge from other coworkers.
Pros
Flexibility and relaxing.
Cons
Long hour
I worked under the German department by helping primary school teachers with teaching their children. My days typically started at 7:30am and finished at about 9:30am (twice a week.)Unfortunately, right before work started, the pay was drastically reduced and the number of hours you're allowed to work suddenly capped. The job itself was fantastic, getting to meet other interns and helping out the children. The lack of professionalism became apparent when they slashed the pay by 40% right after we got accepted for the position, but it was overall a fun experience.
Pros
Making friends and flexible
As a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow, it is relatively easy to get teaching positions in your area of expertise. Once you graduate, any experience you’ve gained counts for very little. Departments would rather hire a new student with zero expertise to save money.
Pros
Good hands-on, trial by fire experience.
Cons
Hard to get course assignments as a non-student/trainee
The University of Toronto (U of T, UToronto, or simply Toronto) is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, situated on the grounds that surround Queen's Park. It was founded by royal charter in 1827 as King's College, the first institution of higher learning in Upper Canada. Originally controlled by the Church of England, the university
Same thing above people are to be choose from the management we can’t have a saying about our job . How the management treat us suppose treat employees with dignity
Pros
Stop to description
Cons
Working for better
A great choice for the students. Highly recommended if you want to pursue a career in the academia, you can collect a lot of experience as a TA or RA.
I worked at UofT as a postdoctoral researcher for 6 years. Zero administrative help. Zero help with career advancement- and I mean, substantial that would make a difference. Power struggles between established professors who are no longer up to date in their research. My supervisor would work 3 or 4 hours a day, coming to work sometimes at 4 pm. No accountability.
Pros
The university reputation
Cons
Upper management takes it for granted and doesn’t care
The University of Toronto is a large post-secondary school. There are quite lots of career opportunities. It is a great workplace especially for students to gain professional experience.
- relaxed setting -set your own hours - very friendly people - Collaborative setting - helpful - I really enjoyed teaching and learnt a lot on the job!
Working for the University of Toronto Mississauga combined both the serious work environment with the fun aspect. I have acquired leadership skills and good communication skills throughout my experience working for them.
UofT is a great employer if you're working in Downtown. Great staff, challenging work and environment. UTSC and Sauga campuses are afterthought for downtown. Personally UTSC is the worst place. Just to get a simplest thing done, you'll be going in circles. Collaboration and team work is a hard find here. Worst out of UTSC is the Health and Wellness Centre. It has been toxic for about 5 years. Previous assistant dean (director) was let go, but new management took the level of toxic to another range. The new manager is a depression patient, so assistant dean runs the show there. Assistant dean has managed to send numerous staff on long term disability, and early retirement. Intimidation tactics, lack of transparency, and lies are normal here. Manager is very incapable, for this reason she was hired by the assistant dean so can be used as a puppet. Avoid this department at any cost. Your life will become miserable in no time.
Some days are very rewarding others are depressing. Demanding and dynamic atmosphere with great management. Must be self-driven and expect long days.
I worked as a Teaching Assistant, so overall good experience, the team handling was good, the pay was also good for a part-time position. I would certainly like to do it again.
the 'job' was more of a research position in a lab. it was not paid. this position is only available to students. i do not know about other positions in the school.
Ph.D. program in the MIE department of UofT is challenging and rewarding at the same time. Working with some of the best professors and researchers in the field was a great opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to learn and grow.
The team is good and helpful and working here is filled with fun and at the same time nice learning curve. I personally had a very good time learning new things.
The hardest part of being a teaching assistant is grading assignments and tests, usually due to the sheer number of assignments and tests that need to be graded in a first year course. Some instructors provide the teaching assistants with a rubric for grading, which is very helpful.
It was a very fun workplace to work. the manager and the supervisor were cool, as long as you have completed your task as required and also while followed all the rules and procedures.