University of Toronto

University of Toronto Employee Reviews

Canada826 reviews
Fun working here
The team is good and helpful and working here is filled with fun and at the same time nice learning curve. I personally had a very good time learning new things.
You get a PhD at the end
Ph.D. program in the MIE department of UofT is challenging and rewarding at the same time. Working with some of the best professors and researchers in the field was a great opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to learn and grow.
Teaching is fun, grading is the hardest part.
The hardest part of being a teaching assistant is grading assignments and tests, usually due to the sheer number of assignments and tests that need to be graded in a first year course. Some instructors provide the teaching assistants with a rubric for grading, which is very helpful.
Fun workplace to work
It was a very fun workplace to work. the manager and the supervisor were cool, as long as you have completed your task as required and also while followed all the rules and procedures.
Academic Work Culture
My experience at U of T is varied. Each Faculty acts like a different business that all adhere to the central policies of the university. So the work culture can vary greatly. However, in my experience so far people seem to be on the sensitive side when it comes to approaching issues and topics. Change does not happen quickly and when it does it's a house cleaning. I would highly recommend becoming familiar with policies and getting credentials to work here.
Great place to collaborate with like minded researchers
The Biology Department has a lot of capable researchers who are well known and respected in their fields. It is a difficult and stressful environment at times, but the overall experience is phenomenal.
Excellent place for learning and work
My experience at the University of Toronto was incredible. I learned general dentistry again which gave me sound Knowledge and clinical skills to practice evidence based dentistry in Canada.
Great place and great people
Worked with a close-knit group that supported each other. Very busy times created some stress but overall a manageable workload. The hardest part of the job was dealing with student issues, which can be emotionally draining.
Great workplace
The job definitely had very busy periods at the start and end of term but there was always a warm atmosphere in the office and faculty. I loved working with staff and faculty committed to improving the student experience.
Great People
Excellent research projects. Great people and teamwork

Very relaxed interview between the students

Very busy and quite demanding at times

Great staff, no issues at all
Great place if you're willing to work hard
My particular experience at UofT was, in hindsight, excellent. I think one of the best and most challenging things about UofT is that it's highly competitive. This hump is slightly daunting in the beginning but ultimately the competitive aspect pushes you forward in the long run. UofT is also rich with inter-faculty and inter-organizational collaboration which has the ability to open up an immense number of research possibilities. I couldn't have been happier working and studying there.
Good
University of Toronto is a very nice place to work. People here are generally very friendly. Junior faculties tends to get a lot of support from various sources. Toronto is also a beautiful city to live.
Grad student
I started my master’s degree in a neuroscience lab. My supervisor was verbally abusive, unsupportive, and did not provide me with the training necessary to do my work.
Good job to have while in school
Working as a teaching assistant is a good job to have while in school. I found it manageable and rewarding and the pay was good for a student with many expenses.
Multicultural Workspace
Working as a Ph.D. student and a RA in UofT is not easy; however, the multicultural workspace and collaborative environment help you to feel more comfortable and productive.
Productive work place. Always coming up with New challenges
Good work life culture. A Productive work place. Always coming up with New challenges, which is upbuilding to the staffs. Although there are some staffs reluctant to embrace positive change.
job advancement in the future
Working at uoft is the most rewarding thing happened to me, There's a possible advancement in the job after 2 years.The salary and Benefits are good, also your co-employee.
Pros
1hr lunch break
Cons
starting too early in the morning
Good starter position
Fantastic place to work in general, but salaries are difficult unless you are part of the faculty or research-associate level. It was difficult to move off soft grant-money for covering salaries and onto a permanent situation with the university itself.
Learning experience to last a lifetime
I was able to work with a TA I admired very highly, which made the process even more enjoyable. It allowed me to utilize WestLaw, which I would not have been able to use had it not been for this position.
Fast paced, stressful
it helped me build leadership and team work skills. It was also a good learning experience for me as part of the job was to interact with students of my own program.
Great place to work but HR allows managers to do what they want. Great environment. Great salary. However. they do not life new employees. Most of the Faculity have been there for years.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4