University of Ottawa
Happiness score is 69 out of 100

University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Canada444 reviews

uottawauniversityprofessorstudentcanadatateachingbilingual

Fun place to work but low salary

Work life balance is good but the salary is not in line with experience. Flexibility is good. I get leave and vacation time. Only complain is that the salary is low as per the experience. For example I pay 200 dollars for just the parking.

Poor work environment.

I’ve worked in Universities in USA, UK, France, and Canada. The University of Ottawa has the worst working environment, very toxic.Management offers no support.

Insights into University of Ottawa

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

L’ambiance et la culture est très mauvaise

J’ai travaillé à quelques reprise à l’université les haut dirigeants sont très déplaisant, impolie, manque beaucoup de professionnalisme, La culture de l’université est très mauvaise..

Great Place to Work

University of Ottawa is an excellent employer. A very laid back, yet professional atmosphere. The only downside is that if you are an adjunct professor you may not be assigned a class every semester.

An amazing work experience and work environment. It is focused on the well-being of everyone on the team

I love working at University of Ottawa it gives me a great sense of purpose being there. The interactions with the students helping them and accommodating them leads to personal satisfaction for me.

Un bon endroit pour acquérir de l’expérience

Un bon endroit pour acquérir de l’expérience. Jai beaucoup aimé mon expérience.

Fun and little to no micro managing

It's easy work if you know your subject and you will find yourself working a lot less than the number of hours you are paid for. Depending on the professor you work under there will literally no micro management.

Collaborative work environment

Collaborative work environment but payment not always interesting particularly when not a full time professor. Part time professors need more courses by session to have a reasonable pay.

Interesting work

I have worked in a lab. Interesting work. You get to work in your field and design experiments to meet the objective of whatever project you are working on.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

No teamwork

Fun place to work

Working at the University of Ottawa is fun and not too stressful. Work-life balance is not a problem and there's often place for growth within the job.

I found teaching Business Englidh at Ottawa University to be a very challenging and unpleasant experience.

I have taught in many different locations and with many obstacles that I needed to overcome...I was presented with 2 TAs whom were no help at all My Business English class consisted of 103 students many of them foreign...I would have preferred to have had no TAs.They manipulated my power points...did not help prepare any classes and I did all the editing and correcting.

Pros

No pros Except for very nice students.

Cons

administration was non existent ...

Not really fun to work as a student

Not really fun to work as a student. Work from home since the beginning of covid. No really any benefits for contract workers. It is not busy but stressful.

Todo bien.

Todo bien, es una muy buena universidad y prestan toda la ayuda necesaria.

Good TA experience

The TA experience was good. The process to go through was pretty quick and simple. You're given a set number of hours to work per term, and while you can go over that and get paid more, that's pretty rare. Overall it's a pretty good gig.

Excellent

Super bonne expérience pour le travail en même temps que les études. Salaires très compétitif dans le milieu de la recherche!

Fun place to work

Fun, but not much chance for an advancement, contract work. Learned how to run experiments for undergrad students. The culture was okay, not much drama.

Depends what unit you work in

My personal experience at the Faculty of Social Sciences has been amazing, but your experience will vary LARGELY depending on your work group. There are dozens of little 'mini-cultures' scattered throughout the university, so it is difficult to determine whether you are getting a good environment before starting. Overtime is very common across the uni, and I regularly receive emails on the weekend and at 11pm, but I personally do not need to work overtime very often. The university does offer a lot of amazing benefits, and in my opinion, they really do care about their employees. They gave us the day before Victoria Day and the Day after Canada day as university-wide holidays, to compensate for the difficult working environment during the pandemic. They also had many free lunches/activities across campus all summer for the staff. Unfortuantely, if you are looking for a cutting-edge and innovation WORKING environment, this is not the place. They are VERY slow to adapt to change, so do not expect modern policies, efficient programs, and innovative managers! In this way, the uni is just like other government institutions; inefficient and unnecessarily difficult to get certain things done. Things eventually become modernized, but don't expect it to come quickly.

Pros

Employee benefits (free food, days off, university wide Christmas holiday, vaccine clinics, etc.), Many opportunities for advancement

Cons

Parking ($$$, and hard to get a spot), very bureaucratic, pay below gov. alternatives, ancient systems/software (finance, hr, payroll, etc.)

great

Great. Student job. Work from home. Good pay. Not alot of work. Easy. One month quick job. Not much else to say really. Set own schedule just had to meet a deadline.

uOttawa is excellent for international postdocs and newcomers to Canada. There were lots of mentorship and training opportunities.

The job was excellent for newcomers to Canada, there were lots of learning opportunities. There were teaching and learning training sessions. Professors are were willing to provide mentorship, workspace and tools were accessible. A free intercampus ride was available. Postdoc enjoyed extended health insurance benefits covering eye care, dental and drugs.

Pros

Health insurance

Cons

Salary was good, but not commensurate with qualification

In my field I work with a lot of different equipment every day. Each shift is a learning experience and it's actually almost fun getting stuff done without being under a crazy time constraint and this is my first job I didn't dread going to.

Pros

Good benefits, central location, good pay, excellent work life balance

Great place

I enjoyed my time working at the university. I gain a lot of experience and I enjoyed my co-workers and supervisors. They are very accomodating and helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Ottawa with

University of Ottawa reviews by location

Learn about University of Ottawa in popular locations