University of Saskatchewan

University of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews

University of Saskatchewan was my vert first workplace in Canada. I could learn a lot of new technologies which greatly increased my abilities and knowledge about the research I was involved in. It was a nice place to work with such talented and passionated people. I highly recommend it!
It is a reputed university and world-class university in Canada. This university provides great knowledge to the students. I think it is one of the best research universities in Canada
Pros
World Class Research
Cons
Good place to work for I worked for University of Saskatchewan as a graduate research assistant in Faculty of Engineering. The professors are night and payment is decent.
I really like everything about it. My typical workday as a Ph.D. student is doing research and running experiments in the lab and on my computer. Starting at 8:30 am, Lunchtime is around 12 and it takes almost 40 minutes and going home around 4:30 pm.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Busy lab and hard to focus
When I started there I loved it. By the time I was done it had destroyed every bit of that. Incompetence was the perfectly acceptable as was every excuse to not make changes for the better.
Was here only briefly in an unpaid role. The campus is amazing and everyone I worked with was amazing. I would highly recommend any opportunity to experience the University of Saskatchewan.
I really enjoyed working in the history department. I learn a lot of new skills and a lot of history about my home community. I was able to bring what I learned here home and it helped us begin our healing journey and to reclaim our identity.
It is a suitable university for researching and learning. All facilities are available for chemistry. Academic members are all responsible for their duties.
The U of S is a very relaxed yet structured environment to work in featuring many skilled and knowledgeable professors and staff. Every department has a semi different culture for the workplace but as many of the staff come from the prairies, and those who do not are influenced by prairie students, everyone has a very down to Earth demeanor that is comforting to work alongside.
Busy office coordinating 3 primary sites for teaching plus two subsidiary sites to video conference students to the college for classes. Very good staff/faculty relationships. Hardest part of the job is adjusting to a new boss/dean every five years. Best part is my co-workers. We support each other through some pretty heavy workloads/situations
Pros
Staff
Cons
Parking is not great
Reasonable workload and payment for the required duties, focused on mostly graduate work, there was a good balance between work and schoolwork and research
Vibrant workplace. Great benefits. Lots of politics and mismanagement. Not as diverse as it should be. Progress is difficult for young "non-local" professionals without "connections".
Benefits
Cons
Traditional hierarchical management
Great atmosphere, good people to work with. Steady hours with time to get off and great benefits. Overall, good place of employment for people wanting to advance.
The University of Saskatchewan is the largest education institution in the province and has the most extensive programming in the region. It is usually a middle of the pack university by Canadian standards.
Highly corrupted Senior Administration. Lots of politics. Most of the faculty members are there to pursue their salary. I do not perceived any ethical maturity from most of the faculty members.
they dont pay very well, training not great. most employees have been there for many years and are set in their ways. Not open to new comers. Great events on campus, poor benefitd beautiful setting once had acces to gyn not they look that away
Pros
beautiful location
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Meeting new people from diverse backgrounds, ever changing, ever learning so empowering. Space to learn and grow with the continuous advancing environment. You can move forward if you choose and you are free to implement new ideas.
Pros
Day off every alternate week
Cons
no parking
There are several ongoing training opportunities, and depending on who your Director is, you could have an amazing direct team experience, too. Friendly stuff
Fun place to work, loved the people who worked the summer position as well HOWEVER. The higher ups are nothing but manipulative and terrible at organizing their staff. Also most other staff members in other departments are constantly out to get others in trouble. anything from taking a water break will be photographed on someones cell phone and sent to the boss and you will be disciplined, still don't know what those people do for work because they seem to do nothing but sit and take pictures of us all day. So again great place to meet people, terrible dysfunctional atmosphere.
Pros
decent pay, the odd free lunch
Cons
terrible atmosphere, constant backstabbing, dysfunctional higher up employees
the work place is good. nice chair and nice desk the colleague are friendly. i learn a lot about Matlab program. I learn some knowledge about electrical current
This used to be a great place to work however years of management upheaval, provincial budget cuts and an ill-prepared shift in the direction of the institution has taken its toll. It will be years before the recent turmoil settles (assuming future decisions are made with more forethought). This is not a well-supported and high-performing place to be at the moment. The post-secondary sector has always been unique, but those looking to join to this institution from private industry should do so with eyes wide open.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Scattershot management