University of Toronto

Insights into University of Toronto

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Timetable depands on different courses

High salary, protected by a union, benefitsSometimes TA's are overworkedUnstable scheduleUnstable workplaceA lot of amazing professors and students to work with

Creative, Practical Application based, industry oriented and for Society purpose

My work is purely based on industry. Lots of scope for improvement of knowledge on the basis of practical problems. Different challenges comes every day and we are fighting to solve that.

Pros

Flexible time, working form home and friendly atmosphere.

Great place for research

Great place for academic research and education. U of T has a wide range of courses and research you can choose from. Pick a major and project that interests you and way to go!

Pros

Diverse research ideas

Cons

Good environment to work and can be fun

Worked as a work-study student during the summer. The process was pretty chill and not much stress. Work hours were manageable while taking a course during the summer.

Teaching Assistant

Good overall experience. Allows room for growth, and opportunities if you can identify them. Lots of great coworkers and interesting projects being worked on.

Great place to work and advance

University of Toronto is one of the best places to work and advance, combined with various opportunities for explore new areas, learn new subjects, and associate with professors and students.

Pros

Great work enviroment

Cons

Nothing I can point to

Benefits and pension are a bonus but generally toxic workplace

Salary, benefits and pension combine to make this a good place to work from a financial perspective. That being said, if you value being heard, recognition for your effort, positive workplace interaction, support from senior administration, work/life balance, etc., look elsewhere. Despite claiming to support work/life balance and flexibility, the university will find whatever loopholes it can to enforce generic policies on all staff regardless of their actual duties. The bottom line for them is getting their international student tuition money. HR screens applicants for specific attributes and does not recognize transferable skills. Heavy emphasis on having a PhD for roles that don't really require it, limiting career growth opportunities for people who have been in the workforce a long time and can't go back to school.

Pros

Good benefits, good pension, decent salary, casual attire

Cons

Lack of career growth, lack of support from HR and senior administration, toxic workplace, no recognition for hard working employees

Very institutional but can grow a career

Once you are able to get a full time permanent job, there is a lot of opportunity for growth and multiple areas of interest. It’s a huge institution so a lot if HR policies and little flexibility sometimes but great benefits and decent market rate pay.

Pros

Benefits, vacation, defined benefit pension

Cons

Hard to get permanent role, slow-moving institution

Did not meet expectations

I left the private sector over 10 years ago to work at UofT for what I thought would be a more progressive employer. I am now looking to move back to the private sector. The University is not a place for career growth or advancement for administrative staff. Staff are overworked and underpaid as jobs are often 're-written' to include more duties for the same pay. Overtime is not properly compensated, yet it is expected to complete work. Each faculty is different but the general consensus is that the bad outweighs the good. There is a lot of talk regarding improvements for staff but not a lot of action. Things move like molasses here, on all fronts. The benefits are good, but I'm learning great benefits can be found elsewhere. I also thought job security would be better in a unionized environment, but I've seen a number of people let go over the years due to 'restructuring'. The union is helpful and well-meaning but seemingly ineffectual versus the very strong central administration and HR departments.

Pros

Good benefits, especially the tuition benefit

Cons

Rigid management, not a lot of flexibility

Great experience as a student and developing researcher

Was a wonderful job in connection with my graduate studies. Had the opportunity to develop and publish some of my own work while contributing to several research projects of the professors I worked with.

Vey fair and enjoyable work place

Amazing supervisor and colleagues. The colleagues and staffs wete very polite and helpful when asked about something. My supervisor was very understanding of me.

Professional environment

I feel comfortable in a professional environment with clear organizational guidelines and goals. I like the structure and strategical planning of how they work on departmental and community research, projects and new initiatives.

Pros

Advanced professional practice.

Cons

Perfectionism.

Great working conditions; Low Salary

UTOR is a premier Canadian university. Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in Canada, but also one of the most expensive. The main drawback of being a postdoc at UTOR is that the salaries are typical of postdocs in less expensive cities, which means not great. But the cost of living is much higher. Also, Canada considers postdocs to be independent contractors, which means no tax breaks. And taxes are high in Canada - you pay about 20 percent more in tax compared to the US. The bottom line is, Toronto is a great town and UTOR is a top notch uni. But you will be living month to month just to survive.

Pros

Friendly people, good work/life balannce

Cons

Low salary; no tax breaks

Ironically, management are incompetent

Despite being a University, senior leaders are all old, and have zero vision for what the University has to do to adapt to current markets. They cling to old ways of doing things, refuse to adapt to new technologies and processes and waste money with inefficient methodologies. The salaries are decent and work life balance is there. The benefits are great. Overall, it would be a great place to work if they fostered a culture of innovation. Instead, they force people that disagree with them out. And they get around the union by "restructuring" positions out. And the union is entirely useless when that happens. Great place to work for "yes" people.

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance and decent salary

Cons

Awful management, archaic processes, no culture of innovation

great place to work, premium location in Toronto. My supervisor supported me to to do the projects I preferred. Teamworking environment also with individual responsibility.

Pros

Great academic environment, work-life balance

Cons

Postdoc pay is quite low

Great environment to work in

I found that my job at the University of Toronto was one of the best ones I've had yet. I felt respected and appreciated in every aspect of the job.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

No benefits

Just an okay workplace

Good for starting out and they give good opportunities for you to learn new things (depending on your role/department) but it can get mundane quickly. The atmosphere and work environment can be fun though

UofT is excellent employer

All depends on what team you work with, the department, the campus, etc. Everything from superb to get out of that department fast.Excellent professional development opportunities

Benefits

Cons

Stress

Reproductive and fun workplace; great teamwork

Work is very flexible and can arrange your own schedule for each week and a long term. Report your progress every two weeks. Can learn a lot of academic knowledge from other coworkers.

Pros

Flexibility and relaxing.

Cons

Long hour

Lots of fun but unprofessional

I worked under the German department by helping primary school teachers with teaching their children. My days typically started at 7:30am and finished at about 9:30am (twice a week.)Unfortunately, right before work started, the pay was drastically reduced and the number of hours you're allowed to work suddenly capped. The job itself was fantastic, getting to meet other interns and helping out the children. The lack of professionalism became apparent when they slashed the pay by 40% right after we got accepted for the position, but it was overall a fun experience.

Pros

Making friends and flexible

Instructed courses while in graduate school

As a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow, it is relatively easy to get teaching positions in your area of expertise. Once you graduate, any experience you’ve gained counts for very little. Departments would rather hire a new student with zero expertise to save money.

Pros

Good hands-on, trial by fire experience.

Cons

Hard to get course assignments as a non-student/trainee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4