University of Ontario Institute of Technology

University of Ontario Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Canada78 reviews
Great experience and nice people
Great experience and friendly people; however, the pay is not comparative to the estimated work estimation and effort. I recommend working for the experience though as it helps personal and professional growth.
Productive, professional workplace
Unpaid position as a research assistant. However, great workplace culture. Able to learn a great deal of research skills as a research assistant that can lead to graduate opportunities
Pros
Lots of learning
Cons
Plenty of learning possibilities and intellectually stimulating environment
UOIT is a welcoming and inclusive community of creative and supportive professionals. UOIT life is filled with career-oriented, knowledge sharing and social get together events and numerous opportunities to learn new skills.
Great Place with Great People
During my work with Ontario Tech University I experienced much joy and little stress. The salary wasn't amazing, but the environment was greatly appreciated.
Management is very supportive
I enjoy teaching at UOIT as the students are very studious and the management is very cooperative. The campus is very nice yet parking can be challenging at times.
Positive and Welcoming Environment
I worked a number of research contracts for a variety of past professors. Communication between all three professors and myself was clear, swift and efficient. I was exposed to a variety of research methods and had the opportunity to develop my skills within interview analysis, legal document analysis, as well as subject assessment and test analysis. Flexible working hours and locations was very appreciated and enjoyable. The most difficult part of the job was bringing all methods and information together to present a cohesive whole.
Working for a university...
It's what you'd expect. It's a safe job, great pay and benefits, but it's a huge organization and thus lacks innovation and creativity. I also worked 3 back to back contracts before leaving. I know I would have been kept on if budgets allowed but contracts are a trend at universities and once a contract is up sometimes the job is cut or the job is re-allocated to a completely different department.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Boring
Good job to have while at school
A typical day would consist of helping students find research for papers and showing them proper editing techniques for their writing. The staff made it easy to manage work and school. If any last minute issues arose and I was not able to attend work, management was very helpful and understanding. It was also very rewarding knowing that the help you gave students was beneficial for them.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Ontario Institute of Technology?
Great summer opportunity
During a summer semester, i had worked along side lab professors for a short term. I had a great overall experience.
Productive and highly organized workplace
Flexible working hours from home, online job with good pay and benefits. Wish if it was full time job. Love the experience had while working there with the professors. It opened more job opportunities for me.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Flexible hours
Its very dependent on your boss
I worked under two professors both were amazing and pay was great, I've heard it is not the case for all TA and RA roles though.

Work is typically alright, Teaching Assistant is an easier role than Research
Amazing place to work
Worked here part-time as a student amazing atmosphere with great people. Learned a lot of skills that have made me more successful for other opportunities
Pros
Work-life Balance, Amazing co-workers
professional
takes good care of employees with good health benefits. Decent pay. Provides good hours. Good workplace culture. Friendly colleagues. Good Atmosphere.
I love being a TA
UOIT is a fun school to work at and being a TA is a passion of mine.
I have this job to help pay for my Masters degree here and while the pay isn't amazing I find every course I have been a TA for has been fun and interesting. I'd love to keep working here if I could afford it.
Fun work environment
Best place to get experience as a starting professional. Employers are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The workplace has a very light atmoshphere but still maintains professionalism.
Contract Work
Temporary contract work. Pay was adequate, no benefits, no options for contract renewal. Excellent opportunity for recent graduates or persons looking for temporary work.
As a student I COnsider the workplace environment very welcoming
My foocus is my studies, due to this, the school that I attend allows me to interact and network with season professionals who can accomodate me in my future endavours
a typical day at work
A typical day at work includes marking and grading over 60 essays or exams while providing thorough feedback. Students also come into office hours to ask for help regarding the specific course.
Productive and a good environment for research
UOIT is a great place for performing research specifically in nuclear engineering where you get to work with academic experts and industrial professional. Particularly, I worked on reliability analysis of safety systems in nuclear power plant and the pursuit for small modular reactor technology and its application to Northern Canada.
Interesting way of learning
Was able to help students understand what was required to complete the course successfully. Relearned course material as a result of teaching it, because material had to be recreated for teaching purposes (i.e. Powerpoint).
Conversion calling was fun
really easy job and is easy to do along with school. Only 8 hours a week. Supervisors was really nice and relaxed. It was easy to talk about the programs and to the students. A lot of students didn't have questions anyways that we called.
Pros
Work around school, Nice office space
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Ontario Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.
4.5