University of Ottawa

University of Ottawa Pay & benefits reviews

Canada383 reviews
Great place to work. Hours are long, I loved my job. Great benefits. Challenging to balance work and life. Great campus and atmosphere on campus. A lot of walking.
Pros
great job
Cons
very long hours
Being a CA is a lot of fun, but there is very little pay, even if residence is paid and the hours are not determined and there is very little time off.
The job was pretty boring, there was no clear room for advancement and doing the job was always harder with the instructions given by superiors. There were no benefits.
I worked with a professor in statistics. My research topic is about math, so it is not easy. My professor is a nice guy, he helped me a lot and gave me a really good salary.
The work is flexible and interesting, and the student union prevents things from going too far south if you're a graduate Teaching Assistant. However, it is almost a guarantee that you will be asked/coerced into doing unpaid overtime.
The pace is slow and very relaxed. The work is too easy, but there are other benifits: excellent work/life balance, no stress, excellent public transportation location.
Pros
easy work
Cons
boring
The work is mainly done in an office setting with productive and fun PhD students who are willing to help you to achieve what you are going to do. Free food too!
Overall rating* - 10
Job Work/Life Balance- 9

Salary/Benefits- 10
Job Security/Advancement- 9
Management- 9

Job Culture- 9.

Working with university as a teaching assistant
J'aimais l'ambiance du travail, j'ai appris le sens de la propreté, de l'organisation.
Pros
Repas presque gratuit
Cons
Réduction des heures de travail souvent
Working at uOttawa is nice because I can make pocket money while studying, all in one place. They are very considerate about your school schedule and are willing to work around it.
Great place to work for. The work environment is fun since it is an educational institution with students. Great view of the campus. More can be done to improve salary benefits
the coworkers are great, sometimes management is not.
The union is great and definitely provides job security for those not in management.

The benefits you receive are also quite helpful.
good place to learn and grow.
The pay is quite good but since I was on contract, did not qualify for benefits.
It gave me a great opportunity to learn and grow.
Not a good place to work. Full of politics and no acceptable management. profs are not knowledgeable enough and the TA allocation is random. Not good supervisors.
Doing Engineer work. Good Organization, but salary was not high.
I just did part-time, but the atmospher is great.

Generally Good, though it was temporary job.
As a teaching assistant, uOttawa has been a great experience so far. I have had no trouble balancing teaching with my schoolwork. The pay is good (few hours, but that is expected). It is a nice little boost to my groceries every week.
Pros
Flexible hours, great employers and coworkers
Cons
Few hours
The University of Ottawa offers excellent employment conditions and salary. Professors are given wide latitude in the material to be covered in a given course and in their approach to teaching.
As a copy editor, I had to find my own clients. They paid only slightly above minimum wage for professional editing services at an undergraduate/masters level. Many issues arose and were never resolved by uOttawa
Worked there for several years only to get shafted 3 years before my pension. So not worth the aggravation. I'm not the only one this happened to.
Benefits
Cons
Management/union
Decent amount of funding and resources. Supervision good, depending on Professor. Administration horrible - slow, unresponsive. Overall good choice of institution if research topic is one of its specialties in your department.
Good place to work as a student to help pay off student loans. Decent pay. Helpful instructors, excellent overall experience. Would recommend to other students at uO.