University of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews

the university was a great place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  university os saskatchewan22 January 2019
there was never a shortage of work
I learned many international recipes I picked up
the volume that would come for meals was impressive
the chefs were some of the best I worked with
Great learning experience
Research Assistant/ Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 January 2019
The Computer Science department has great staff that are willing to help in any troubling situation. The environment is very friendly and the work is challenging and forces you to learn and adapt.
Research Student
Directed Research Student (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 January 2019
This was a rewarding elective during my final year of pharmacy school. My responsibilities including gathering student data, evaluating the data, and formulating a conclusion based off the information gathered. I developed many useful skills.
Declining environment
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 January 2019
Used to be awesome place to work. Still sounds like professional employees are pretty happy but support workers are experiencing increased work loads with staff cut backs and buy outs. Knowledgeable people are gone and many not replaced and if replaced training is greatly lacking. I work in a great College and with a great group but due to continual cut backs and restructuring at the university I wonder how much longer until we are out of work. Lack of contract for 3 yrs and direction university is going with it is not encouraging at all as we are being threatened with wages being red circled and pay ranges reduced, loss of sick time, pension erosion, and possible job action looming. Very discouraging and no longer matches what I signed on under. I feel loyalty to my College and group but betrayed by the larger institution.
Pros
Beautiful campus with many great people
Cons
Erodng work environment
Good university that offers a great learning experience.
ME - 495 Capstone Design Project (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 December 2018
Engineering requires a tremendous amount of time and effort. This greatly affects work life balance. Additionally, you have to pay to be in school, so that is a definite con.
Pros
Getting a Degree
Cons
Long Hours, Expensive
It is a reputed university
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  CA21 December 2018
It is a reputed university and world-class university in Canada. This university provides great knowledge to the students. I think it is one of the best research universities in Canada
Pros
World Class Research
Cons
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 December 2018
Good place to work for I worked for University of Saskatchewan as a graduate research assistant in Faculty of Engineering. The professors are night and payment is decent.
A typical day
PhD student and Teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 December 2018
I really like everything about it. My typical workday as a Ph.D. student is doing research and running experiments in the lab and on my computer. Starting at 8:30 am, Lunchtime is around 12 and it takes almost 40 minutes and going home around 4:30 pm.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Busy lab and hard to focus
Just pass
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 November 2018
When I started there I loved it. By the time I was done it had destroyed every bit of that. Incompetence was the perfectly acceptable as was every excuse to not make changes for the better.
Amazing campus
Psychiatric Observer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 November 2018
Was here only briefly in an unpaid role. The campus is amazing and everyone I worked with was amazing. I would highly recommend any opportunity to experience the University of Saskatchewan.
Exciting work
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 November 2018
I really enjoyed working in the history department. I learn a lot of new skills and a lot of history about my home community. I was able to bring what I learned here home and it helped us begin our healing journey and to reclaim our identity.
My understanding
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Professor Visiting Scholarship30 October 2018
It is a suitable university for researching and learning. All facilities are available for chemistry. Academic members are all responsible for their duties.
Teaching Assistant (Lab Instructor) (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 October 2018
The U of S is a very relaxed yet structured environment to work in featuring many skilled and knowledgeable professors and staff. Every department has a semi different culture for the workplace but as many of the staff come from the prairies, and those who do not are influenced by prairie students, everyone has a very down to Earth demeanor that is comforting to work alongside.
Great
Teaching Assistant/Masters Student (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 October 2018
Reasonable workload and payment for the required duties, focused on mostly graduate work, there was a good balance between work and schoolwork and research
Good workplace
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada22 October 2018
Vibrant workplace. Great benefits. Lots of politics and mismanagement. Not as diverse as it should be. Progress is difficult for young "non-local" professionals without "connections".
Benefits
Cons
Traditional hierarchical management
Clerical Assistant, Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 October 2018
Great atmosphere, good people to work with. Steady hours with time to get off and great benefits. Overall, good place of employment for people wanting to advance.
innovative
Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan12 October 2018
The University of Saskatchewan is the largest education institution in the province and has the most extensive programming in the region. It is usually a middle of the pack university by Canadian standards.
highly currupted
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 August 2018
Highly corrupted Senior Administration. Lots of politics. Most of the faculty members are there to pursue their salary. I do not perceived any ethical maturity from most of the faculty members.
poor pay
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  University of Saskatchewan15 August 2018
they dont pay very well, training not great. most employees have been there for many years and are set in their ways. Not open to new comers.
Great events on campus,
poor benefitd
beautiful setting
once had acces to gyn not they look that away
Pros
beautiful location
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Good place
Mitacs Globalink Internship (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon9 August 2018
There are several ongoing training opportunities, and depending on who your Director is, you could have an amazing direct team experience, too. Friendly stuff