University of Ottawa
Happiness score is 77 out of 100

University of Ottawa Employee Reviews

Fun place to work

Fun, but not much chance for an advancement, contract work. Learned how to run experiments for undergrad students. The culture was okay, not much drama.

Depends what unit you work in

My personal experience at the Faculty of Social Sciences has been amazing, but your experience will vary LARGELY depending on your work group. There are dozens of little 'mini-cultures' scattered throughout the university, so it is difficult to determine whether you are getting a good environment before starting. Overtime is very common across the uni, and I regularly receive emails on the weekend and at 11pm, but I personally do not need to work overtime very often. The university does offer a lot of amazing benefits, and in my opinion, they really do care about their employees. They gave us the day before Victoria Day and the Day after Canada day as university-wide holidays, to compensate for the difficult working environment during the pandemic. They also had many free lunches/activities across campus all summer for the staff. Unfortuantely, if you are looking for a cutting-edge and innovation WORKING environment, this is not the place. They are VERY slow to adapt to change, so do not expect modern policies, efficient programs, and innovative managers! In this way, the uni is just like other government institutions; inefficient and unnecessarily difficult to get certain things done. Things eventually become modernized, but don't expect it to come quickly.

Pros

Employee benefits (free food, days off, university wide Christmas holiday, vaccine clinics, etc.), Many opportunities for advancement

Cons

Parking ($$$, and hard to get a spot), very bureaucratic, pay below gov. alternatives, ancient systems/software (finance, hr, payroll, etc.)

great

Great. Student job. Work from home. Good pay. Not alot of work. Easy. One month quick job. Not much else to say really. Set own schedule just had to meet a deadline.

uOttawa is excellent for international postdocs and newcomers to Canada. There were lots of mentorship and training opportunities.

The job was excellent for newcomers to Canada, there were lots of learning opportunities. There were teaching and learning training sessions. Professors are were willing to provide mentorship, workspace and tools were accessible. A free intercampus ride was available. Postdoc enjoyed extended health insurance benefits covering eye care, dental and drugs.

Pros

Health insurance

Cons

Salary was good, but not commensurate with qualification

In my field I work with a lot of different equipment every day. Each shift is a learning experience and it's actually almost fun getting stuff done without being under a crazy time constraint and this is my first job I didn't dread going to.

Pros

Good benefits, central location, good pay, excellent work life balance

Great place

I enjoyed my time working at the university. I gain a lot of experience and I enjoyed my co-workers and supervisors. They are very accomodating and helpful.

Awful management

Awful reception manager Management doesn't respect their employees They treat them very badly and over work them while still under paying them There is no yearly raise They can change the schedule last minute and expect you not to have another life Your life should be just work

Cons

Over working employee/bad managers/

Perspective from an RPN employed at this clinic.

Worked at UOHS for 2.5 years. It started to go very down hill over the last year. Unable to keep nursing and reception staff at this point. Extremely poor managed office. Lack of professionalism by all upper management. Nursing Team Leader and Reception Manager lack maturity and proper ethics to effectively run the department. No HR team in place currently. No room for advancement as an RPN. Currently not offering any type of raises to any staff or performance review. Toxic work environnement. Very little to no positive feedback from Nursing team lead. Job posting looks good on paper but please remember to read reviews on other websites as well to really understand what is going inside that clinic before wasting your time. Sending good luck to all those RPN's looking for a positive job change but this place is not where you will find that. This is coming from a someone who left and it was the best choice I could have made. Only regret is not leaving sooner.

Pros

Good hours, day shifts, benefit package, little to no holidays or weekends

Constant problem-solving and challenges

Worked/studied as a grad student in science for 2.5 years at uOttawa. Work was engaging and stimulating, but days were long and work is always taken home with you. Pay is bad by employment standards, but breaking even while earning a degree is an absolute win. Experiences depend solely on department/supervisor.

Pros

High-paced and engaging work.

Cons

Very little free time.

As a student, this is the best you can get. Not ideal.

Not an ideal job, but as a student, a Research Assistant positions is pretty much all you can get. You get flexible hours, and if you have an understanding supervisor, you can easily balance your work and life.

Flexible

Note taking was collaborative and flexible. I was able to take my own notes and work collaboratively with another student notetaker and the student. It's an excellent job for a first year student in the work student program.

Cons

there was no standardized note taking module/program. We ended up making our own.

Environnement de travail enrichissant

Travailler comme assistant de recherche à l'Université d'Ottawa a été extrêmement enrichissant et motivant.

Fun place

I worked as a Teaching Assistant in University of Ottawa. I assisted undergraduate students by conducting labs, holding tutorials, marking assignments and midterm exams for the course.

Very fun place to work.

Great place to work. Its a very fun environment. If sports are your thing you will probably enjoy working here. A large variety of positions and people.

Crazy busy, challenging, worthwhile

Great place to work. Hours are long, I loved my job. Great benefits. Challenging to balance work and life. Great campus and atmosphere on campus. A lot of walking.

Pros

great job

Cons

very long hours

Environnement dynamique

Très soucieux de la formation et du suivi des étudiants dans le milieu professionnel.

Teaching students of undergrad

The University provides excellent atmosphere for the instructors and teaching assistants. I enjoyed very much of the time I've been employed by the University.

Great experience

Working as an RA (research assistant) was perfect for me! It got me into the working field of the University of Ottawa. My team was supportive, kind, very understanding, dynamic and happy. You always felt listened.

Decent opportunities for graduates

Typical day at University of Ottawa as a Teaching Assistant looks like helping students with their assignments and labs, mentoring them and helping professors in checking assignments and proctoring.

Relaxed workplace

I really like working in the University of Ottawa as a researcher whom was supplied with anything to do my project in a relaxed environment working with reliable and supportive people.

Great university

awesome university for master studies. its multicultural and has a diverse environment which is amazing. get to interact with a lot of different people from different backgrounds

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3