University of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews

fun and productive
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 May 2018
i have been an RA for two years and its been an adventure the only problem is that the pay is low compare to the work you do. i believe that if the pay is increased the job will be worth going for.
Good working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2018
The University of Saskatchewan provides you with the possibility to work on the field that you are interested in, while at the same time acquiring new knowledge.
Great Learning Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 April 2018
A good experience to work. Helping throughout the tenure and guiding through each and every step which gives a feeling for personal attention to almost everyone.
Excellent place to study and learn. Faculty are friendly and helpful. Have time for each student.
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 April 2018
A typical day starts with reading and responding to emails to get what you have to do for the day. Time management is a key part of the research assistant. Good advisory committee to guide you complete your research study. I enjoyed the weekly seminars organized by the department of agriculture and bio-resource.
Pros
Excellent academic environment
Cons
Many homework assignment
great place to work
Taxprep assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 April 2018
I worked as the Taxprep assistant, particularly during the tax season. my duties include organizing volunteers and clients to make sure everything works well.
Academic capitalism trumps public good
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwards School of Business6 April 2018
The so-called "instructional practitioner" designation at the Edwards School of Business (ESB) is very telling. Knowledge is demeaned to "just another market commodity." If present expansions in part-time contingent faculty continues, two-thirds of the "faculty" consists of "adjuncts" hired on poor paying, short-term contracts--to teach off-the-shelf and Web-based material they themselves have not created. What sort of society could conceivably benefit from the replacement of scholars with manufactured employees--each programmed according to pre-packaged content taught them by poorly qualified precarious labour. This new and expanding cadre of administrative bureaucrats have little or no teaching background and, if this trend continues, degrees from the ESB will turn out to be little more than expensive fishing licenses for fished-out lakes, rivers and streams. This increasing infestation of all-administrative universities amounts to a form of "leadership" that--metaphorically--resembles hoards of lemmings playing follow-the-leader over the cliff edge.

The Edwards School of Business is just another business for selling loans.
Pros
The students are great and amazing.
Cons
The administration are accountants, with no teacher training in education.
Work alone from home mostly
Student Assistant, Accounting Department (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 March 2018
It is a good place, although my job is only on a winter term basis but if you were to get employment in another area there are lots of opportunity to grow. They pay good living wages and offer lots of support.

I mark other students assignments so my work is done from home on my computer.
the quality of your experience depends on the department
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 March 2018
Even though most employees are part of a union, it is very difficult to make upper management and executive understand how very uneven the quality of middle management is on campus; it is almost unheard of for a person to be able to build skills and experience to move up from a lower CUPE position to anything higher.
Pros
wonderful environment especially if you want to study here too
Cons
not enough done to gauge the reality of all staff experience on campus
Desirable Workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 March 2018
Learned how to instruct undergraduate students inside lab.
Enjoyed demonstrating the students about labwork.
Enjoyed organizing and cleaning up before and after the lab.
Enjoy people
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 March 2018
Toxic work environment with leaders, Learnt not to trust any one, leaving students difficult, student appr├ęciated my effort. My office once a hallway, very creative.
Pros
Some Freedom with time
Cons
Like a bunch of big kids

Comment – 9 May 2018

When I was on campus my office also was an entrance! It had no neat or windows...

Great Learning Experience
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 February 2018
Working in an academic culture is completely different than most. Learning how to navigate through that can be hard.
Great people in the office, managers were ok.
Pros
spent more on parking than on gas
Cons
very little work to do
Excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 February 2018
The job gives me the opportunity to develop my research skills. I am being supervised by a Professor who I deem to be the best in research as far as Aboriginal Law is concerned. Hence, he engages me with challenging questions that requires hard work to answer.
Strict but honorable supervisor, nice people, beautiful environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 February 2018
It was the place that I used to spent most of the time in Saskatoon. With one of the most historical buildings, this university was all the start for my life in Canada. I've learnt a lot from my professors and met with many nice people.
After I graduated, my supervisor offered me with an opportunity to be a teaching assistant. It was an honor to work with him and to teach the next students. The hardest part being a TA is build the confidence for myself so that I can teach well. My supervisor told me that never underestimated yourself, and I followed. I think I would benefit from the sentence for my whole life.
Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 January 2018
I have enjoyed my time at the university, I have learned a lot and have developed most of my skills as a professional through their programs. They offer lots of teaching opportunities for grad students.
Fun
English professor assistant (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 December 2017
Loved working this job. Lots of marking but I got to do it from the luxury of my own home or in office by myself. Wished the job was permanent because it was very fun and enjoyable job.
Co-supervisor of M.Sc (part time) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 December 2017
The job is inspiring and comprehensive but funding for equipment can be very limited, and this impacts on the quality of research that is being performed.
Good Work, Good Culture
STRATEGIC BUSINESS ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 October 2017
The U of S is a very good place to work. It is a unique environment, but there is plenty of opportunity to learn and grow for those who are motivated to take it on.
Pros
Flexibility, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Bureaucracy, Political Sensitivies
good place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 August 2017
I worked as research assistant, the salary is not good. work weekdays and weekend, no overtime payment. But people are nice to work with, supervisor is gentle
Fantastic
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 August 2017
The University of Saskatchewan is a workplace driven by the same goals as the institution itself: innovation, enthusiasm, transparency, and a stark belief in the potential of its people. I couldn't recommend it more highly.
Excellent
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 August 2017
A typical day at U of S was a perfect work life balance.
I learned how to achieve balance between work and life. Management was friendly and always gave the freedom to express my opinions on the work I do. Workplace culture is to encourage the freedom of speech and thought. It was a warm and friendly environment. Hardest part of the job was to collect the information from 10 years for the literature review. The most enjoyable part was that the job was pretty challenging and exciting.
Pros
Interaction with professor
Cons
nil